Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to me 1975 Super Beetle project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Took the fuel injectors to a local place to clean and test them. Good news is they all work and cleaning made a big difference! Excited to get these back in this weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

What a great service! I did not know that was available.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
What a great service! I did not know that was available.

yeah! I'm glad I found them (several here in my city, but seems like they are everywhere). Mostly mail-order but being local was speedier. www.injectorrx.com was the one I used.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Not that hard to do. Cut the old fuel lines off. Then it is one big (either 17 or 19mm) nut to undo that secures it to the firewall tin. Easy! You got it!

Shocked that wound up taking like 2 hours. Inside the engine bay was easy part - that line came off easy. But I couldn't get the clamp and line underneath to budge. The angles I could get my hands in there just weren't very helpful to getting any torque anywhere.

So tedious but done, and that is the last of the old fuel lines!

plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

An update after a while (where does the time go...)!

After a bunch of work, I've confirmed that fuel is flowing through the system using a new fuel pump, lines, pressure regulator, the works. Yippie!

Lately, I've been diagnosing no spark from the coil. This is my first time ever work with distributors and coils, so all new to me.

The regular diagnosis showed no spark coming out of the coil, so I eventually replaced the coil, the points, and the condenser. Still no spark! Following the diagnosis steps at http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/spark.htm it looks like I'm not getting any current flow when the condenser is connected to the coil.

Looking closer at my distributor internals compared to others, besides looking kinda grimy, it looks like the advanced plate is stuck and that some part (I'm not sure what that little lobe part is called) is contacting the condenser terminal and that seems to be the source of my trouble. The ground strap to the advance plate is nasty but still a solid connection. For those that know more - does that sound right?

This is the 0231 176 044 distributor, with a dual vacuum advance. This car came with one of the vacuum advance lines disconnected, so I assume there was some trouble with it in the past.

I have a brand new Hot Spark 3BOS4U1 distributor with electronic ignition, which is supposed to be the right model for the 044 distributor. At this point, is it worth it for me to pull this old distributor out and rebuild it, or just put this new one in and give that a go?

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Both - put in the HS one to see it will run, and rebuild the original solex to clear out the crud.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Progress! Today I had actual combustion on engine start. A couple in a row even.

I was going methodically through the troubleshooting guide for the l-jetronic FI system after replacing the distributor and found that the double relay isn't 100%, so one of those is on order.

I also found that I still wasn't getting fuel pressure even after verifying everything on the new fuel lines, tank, pump, filter, etc. TL;DR I discovered that red/black wires on this car do not mean what I think they mean. 🤪 So some more time with the Bentley manual to make sure I understand the wiring and don't just assume.

But great news is, it tries to start and it's behaving the way I would expect right now. I need to get that new relay, make sure the timing is good again after installing the new distributor (first time doing it so I want to double, triple check), and then I should be g2g I think!
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

I had user name heimlich from Texas rebuild my distributer . And it is perfect.
I would use refurbished original parts where you can. Keep up the good work..
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

finefettle wrote:
I had user name heimlich from Texas rebuild my distributer . And it is perfect.
I would use refurbished original parts where you can. Keep up the good work..

Good tip! I got a rebuilt one that's matched for this engine - turns out the one that was in there was not quite the right model (but fine I'm sure). I'll get that one rebuilt for future use!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

And... she lives! Today was first start after ~13 years of sitting.

Link

After this I got the timing and idle speed adjusted properly.

Beside the replacement delay, distributor, and all the other work I did, the last thing I had to do was connect the upper crankcase vent hose to the S-boot; if that wasn't connected, or closed, then the engine would not run for more than a couple ignitions. As you can tell, I do not have a correct fitting hose so that's the next project in the list!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

I guess everything I've done so far:

• replace fuel pump, all rubber fuel lines, and fuel filter
  • replace fuel tank, fuel float sensor, and hoses to filler neck
  • replace fuel pressure regulator
  • cleaned out hard fuel lines running through body
  • removed and had all 5 fuel injectors professionally cleaned and tested
  • replaced distributor with rebuilt model matching this engine (and new points, condenser, cap, rotor, etc. as part of that)
  • replaced plug wires
  • replaced coil
  • found a new hose for the oil filler neck crankcase vent to the air filter (missing)
  • found a new hose that doesn't fit! for the upper crankcase vent to the air filter
  • replaced most of the vacuum lines (a few remaining that are in OK shape)
  • various electrical connection replacements, fuses, etc.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Both the EGR vacuum line and the retard vacuum line to the dual vacuum distributor are not connected. I'd like to fix both of those as it doesn't seem like anything was wrong with either vacuum canister.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

plextor wrote:
Both the EGR vacuum line and the retard vacuum line to the dual vacuum distributor are not connected. I'd like to fix both of those as it doesn't seem like anything was wrong with either vacuum canister.
a word of advice, don't connect the Retard side of the canister just the advance. If the Retard side does work it won't for long. Plus the engine idles better without that feature. On mine i have the retard line hooked up, but I have the line blocked internally. I wanted it to look original but don't want to ruin the canister. If you do this time at 7.5 degrees before top dead center instead of 5 degrees after. Also check your timing at full Advanced. It's way more important than idle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
plextor wrote:
a word of advice, don't connect the Retard side of the canister just the advance. If the Retard side does work it won't for long. Plus the engine idles better without that feature. On mine i have the retard line hooked up, but I have the line blocked internally. I wanted it to look original but don't want to ruin the canister. If you do this time at 7.5 degrees before top dead center instead of 5 degrees after. Also check your timing at full Advanced. It's way more important than idle

thx!! good to know
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Boy, with the engine running it sure is a lot easier to spot those exhaust leaks!

I've got a new muffler on order and put some exhaust paste on there for now. I'll likely remove the EGR filter and cap it off at the catalytic converter port rather than replacing it.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

Congrats on your success.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

yum!?

plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

As detailed a bit more in https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9862355 I had a problem with 2 of the cylinders not firing.

Turns out two fuel injectors were bad (even after the fancy cleaning job earlier in this thread), so I replaced all 4 and now its running great.

I think the cold start injector might also be troublesome so I'll test that one in the next set of projects.

I was able to get it on the road and drive it around the block a couple of times. It's a car again!

Link
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

What a great feeling! Congratulations! Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 1975 Super Beetle project Reply with quote

And a full walk-around now that it has been washed and driven a few miles. It is driving great!

Things that are up next:

• tires (and maybe wheels)
  • figure out if cold start injector is actually working, and replace it if not
  • replacing hard evap system lines and changing the charcoal in the canister
  • replacing my janky oil breather hoses with something more permanent
  • fixing interior panels where they've come unattached
  • pulling the dash off and rewiring / replacing the fuse box and getting it mounted properly
  • installing the OEM clock for this unit into the dash
  • replacing the stereo with something less 90s
  • figuring out why fan motor isn't working
  • clean out all the air vents (yikes)
  • replacing windshield washer bottle system with a 12v one
  • replacing muffler and tail pipe
  • maybe remove remainder of EGR system (right now filter and pipe have been removed and muffler pipe blocked)
  • replacing various rubber grommets for wiring
  • figuring out why bumper's rubber grommet isn't staying put
  • cleaning/polishing bumpers!
  • disc brake conversion

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: