Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
musician235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting my basket case 1982 1.6 NA Diesel Vanagon motor back together, purely for tinkering enjoyent. Previous owner took apart and lost some parts and I have no good pictures of which pieces are missing.

The attached photo is the back of my cylinder head (firewall side). The top right appears to be a spot for the oil presser sender. What piece am I missing on the bottom left? I thought it would be the thermostat housing but most of the coolant hoses were left in place, and no hose runs to that location.

Two coolant hoses from the water pump run to the top center of the head (that coolant neck is also missing, but I ordered one and assume the thermostat will go in that one) so what am I missing on the firewall side that requires two bolts? Is that another coolant neck? Thanks for any advice you can offer, the Bentley isn't clearing up my question, but I'm going to keep looking

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head Reply with quote

That hole gets a flange for the heater hose and a temp sensor goes in the flange too.

Mark
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head Reply with quote

It is missing a coolant flange. That coolant flange typically has one or two temperature sensors in it (one for glow plugs, and one for gauge). The hose that connects to it is laying over the driver's side cv shaft.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head Reply with quote

It's also missing the oil pressure switch. Get a blue one from a 1.9 WBX.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
musician235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head Reply with quote

I just noticed that hose hanging over the back there and do see how the missing flange fits in there and also saw a few responses from folks here confirming.. thank you much... Does the following part 068-121-145K look like the correct one?

Thanks for the replies on which sensors are missing also I'm still grasping at straws and would appreciate any advice. The straight coolant neck on the back has two threaded holes for sensors (and comes with one plug). Which sensor(s) do you recommend go there?

For the missing coolant neck on the top right of the head I ordered the coolant flange accepting two hoses: 068 121 133E 068 121 133M Does the thermostat go in there and does the picture look like the correct part? Which sensor (s) should go there?

Thanks again.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's missing from the firewall side of my 1.6 NA Diesel Head Reply with quote

On a NA diesel both flanges have a simple coolant temp sender. The gearbox side one is for the glow plug relay, the other is for the gauge.
On the turbodiesels the gearbox side flange have both of temp senders as the other flange have a thermoswitch for the electric coolant pump.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: