Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

Is my distributor missing something or is this the wrong condenser? I've been running a Bosch 009 for years now, and lucked up recently on a factory Bosch 0 231 167 049. I went to Napa to get points/condenser for it. The points fit just fine. But with the condenser, there doesn't seem to be a way to secure it to the distributor. On the Bosch 009, the condenser has little forks that stick out and hold the condenser in place. Should the 049 have something similar? Or is this just the wrong condenser? The Napa site says this one is "guaranteed to fit", but, it just doesn't seem to. I think it would fit my 009. Am I missing something, either in parts or in understanding?

Can I make it work by just cutting the connectors and running a butt connector through the hole?

Also, last question, the retard on my canister is blown out, but the advance works. When I finally get this running, am I correct in assuming I can run advance only, and time at 7.5° like an svda?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

There's a little "fork" piece that's held on by that screw that the plastic grommet fits into. One of the distributor rebuilders on here will probably have one available. You can see it in this pic.

And yes you can time it like a SVDA, vac line unplugged 28-32° BTDC at full rpm.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

You might have a look at the Bosch Tune Up Charts that I compiled myself using only VW and Bosch publications.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bosch_tune_up_parts.php

Yes, different 70s era distributors used different condensers and the round hole vs square hole was a main difference along with the condenser having the bracket for the condenser or if that bracket was a separate part.

I'll quote the text from my pdf document linked to above, these list Bosch's warehousing "short" part number and not the full long number. Look in that pdf for more detail.

Quote:
Condensers from the late 60s onward on SVDA and DVDA distributors exited out the side of the distributor housing in a round or square hole.
02 021 – Early round-hole style, short wire – 185 mm.
02 054 – Later round-hole style, longer wire – 420 mm.
02 071 - Early round-hole style, short wire – 210 mm.
02 074 – Square-hole style – stock VW units.
02 086 – Square-hole style – for 009.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

Perfect. I'll do some digging. I searched on all the big vw sites I normally buy parts from, but nothing came up for "distributor fork".
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

On some condensers the clips is part of it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

I found an old one in my glove box. I don't remember putting it there's but there it was! It fits now. It runs much smoother. I'm running advance only.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

Here are the ones with the attached fork. One is for round holes and the other for square.

https://vwnos.com/02-086

https://vwnos.com/02-039

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor condenser issue - square peg, round hole? Reply with quote

And these images from the 1974/75 Bosch Fast Moving Parts books. To which I added VW part numbers and Bosch's later short numbers.

Round hole with integral mounting bracket were not that common as they were only on Autostick and Type 3 distributors. The more common Beetle DVDA and SVDAs had condensers with a separate bracket and the condenser would mount over at one of the vacuum canister screws.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: