Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few observations on Thing safety
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Awesome, good to know. Thanks!
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Ark wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Three point seat belts would help. Roll bars are a mixed blessing. Bonk your head on one in a collision and your brain may well be toast. The unibody design helps with safety, adding some energy absorbing system to the front might help with a frontal collision.

Roll bar padding is actually something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. To your point, whacking your head on a roll bar seems like it's nearly as bad as getting hit by a bumper or that ground or whatever.

Has anyone looked into SFI roll bar padding? Is that stuff designed for helmets-only or does it still help even without a helmet?

Interesting. I never thought of the padding as being useful in an accident, but it certainly is. I just figured it was for dummies like me that keep bonking their head every time they get in and out. Thanks for the insight. Definitely something I will consider adding.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I've always figured that the Thing is probably the only car where you're actually better off being thrown out/away from the vehicle in an accident. Therefore the only real safety help the seatbelt offers is keeping you from sliding out of the seat in some maneuver to avoid an accident. (So that tips the scale toward wearing the seatbelt.)

Drive it like you're on a motorcycle is probably the best bet.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Suttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I worked in law enforcement for 36 years and I echo the comments below.
Medical emergency or mechanical failure notwithstanding there is no reason for anyone to ever die in an automobile.
Observe traffic laws: they were enacted for a reason and with reason
even if you don't personally like them (speed limits, yield and stop signs, seat belts, etc.)
If everyone just did what they are suppose to do, we'd all be much safer.
And ponder the progress since the 1960s in laws and equipment,
Open container, stiffer penalties for drunk driving, padded dash, large lights.
even orange turn signals. All significant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I had a 1930 Model A with a 383 in it and no seatbelts. Not to mention my Harley. I don't worry about my Thing.

The way I see it is when your numbers up it's up. I worry more about my ex wife killing me.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'

1963 thrashed Baja Bug

1970 Baja Bug

1974 Bug RIP killed by an Oldsmobile. Almost killed me too.
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Steve Suttle wrote:
I worked in law enforcement for 36 years and I echo the comments below.
Medical emergency or mechanical failure notwithstanding there is no reason for anyone to ever die in an automobile.
Observe traffic laws: they were enacted for a reason and with reason
even if you don't personally like them (speed limits, yield and stop signs, seat belts, etc.)
If everyone just did what they are suppose to do, we'd all be much safer.
And ponder the progress since the 1960s in laws and equipment,
Open container, stiffer penalties for drunk driving, padded dash, large lights.
even orange turn signals. All significant.

You know, the great thing about the Thing is it's fun at any speed. I can buzz along at 30 and feel like I'm flying! No need to exceed speed limits Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: