Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to locate cold start valve to buy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

WTB bosch 0 280 170 026

There's one on eBay but the seller is super flaky.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

Got mine here in the classifieds a coupla years ago. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:
WTB bosch 0 280 170 026

There's one on eBay but the seller is super flaky.

https://fuelinjectionproducts.com/products/porsche...et-vanagon

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2322250 As for old Samba ads, over the years, I have a few times had luck with contacting sellers to ask if they others of what they had sold.

This is the same cold start valve that was used on 1974-1975 Porsche 914s. I've learned that casting a wider net to include Porsche sites for common parts used on VWs can be beneficial. An old ad: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/5740358-post1.html

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/Porsche-Vanagon-Col...63275.html

Good luck.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

Link to a thread I posted about this problem, and how to use a modern replacement part.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I

Last edited by Cap10323 on Sat May 21, 2022 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Link to a thread I posted about this problem, and how to use a modern replacement part.

This is a great idea, Cap10323. I've often wondered if parts like this could be viable options for our older Buses. Thank you.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

This is a great idea, Cap10323. I've often wondered if parts like this could be viable options for our older Buses. Thank you.

The Volvo implementation of the Bosch K-Jetronic seems to be extremely similar to the VW one, the VW one is just a little bit less sophisticated in terms of electronics. So in theory most of the Volvo FI parts fit a Bus, injectors, CSV, IACV, etc..

I have yet to seriously look into this, but I have a suspicion you could essentially use the entire Bosch FI system from a Volvo 240 on a Bus, with some slight modifications. The displacement of the engine, number of cylinders, etc is correct. But the Volvo has a MAF and O2 sensor, which would be a big upgrade.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
creative native wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

The Volvo implementation of the Bosch K-Jetronic seems to be extremely similar to the VW one, the VW one is just a little bit less sophisticated in terms of electronics. So in theory most of the Volvo FI parts fit a Bus, injectors, CSV, IACV, etc..

I have yet to seriously look into this, but I have a suspicion you could essentially use the entire Bosch FI system from a Volvo 240 on a Bus, with some slight modifications. The displacement of the engine, number of cylinders, etc is correct. But the Volvo has a MAF and O2 sensor, which would be a big upgrade.

What luck! My 1979 California emissions spec Bus already has a AFM and O2 sensor.
I do hope this continues to be an ongoing discussion. Often thinking of the future and being prepared for the inevitable, I wonder what the options may look like for when our stock FI systems simply age out and necessary parts, like the cold start valve, are NLA. I have considered putting a pair of stock dual Solexes and related parts on the shelf if the worst should happen and some NLA FI part prevents my Bus from running, but I really don't like to think of that and hope viable FI options become available.

I used to own an '86 Vanagon Westfalia and know that GoWesty has created a proper FI component replacement kit. I do hope something like this is made available for us FI Bus folks. https://gowesty.com/products/gowesty-fuel-injection-component-replacement-kit

Last edited by creative native on Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

MAF or AFM (Air Flow Meter)? A MAF usually has hot wires while the AFM has a vane.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

I probably have one but finding it, testing it, boxing and shipping would need to be worth my time.

Edit: I did find it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
MAF or AFM (Air Flow Meter)? A MAF usually has hot wires while the AFM has a vane.

You're right! Thanks for the reminder.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The Volvo has a MAF, the Bus has an AFM.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

the reason I ask is that there a few buses out there where some engineering types converted their AFM to MAF but no one really ever posted a how it was done thread. The question comes up here once every few years.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the reason I ask is that there a few buses out there where some engineering types converted their AFM to MAF but no one really ever posted a how it was done thread. The question comes up here once every few years.

I'm one of those engineering types you speak of, but I'm far from an expert on L-Jetronic. I don't think this is possible with the stock ECU due to how it measures the singal from the AFM across multiple wires.

But as I said, I suspect you could practically plug-and-play the Volvo ECU if you could figure out a way to spoof the coolant temp reading, maybe just use the factory TS-II sensor, I'm not sure. Someone would have to do some resistance sniffing.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I

Last edited by Cap10323 on Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

Has the OP found the part he needs yet? If not, I have one.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

the AFM gives a voltage, not a resistance.

I have a NOS CSV but at this time it is not for sale. I am waiting until they get to $3500 each which will happen if we keep printing free money for all.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the AFM gives a voltage, not a resistance.

I have a NOS CSV but at this time it is not for sale. I am waiting until they get to $3500 each which will happen if we keep printing free money for all.

Thanks. Edited for clarity.

I doubt that will ever happen. I wouldn't give you $20 for a NOS "pass-through" CSV when you can buy a brand new, guaranteed not to leak Volvo CSV for $150.

The O in NOS still stands for Old.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

been here long enough to see parts disappear. One day a volvo part works and the next day you can't find those either. Hang around and see what happens. Bay parts that 15 - 18 years ago you could not give away free with free shipping now people will run up their charge cards for. I don't set the prices. The market does.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
been here long enough to see parts disappear. One day a volvo part works and the next day you can't find those either. Hang around and see what happens. Bay parts that 15 - 18 years ago you could not give away free with free shipping now people will run up their charge cards for. I don't set the prices. The market does.

Really...there are a whole slew of 1980's to early 2000's cold start injectors that "could" be slaved onto our systems if its really about function and you are not too hung up on exact visual.

Here are a couple of listings
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-cj18?seid=s...F4QAvD_BwE

I bet I could make most of these work...and I bet those with t extended reach end may even be an improvement putting the fuel into teh center of the plenum where all four runners meet up

and

https://zcardepot.com/products/cold-start-injector...MYQAvD_BwE

Bet I could make this one work. Another Nissan/Datsun part

Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Really...there are a whole slew of 1980's to early 2000's cold start injectors that "could" be slaved onto our systems if its really about function and you are not too hung up on exact visual.

I bet I could make most of these work...and I bet those with t extended reach end may even be an improvement putting the fuel into teh center of the plenum where all four runners meet up

and

Ray

or you can replace the whole engine with a conversion. Did you find my EGR diaphragm that you lost yet? I have an EGR valve sitting here and that is all it needs to be functional. For what, 10 years you have been making the same kinds of claims about how simple it would be.... yada yada. Bob Hood bought your BS and I lost the use of a perfectly good NLA EGR valve. Tired of your lectures telling the world you can do things you haven't. Send me my like new diaphragm back and we can stop talking about it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to locate cold start valve to buy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:

and

Ray

or you can replace the whole engine with a conversion. Did you find my EGR diaphragm that you lost yet? I have an EGR valve sitting here and that is all it needs to be functional. For what, 10 years you have been making the same kinds of claims about how simple it would be.... yada yada. Bob Hood bought your BS and I lost the use of a perfectly good NLA EGR valve. Tired of your lectures telling the world you can do things you haven't. Send me my like new diaphragm back and we can stop talking about it.

What the f*ck....does trying to find a functional cold start valve....of which there are many available....have to do with your piss poor attitude of...."well shit man....if we are switching to a cold start valve from another car....we might as well just install a conversion engine?".....how stoopid is that?

Why is that not the same as....dang...."they no longer make the stock # spark plug....or....the stock Bosch injectors.....crap....let's just install a Subaru engine".....yeah right....when there are about 30 other plugs that are equivalent function.....and suitable aftermarket injectors. Rolling Eyes

I never lost your EGR diaphragm. Your memory is failing. For about the 35th time....while the diaphragm you sent me was complete and shaped well...it was hard as a rock and cracked to shit. It did not survive multiple tries at molding it with the technology I had available at the time.

Yes....and now that I HAVE produced a functional mold....since November I have owed a pair of them back to the gent that loaned me an EGR valve.

If you must know ....I am behind on returning that part for two reasons.

1. The prime reason is time. I am taking care of my 83 year mother and WAS taking care of my 89 year old dad until he lost his fight with MDS and age 4 weeks ago.

2. My supply of high temp silicone exceeded its shelf life and locked up in the middle of a test casting in February for 3 parts at one time...
A. The EGR diaphragms
B. Boots for bus ball joints
C. Boots for 412 ball joints.

I am just getting time back for projects while working out my parents estate issues....and..
.I just will not have $300 to drop on silicone for a couple of weeks anyway.

A word of advice. I don't really give a rats ass about busses(except for the engines).
I could just as easily not have posted any potential leads to cold start valves....all of those I posted will work.....and just let you poor f*ckers gnash your teeth and wail about not being able to start in December....but I figured if I know something that will help....why not offer it?

Same for the EGR valve. Working that project was also going to help me and my cars. So I to9k it on. Your part got screwed up....and I dumped about $3k in it and got nothing tangible (but a lot of knowledge). You hear me screaming....where's my money bitch? See how stupid that attitude sounds?

So not far off I will have the EGR diaphragms remolded. I will get two and the valve out the door to its owner. I may or may not make one for you to replace the one that got ACCIDENTALLY trashed. That depends on whether you are on your meds and not being a dick.

Whether I continue to mold any....not sure. To many ungrateful assholes out there and it takes a lot of time.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: