Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Our '87 Camper GL (with only 70K on the odometer) took us from St. Louis on mostly country backroads near and along the Mississippi River south and east to a VW Campout gathering last weekend at Giant City State Park outside of Makanda, IL. About 10 or 11 Vans camped for the weekend, and most of 'em were Vanagons. A very nice first get-together for the year in a great State Park.

Our Camper GL performed beautifully, no issues and got us home safe and sound which is about all you can ask from a bone-stock 35 year old Camper. Next VW camping weekend for us is at Lake of the Ozarks State Park, MO on April 29-31, and then another VW campout at Louden State Park, IL on June 3-5th.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Did a multitasking run to drop off recycling at one place, donation of household items at another, donation of pet items at a local animal shelter and stopped by the bike co-op to check on the contents of the dumpster. Came home empty, so a successful trip.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

On Saturday we piled the two cats and our Dog into the Vanagon for a Vet visit. The bill for them was 2/3's of what we paid for the Vanagon in the Fall of 2018.... Shocked Shocked ..... d'oh! d'oh!
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has started living up to it's new name as Planet Express Van. I delivered a couple of bikes to the airport to ship out to remote customers today. The trip is about 10 miles from the shop to the cargo facility with half of that on highway and the van did fantastic! No trouble at all keeping up with surface traffic and maintained about 60mph on the big road. Very Happy

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Early season close-to-home camping therapy weekend. Selected highlights…

Trees across the road? Check... (only two)
Snow (in spots)? Check…
Ice on the lake? Check…
Only guy out there? Check…
Beautiful weather? Check… (luckily)
Wildlife? Check… (otter, swans, wood ducks & the usual small birdies but no large vertebrates)

One month left of school & my last spring in the classroom. (Yes, I’m old…) Wink
After 2 relatively quiet summers I’m chomping at the bit to hit the road again!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled a long, heavy antique mahogany door from Nashville in a twelve-hour dash while getting about 22MPG.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Hauled a long, heavy antique mahogany door from Nashville in a twelve-hour dash while getting about 22MPG.
Nice,.... and I am envious of your Mileage.... Razz Razz
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
campism wrote:
Nice,.... and I am envious of your Mileage.... :P :P

I was astonished, myself. I don't calculate for every tank but generally get 19 on the "good" trips. Don't know what the hell happened this time, averaging a hair over 20 MPG for the full 1,533 mile trip (six fill-ups plus what I left with) and most of it with the A/C running. If it only had more oomph on the hills...

Trip report to come but it's not very interesting.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Brought home a powered Recliner Chair for one of my nieces. She spotted it on Craigslist or other site. She actually bought it for her younger sister, who is an amputee with a prosthetic leg.
The chair lifts you up out of it, so it will be a blessing for that younger niece.
Unfortunately, my wife found several items also for sale while we were there(you know the drill,,,, Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ).
So, we are heading back tomorrow for our load of furniture.
Good thing we own a Vanagon… d'oh! d'oh! Brick wall Brick wall
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

First time out on an extended highway cruise after the 1.8t swap. Loving being able to comfortably cruise at 70mph Very Happy (although 60-65 still feels much nicer overall).

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took a load of scrap wood and yard waste to the dump. The van did pretty good apart from some high-idling by the end of sitting in line for 45 mins and not wanting to start right away after unloading. Afterwards though, it ran great and now I know for certain that the radiator fan works like it’s supposed to!

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Spotted some insulation batts in a remodeler's dumpster and the crew said I could have the stuff, so brought it home to use in my garage.

And I got it installed.

Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: We skied, we got stuck! Reply with quote

Started out fine on way out on FS Road. Churned through patches, locked rear a couple times. Skied, had fun.

On way back I guess I was not aggressive enough on the approach - slight divot and up hill - high centered. After 1.5 hours of digging, jacking up and filling with gravel and rocks, and rocking. No luck. It started to drizzle. Relented. Walked 1/2 mile for reception. Yarded out in 5 minutes.

Have the holes on bumper for mounting a winch. Thought about it. That would have saved the day. I think that clamshell is coming off and skid plate going on.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Spotted some insulation batts in a remodeler's dumpster and the crew said I could have the stuff, so brought it home to use in my garage.

And I got it installed.
WOW, great find and looks perfect in your Garage... Applause
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: We skied, we got stuck! Reply with quote

Klister wrote:

On way back I guess I was not aggressive enough on the approach - slight divot and up hill - high centered. After 1.5 hours of digging, jacking up and filling with gravel and rocks, and rocking. No luck. It started to drizzle. Relented. Walked 1/2 mile for reception. Yarded out in 5 minutes.

Have the holes on bumper for mounting a winch. Thought about it. That would have saved the day. I think that clamshell is coming off and skid plate going on.

Similar Sunday for me, but shuttling DH trails in BC. Got stuck partly sideways in a water bar with mud up to the hubs, but was able to lock the rear and get myself out. Had to take the bikes off to get through a few waterbars as the bikes were hitting the ground on the departure.

Photo on the way back down, we left the bikes at the bottom for the van retrieval.

ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Mine got seduced by a BMW M1

Unbelievable pairing.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: We skied, we got stuck! Reply with quote

[quote="michaelasnider"]
Klister wrote:

Oh, that looks like a mudfest!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My eldest brother retired from teaching High School Science on Friday. Mrs. Black and I took the '87 down to Iowa City for the event. Here's a shot of my dad, and my sister in law with the bus as the backdrop! Only issue on the trip was that the speedo/odo stopped working half way down. Both ends are connected, I didn't have gumption to check further than that for what might have broken. Sure hope it is just in need of another replacement cable.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Mine got seduced by a BMW M1

Unbelievable pairing.

Alistair
Gorgeous,,, The Vanagon of course…. Wink Wink
I ‘guess’ the BMW isn’t that bad either… Smile Smile
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My ‘87 2WD made its first long trip after rehabbing it from a 16 year sleep in a neighbors driveway all last summer, fall and winter! 250 miles from Northern Illinois to Indianapolis, Camping, Music and a flawless 250 mile night time drive back home! Only one issue with the stereo cutting out mid-drive - when I checked one night at the campground it appears that I haven’t lost a single drop of coolant in almost 700 miles!

The bumpy highway did make me buy a new T3 Powerflex bushing kit though - that seems like a major project to wade into soon!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 79 of 89

Jump to: