Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printed Parts and Accessories
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

I am sure there are a number of people here who design and/or print 3D parts and accessories. I think we should have a dedicated thread for those things.

I like designing and building new things for my bug. I won’t add electronic parts that I have designed to this thread. I will only add 3D stuff here. I will add links to Thingiverse.com where I post them.

I hope others will start adding their VW related 3D designs here as well.

Thanks.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Shift knob with 7mm threads and engraved shift pattern.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5189316
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Ashtray mounted beetle cellphone mount and holder.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5233847

This is a phone holder for any classic Air-Cooled VW Bug Beetle. It clips on to the front of the ashtray.

I used a cheap Dollar Store, spring loaded, vent mount phone holder to hold the phone. The prongs on the back on that holder are held by a small screw. Replace the prongs with my Ball Receiver part. There are pictures in my post that show you what I mean.

This device holds the phone in both portrait and landscape orientations. Buttons are accessible, etc. Works with any case. Can be taken off and installed just by slipping it on and off.

Supports are needed for Face Plate and Ball Rod parts only. You can print everything together.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

VW Beetle Jack Hole Plug with VW logo.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5363655

This is a plug for the square holes where the jack fits in the classic VW Beetles.
Need two per Bug. Print them flat side down, without support at 100% infill.
The face has VW emblem on it. I suggest you paint them to seal them.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

VW Beetle Chicks Dig It sign for wiring cover in the trunk.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5230815

In every car show, middle aged women flock over my Beetle. They seem to love it! LOL.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

This a Volkswagen Beetle Parking Only sign for your garage. Change filament at the appropriate height/layer to make the background a different color from the lettering, car and the border. The hanging hook is also printed with the sign. No support or rafts needed. 10% infill should be fine.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5374243
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Hacked up Beetle Radio Hole Fix Bracket - Back to Stock Size Radio

If a previous owner (or you) had hacked up/cut up the metal dash in your Beetle to put a DIN radio and you now want to put the stock radio back, you will find that the cut up /hacked up hole is too big and the stock radio does not cover the hole. This little bracket fixes that issue. You can paint it the same color as your dash and the stock radio fits perfectly. It has tabs on top and bottom that hold it firmly in place in the hacked up hole. You don't need to weld in any replacement radio hole sheet metal to fix your dash.

Print with flat faceplate side down and with supports. The four tabs that hold the bracket in the hole need supports. They are about 1.5mm above the faceplate to accommodate the dash metal. I printed mine at 100% infill and with PTEG. PLA will not be able to take the heat inside the car.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5378409
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

3D printed steel sunroof early 64 cable guides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3D printed Bendix radio buttons.

3D printed early 64 steel sunroof crank bezel. For this part i re-enforced the back with a small piece of metal. Worked great.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
3D printed steel sunroof early 64 cable guides.

3D printed Bendix radio buttons.

3D printed early 64 steel sunroof crank bezel. For this part i re-enforced the back with a small piece of metal. Worked great.

Nice work! Do consider publishing these on Thingiverse or something similar with links here so that other people may download and print and benefit from these.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

How about license plate brackets in the old vintage style, to be spray chromed?
They go for hundreds of dollars now!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
How about license plate brackets in the old vintage style, to be spray chromed?
They go for hundreds of dollars now!

Put a design pic here that you want to copy. The higher the resolution, the better. Those would be really simple to duplicate.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Vent Mounted Phone Holder for Classic Beetle

This phone holder hooks on to the side dash vent of a classic Beetle. Keeps the phone at eye level. I designed it for my iPhone 12 and case, which is about 12mm.

The hook needs to be glued to the back. The 4 pins are threaded and screw into the threaded holes in the holder body.

I painted mine to match the color of the car. Don't use PLA; use PETG or PVC since it gets hot in the car. No supports are needed. I printed mine at 0.16 and 40% infill.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5390964
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

1967 Beetle Seatbelt Retainer Clip.

This is a one year only part for the 1967 VW Beetle. It holds the front seatbelts in upright position. Print with PETG to withstand heat inside the car. Don't use PLA.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5407660
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Air-cooled VW End Play Measuring Tool

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5426084

This is my version of the air-cooled engine end play measurement tool. This tool measures the end play with feeler gauges instead of a dial indicator. It is based on a popular design that is sold at various VW sites. Below are the directions for using this tool. Use PETG, not PLA as it will come into contact with engine chemicals. No supports or rafts are needed to print.

1. Start with the flywheel attached to the engine and torqued to the correct amount.

2. Clean the engine case around one of the top bolt holes used for connecting the engine to the transaxle so that this tool has a clean and even surface for attachment.

3. Use the 8mm bottom threaded rod to attach the tool to the engine case through the top hole you just cleaned. Back out the smaller 6mm bolt so that it is not hitting or touching the flywheel.

4. With the crank pulley belt removed, push the pulley in toward the engine. This moves the flywheel out away from the case.

5. Tighten gently, with your fingers, the 6mm top bolt until it just touches the flywheel. Also with your fingers, turn down the jam nut so that it is just snug enough to keep the 6 mm bolt from turning accidentally.

6. Without rotating the crankshaft, pull the pulley away from the case which moves the flywheel in toward the case. This creates a gap between the flywheel and the 6mm bolt.

7. Measure the gap between the flywheel and 6mm bolt with a feeler gauge set. Start with the smallest size slipping it through the gap. Work your way up in sizes until you find the correct gap, i.e. feel a slight drag on the feeler gauge. This gap measurement is the end play measurement.

8. Adjust the end play to between .003 to 0.005 inches by using a suitable combination of 3 shim rings. Check your engine specifications for your applicable end play.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

1967 Bug Engine Latch Cover

Did not know that this part existed. No sure what is the purpose of this cover. Saw it being discussed on Samba so I made it.

The original is flexible, sort of like PLU. I made this out of PETG. Should be able to withstand engine compartment temperature.

It is not flexible, so I had to extend the slit for the latch to go through.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5495567
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Pierburg Fuel Pump Rebuild Preload Tool

This is my version of Pierburg Fuel Pump Rebuild Tool for Air Cooled VW. It is used for setting the diaphragm preload when rebuilding a fuel pump.

I made the center pin height adjustable. Nuts for securing the fuel are also included.

I would print it with PETG as it may come in contact with gas. 40% infill should be fine with .16 resolution.

Not sure why anyone would print this. You can do effectively the same thing by driving a screw into your workbench, so it stands at the correct height, and placing the fuel pump on it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5495792
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Airhead, I just wanted to drop in and say some of this stuff you're making is pretty awesome. If you start selling some of them, I'd be interested. I like that cell phone holder.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

Thanks Jos. I post all of these on Thingiverse so that anyone can download my files free and print them. I learn a lot about VWs from people here and this is my way of giving back.

If you can find someone locally with a 3D printer, they can get the files from Thingiverse and print them for you. Check local CraigsList, sometimes I see people advertising there for printing.

Thanks again for for the note.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

1967 Volkswagen Bug Generator Plug

This is an out of production 1967 only part. There is a thread (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9920830) that discussed this part. A samba user Marcdeb offered to provide this part to anyone who wanted to copy it.

Marcdeb sent his out of production part to me, a complete stranger, on his own dime, to copy. WOW! what a wonderful guy!

Here is my version of it on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5579477
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Parts and Accessories Reply with quote

License Plate Frame

Used a plastic Hagerty promotional frame to make a customized 1967 dealership frame with my name on it. Was going for a pewter look on the lettering.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: