Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running board gap between heat channel and board
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

Yep the Mexican jbug running boards are crap! At least on 78 super they are. Lol...I got one on after 2 hrs of messing around but was wondering about the gap between the heater channels and and running board? Seems like a large gap, but my 67 also has a gap but not as large. What do yours look like? Gap size?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

About a decade ago I bought some running board rubber covers from a shop in California, installed those onto my factory running boards on my 1971 Convertible. A little hassle, but worked good and the running boards themselves were in good shape. Maybe like this: https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Running-Board-Mats-B...11-011.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

My car had a set of "el crappo" aftermarket running boards on it when I bought it. Their fit was poor, and the metal super-thin -- you could easily dent them by pushing in with just your thumb. Bleh!

I later purchased a set of the running boards that Wolfsburg West offers, and was pleasantly surprised with their excellent quality and fit. No trouble installing them - everything matched up and was quick and easy. Metal nice and thick as well. Highly recommend you consider a set of theirs, if you're after decent fit and quality.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

Mine look like this

Too much space.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

Years ago, I bought a set of West Coast Metric running boards. I bought them from Wolfgang International, however. The guy there said they were better than German.

He was absolutely correct! Perfect fit, and they still look like new. Nice, thick metal and rubber, and the paint underneath is still showing no signs of deterioration.

I've removed them several times while doing work on other things, and am still amazed at the quality.

They cost more than the cheapie ones, but once done, you're done. Well worth the money.

P.s. No gap whatsoever.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

Bugeye54487 wrote:
Mine look like this

Too much space.

Wow! Yeah, that is a LOT of gap - something strange going on there. You do have them bolted to the heater channels (4 or 5 fastening points, I think), as well as front and rear fenders, right? No gap like that on my current nice running boards, nor even with the poor quality ones that came on the car when I first got it - ?? Hmmm...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

I can vouch for Wolfsburg West as well.

Running both sides... RB
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

No gap at all on my 1974 Super Bertle.

Richard O'Brien
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

Bugeye, did you first attach the RB to the fenders, and then attempt to fasten them to the heat channels? If so, then it's quite possible that the holes at the front and rear of the RB are too far inward. Or- if you have aftermarket fenders, those holes for the RB might be too far outboard. Suggest you loosen all attachment bolts, push the RB against the heat channels and hold them in place with the M6 bolts, then inspect the alignment of the holes for the fenders. Mark any differences, file/elongate/drill as needed, then use the 2 bolts to fasten to the fenders.

Years ago I placed a rubber O-seal around each of the M6 bolts as a spacer from the RB to the heat channel, so that rain water could easily fall down. Seal was from the type on garden hose connectors. Also, use anti-seize grease on all of the bolt threads. If you have low-end RB now with its thin metal, also recommend to use fender washers under the bolt heads for the heat channels to spread the tighening of the bolt head over a larger area of the thin RB metal.

And... just before your final tightening of all fasteners, push the RB down so that its bottom edge is even with the bottom curve of the fender. Many times you see RB which are a "thumb's width" higher than the bottoms of the fenders. Here's a press photo of a '77 Std Beetle where you can see the nice continuous line formed by the bottom of the RB and the bottom curves of the fenders.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

Bugeye54487 wrote:
Mine look like this

Too much space.

You need to finish putting all the screws in. Shocked
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

I put these on last week, they lined up very well. got them from Wolfsburg West.
it's a 71 SB. worth the few extra $.
The ones in your pic. look like the trim has been painted instead of chromed ???

MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Running board gap between heat channel and board Reply with quote

I tried those Mexican units and couldn't send them back fast enough! Ended up ordering the German units and they fit like a glove. Make sure you follow proper procedure though! You can't just drop out the old and install the new. You must loosen the lower couple fender bolts to allow movement.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: