Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6V Cranking A Later Engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DANP85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Hey all, to what displacement/compression will a 6V system still reasonably crank and start without issues? Will it still crank a 1776 or larger engine with 8:1 or higher compression? Thanks heaps in advance!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

It'll work just fine, you just may want to swap the solenoid for a 12 volt for longevity.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

I may be off base here, but I get the impression the OP is asking about a fully 6v setup, not a 6v starter running on 12v.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Ah, yes, that does seem to be the case Laughing

Should work fine, as long as everything is in healthy shape connection wise, unless you have a weird setup with unusually high compression or funky valve timing.

It may be tricky fitting a 6 volt flywheel to a late engine though, unless you find a 200mm flywheel with a 6 volt ring gear.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Ah, yes, that does seem to be the case Laughing

Should work fine, as long as everything is in healthy shape connection wise, unless you have a weird setup with unusually high compression or funky valve timing.

It may be tricky fitting a 6 volt flywheel to a late engine though, unless you find a 200mm flywheel with a 6 volt ring gear.

DPR offers the 200mm 6V flywheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DANP85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Jason37,

DPR offers the 200mm 6V flywheels.
Who is DPR? Thanks.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

http://dprmachine.com/
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Been using a 6 volt starter on my 1835 since the 90's, compression is around 9:1. The only thing that killed it once was continually cranking it, got to give it some time to cool off if you have starting issues. But yeah, it spins fast and lights off immediately once things are dialed in
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Just to clarify, my car is 6 volt, and is staying 6 volt. It's a European 58 Bug sold new in Belgium. I've owned it close to 40 years. I want to freshen up the original number matching 36 horse engine. My plan is to put the 6Volt flywheel on a 1600 I have sitting around. That way I can still drive the car. esde, I leave the 6 volt starter when I upgrade a car to 12 volts. Been doing that for years.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V Cranking A Later Engine Reply with quote

Forgot to say I found a 6 volt flywheel that came off a 1600. A local guy has it. Also getting the clutch disk and pressure plate. I should be good to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: