Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet kit for 412?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

So I'm minutes away from building my own carpet kit for my 412, favoring the medium blue/white 80/20 loop that looks very period correct, and would look great with my L96M marathon exterior. When searching for carpeting by the yard, 2 sites pop up, both claiming to make cut and sewn interiors for the 412. One is stockinteriors, and the other is autopartswarehouse. I'm extremely leery about ordering from either one, because I haven't found a single manufacturer that makes new parts specifically for our cars. Has anybody tried a carpet set from either of these blokes? Am I better off fitting my own DIY? I don't mind the time and effort of making my own, but would rather get a complete set and get my new seats in sooner than later.
Thanks in advance for any good insights,
Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....neither of these companies have EVER made carpet kits for the 411/412.....ever.

Look carefully on those siTes. They are search engine driven. Whatever car you punch in you get the same paragraph and spiel for each car from a 2012 golf to a 1948 Ford.

This is not saying that what products they actually make are poor quality....just that its about 98% for sure that they make nothing for our cars.

Years ago and still somewhat now....J.C. Whitney used to do the same thing. Since most people ordering were just trying to keep a beater alive.....they would send you thd "closest" generic fit they have.
in the case of JC witney and others.....headliner kits for type 4 actually turned out to be cheap rather poor kits for type 3......which are similar in many reapects but the type 3 is a narrower car.

Also autoparts warehouse, and numerous other search engine mining houses....I can plug VW 412 power steering pump or radiator into Google....and companies like this note that ghey have them in stock and they are the best!
Of course....if you call or try to order...98% or the time they will e-mail....no longer available.

You can get factory carpet materials at Sewfine....or send what you have left to them and they will make a pattern (last time I asked about that they noted yhat its unique enough that they would like to sed the car in person). TMI also has good materials.

When I get to that stage I will be making my own carpet and then taking it to a local shop to have the edges bound. I will at some point be making a heel pad mold and a floor mat mold But thats a while down the line for me. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vonkr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a set (years ago) by a company automatten.nl. I worked in the neighbourhood, and picked them up after ordering. Quality (and price) were reasonable.
If they got the right sizes, then it's just one push on the bottom and a machine can produce them. (fitting was not perfect, but acceptable).
I think that the companys you named, work at the same principle. Not perfect, not original, but that's the price for riding such an exclusive car... Wink

Ray's solution is also a good one.

Maybe it is also possible to reproduce them when you deliver the original ones. Maybe you can ask if that's possible.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried M & T Mfg in Rhode Island? The carpets and seat covers seem reasonable.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Has anyone tried M & T Mfg in Rhode Island? The carpets and seat covers seem reasonable.

All of the carpet kit companies are reasonable. The problem is that none of them at least on this continent. ...have patterns. The materials from Sew Fine are aome of the best in the biz......but you will have to make patterns and do your own fitting.
the fitting is what will kill you.....because if the carpet is, already bound by whoever cuts it for you....chances are slim that it will actually fit when you install it.

The 411/412 has a complex carpet kit. Probably the best way to go is to make your own pattern......order the carpet.....cut, fit and trim....then take it to your local upholstery shop and have them do the edge bindings. Ray
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

Found this company in Europe:
https://www.tapis-deluxe.com/en/4534-complete-inte...y-lhd.html
It looks like they even include the trunk carpet all for €307, or about $360
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:

Wow!.....thats a resource! Thank you for posting!

It would be nice to speak to someone who has fitted one of these kits. Not that I am,saying they might not be quality......but type 4 carpets....are complex. I daresay it will not be a simple drop in. Lots of fitting up work and potential issues.

Ray
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

that's an interesting kit. I will make note of it when it comes to redo the interior.
I am also tempted to make my own carpets. I made cardboard templates of the old one just in case I decide to go that route in the future,
cheers,
Abel
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

Abelclasico wrote:
that's an interesting kit. I will make note of it when it comes to redo the interior.
I am also tempted to make my own carpets. I made cardboard templates of the old one just in case I decide to go that route in the future,
cheers,
Abel

I have templates of mine as well.....but.....and this is why I would like to see more about the quality and fit of that kit......if you examine the carpets in the 411/412....except for a few openings that go under covers like the shifter opening.....there is a lot of edge binding, a handful of molded edge pieces etc. Its a relatively complex carpet set.

Making it and fitting it up may be a lot more work than its worth.

Also I do not expect exact factory from any store bought kit for something this limited run....for a pretty moderate price. But if its well shaped and cut......and due to teh fact that for years I have been planning and taking notes about all the little details I would have to work out if when I am going to make carpets...and looking at all the projects I already have.....to me it may be worth it to just get something that is good enough and spend the time elsewhere.

I will try to make some contact and see what I can find out...maybe better pictures wise if they have a set at hand.

on the other hand....I know how parts go for 411 and 412. What you see available at any given time could easily go away at any time as there is just little demand.

My first thought was that if this is a quality kit....and they still make it....I may cough up the money and call it Christmas for myself....so I will have it when I need it. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

What is that price converted dollars? For the sedan. Bob
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

The price was listed at the equivalent of about $360 USD. Haven't looked into the details if they'll ship to USA, etc.. or how much.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ubercrap wrote:

It would be nice to speak to someone who has fitted one of these kits. Not that I am,saying they might not be quality......but type 4 carpets....are complex. I daresay it will not be a simple drop in. Lots of fitting up work and potential issues.

Ray

I looked back at this site, and it doesn't look like they're offering the Type 4 carpet anymore, though they are offering mats, still, that look good. I emailed them and asked if they would offer it again and am awaiting a response, though, they are in France and customer service isn't always a priority there like we expect in the USA. I'll let you know if they respond.

Just my luck that I can finally try to finish my cars and a lot of places are out of business and/or not producing Type 4 stuff anymore, etc...Anyway, I don't have the original carpet for the coupe, it was gone when I got it, but I do have my wagon in my garage for reference, but the carpet doesn't look original to me (acceptable, but not great). The other coupes are in storage and have their original interiors, but I can't get to them casually, plus the cars I have need to least move on their own to shuffle around/move to other storage before I retrieve the other ones.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
ubercrap wrote:

Ray

I looked back at this site, and it doesn't look like they're offering the Type 4 carpet anymore, though they are offering mats, still, that look good. I emailed them and asked if they would offer it again and am awaiting a response, though, they are in France and customer service isn't always a priority there like we expect in the USA. I'll let you know if they respond.

Just my luck that I can finally try to finish my cars and a lot of places are out of business and/or not producing Type 4 stuff anymore, etc...Anyway, I don't have the original carpet for the coupe, it was gone when I got it, but I do have my wagon in my garage for reference, but the carpet doesn't look original to me (acceptable, but not great). The other coupes are in storage and have their original interiors, but I can't get to them casually, plus the cars I have need to least move on their own to shuffle around/move to other storage before I retrieve the other ones.

But at least we do have links to proven headliners.

The main site for Acme

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/

Under "headliners tab" and then "vintage cars with suspended bows" tab

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/vicarbowsuhe.html

Click on "VW 1955-1992"
http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/vicarbowsuhe.html

They have a heading for 411 and 412 sperate cars. They sell seperate headliners for two door, four door and wagon.

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/412.html

And...these guys say they have cut and sewn carpet kits for 411 and 412 and headliners I think they sell Acme)

https://www.stockinteriors.com/Model.asp?MakeId=29

Ray
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

Great, thanks! I have run across the stockinteriors site, I may contact them as well. For whatever reason, the headliner is still in this car and in fair condition, I'll probably leave it- a few blemishes but I can live with it for now. The rear passenger compartment panels are there as well, in black, though strangely, the PO included two reupholstered front seats, where the contact surfaces have been replaced with a nice fabric and the sides are tan/light brown vinyl that matches the original seat backs fairly well. Since I have a spare set of black door cards that might be able to be revived, I'll have black door panels and I am trying to get that tan sedan rear seat from the classifieds here as the seller will be in my area for a show in a few months. Sooo, I'll have a mismatched black door cards/panels and brown/tan seats scheme. Perhaps a darker brown carpet could bridge bridge between the two, as I believe the original carpet that goes with the seats is fairly light, closer to matching the them from memory.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
Great, thanks! I have run across the stockinteriors site, I may contact them as well. For whatever reason, the headliner is still in this car and in fair condition, I'll probably leave it- a few blemishes but I can live with it for now. The rear passenger compartment panels are there as well, in black, though strangely, the PO included two reupholstered front seats, where the contact surfaces have been replaced with a nice fabric and the sides are tan/light brown vinyl that matches the original seat backs fairly well. Since I have a spare set of black door cards that might be able to be revived, I'll have black door panels and I am trying to get that tan sedan rear seat from the classifieds here as the seller will be in my area for a show in a few months. Sooo, I'll have a mismatched black door cards/panels and brown/tan seats scheme. Perhaps a darker brown carpet could bridge bridge between the two, as I believe the original carpet that goes with the seats is fairly light, closer to matching the them from memory.

You know....the original parts book I have has all of the production color combinations listings. Tell me the year and listed color of your car and I will post that section for you. Ray
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

Hello,

You can always try “Himmel Service”. They are based in Hamburg Germany and have a very good reputation for carpet sets, headlining and upholstery for Volkswagen vehicles.

You will find them at:

https://himmelservice.de/en/product-categorie/headliner/volkswagen-en/

You can email them at:

[email protected]

Best regards,

Rob
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

If you still have your old carpeting you can duplicate. Thats what I did. I found a local car carpeting guy thats been in business for 50 years. I ordered german square weave carpeting from RELICATE in NY. They had the color I wanted and for a reasonable price. Take a look at my 412 wagon thread.

Bill
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
If you still have your old carpeting you can duplicate. Thats what I did. I found a local car carpeting guy thats been in business for 50 years. I ordered german square weave carpeting from RELICATE in NY. They had the color I wanted and for a reasonable price. Take a look at my 412 wagon thread.

Bill

Unfortunately I don't, not sure why it was all gone- PO never explained why or what state the car was in when he got it. I'm thinking it might have been just a mostly stripped shell. I don't think it's been on the road since the '80s. I do have two other 412 coupes with original interiors, but they're 900+ miles away in storage at the moment. These are real hard luck cases I just can't bring myself to part with, though I don't practically have room for them at my house here. Sad I parted out two others, another was stolen, and another one I bought and never picked up. I think I had a pile of carpets, etc from the ones I parted for the longest time, but they started out as biohazards and were getting worse by the day and I finally got rid of them sometime years ago.

Last edited by ubercrap on Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:

Bill

Unfortunately I don't, not sure why it was all gone- PO never explained why or what state the car was in when he got it. I'm thinking it might have been just a mostly stripped shell. I don't think it's been on the road since the '80s. I do have two other 412 coupes with original interiors, but they're 900+ miles away in storage at the moment. These are real hard luck cases I just can't bring myself to part with, though I don't practically have room for them at my house here. Sad I parted out two others, another was stolen, and another one I bought and never picked up. I think I had a pile of carpets, etc from the ones I parted for the longest time, but they started out as biohazards and we're getting worse by the day and I finally got rid of them sometime years ago.

He probably removed the carpets out of pure preservation. I can tell you that us why my car has no carpets except for that which runs along the doors on the heater channels and covers the corner kick panels up front where the fuse panel is.

When I was driving my 412 for a daily driver....many miles.....and it had a lot of miles and years on it when I got it.....it had lots of little water leaks.

100% of these cars will and do leak water ....unless YOU have actively done something about it.

All but one that I have owned leaked water at the bottom corners of the front windshield. All of them leaked in heavy rains at the speedo cable boot (until you figure that out and fix it). All of them leak at the blower motor unless you keep it cleaned out. About half of them leaked from the door seals as they shrink with age.
A few of them leaked from the door edge as the drains filled up and doors flooded.

About half of them leaked from the top of the rear window seal where it is spliced. All of them leak from the door and body trim clip holes....into the doors and into the rear fender cavities on wagons and two doors.

Yes....a lot of this is maintenance related. A lot of stuff to get to if you drive a lot or even if the car is just stored outside.

The gist is that between all of those leak issues and a few classic rust throughs like near the battery or near the drain in the rear floorboards.....once your carpet gets wet and musty.....8f you do not tear it out and fix all of those leaks NOW.....your car will rust into oblivion because there will be puddles of water under the carpet that cannot drain.

When I got my 2 door in about 1994.....it had not driven since 1982. It was sitting under a leaky shed in Stone Mountain Georgia. It was spring when I found it and it had a half inch of water in the rear floorboards.

The carpet came out a few weeks later and not having any resources for carpet kits and time to fabricate.....I simply drove it that way for the next 7 years. Ray
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit for 412? Reply with quote

Ok, been combing old STF threads from PO, looks like it was thrown away unthinkingly, probably not realizing carpet wasn't so easily available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: