Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I too am in sight of the finish line. Tomorrow I will get my rebuilt semaphores and somehow I need to get a heart tail light bulb holder and then... Stay tuned for more.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I too am in sight of the finish line. Tomorrow I will get my rebuilt semaphores and somehow I need to get a heart tail light bulb holder and then... Stay tuned for more.

Don

I am not that far along. I am just thinking into the next few years. I am watching the price of parts starting to rise steeply, and starting to wonder how badly I am going to have to squirrel money away to finish this Bug. It is getting kind of crazy!

Man, I sound like an old man! Damn it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Back at the door today for a few hours.

Started off placing a weld at the corner brace, WITH the door correctly aligned. Made a huge difference in the door’s interaction with the body.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I picked up the repair skin and marked the cut point at the rear of the door.

Then marked the front. Had to make sure the skin wrapped around the hinge correctly.

Drew a straight line across the repair panel and cut it.

Then took that panel and placed it on the door with magnets.

See how nice it is? Now I got to stitch it together.

Looks like I need to add just over an 1/8” to the lower edge on the rear quarter panel. And I will need to readjust the door gap to 6mm along the entire rear seam.

I then trimmed a tiny amount off of the seam at the front and punched plug weld holes in the edges. Then set it back into the door and clamped it.

Look at how nice it looks right now!

Let the welding begin!

Started at the sides. Setting a tack to keep the panel in place.

The front edge.

With the panel set into its place and fitting really well, I started to tack weld the seam, every 3 inches.

I then went back and added one more tack in between each 3 inch space. Then ground them all down.

And that was it. Next time, hopefully, I can get the welding completed on this portion of the door.

Until next time.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Quote:

I am not that far along. I am just thinking into the next few years. I am watching the price of parts starting to rise steeply, and starting to wonder how badly I am going to have to squirrel money away to finish this Bug. It is getting kind of crazy!

Oh man I hear you. I have spent many times what I originally thought on my car. I'm just glad the spending is almost over. I bought the car to give me something to do during the Winnipeg winters and then covid hit and I was thrilled I had the car to work on. I had no time line, no date for completion, just the fun of working on an old beetle with many surprise frustrations along the way.

BTW I admire your guts tackling the door bottoms. I thought about it but chickened out and just sprayed the rust with Boeshield to stabilize it.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Quote:

Oh man I hear you. I have spent many times what I originally thought on my car. I'm just glad the spending is almost over. I bought the car to give me something to do during the Winnipeg winters and then covid hit and I was thrilled I had the car to work on. I had no time line, no date for completion, just the fun of working on an old beetle with many surprise frustrations along the way.

BTW I admire your guts tackling the door bottoms. I thought about it but chickened out and just sprayed the rust with Boeshield to stabilize it.

Don

I am in the same boat. Picked up a 70 several years back after dropping out of the VW scene for 30 years! It was like meeting an old friend and going back through all those times spent together. That one was sold and I got another 70. Then the in-laws picked up a 77 from one of their renters and gave it to me. It was at this point I decided that if I was going to work on these cars, I may as well put my time into something worth some money after I was done! So, picked up the 54. I figured I would need to spend about 20 grand to finish it off. But now, after reviewing the current pricing of the upcoming tasks, I will be lucky to keep the spending under 30 grand, after all that I have already purchased. Damn! I should have been buying more parts, more quickly!

Inflation sucks!

Thanks for the kind words! I forgot to mention that. Sorry. And yes, both door bottoms scared the shit out of me. Talk about an overwhelming task. Took me 2 years to get the guts up to do it. Finally figured out the secret on that list panel! Thanks for noticing!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

4 more hours today! Dove straight into the door skin.

Welded the seam the entire way and ground it down.

Installed the door back onto the car, to check everything. Hammered the lower section into a respectable position.

Looks fairly well. Needs a little more work.

Hammered on it a bit more and welded it up.

Gaps are okay, need to tweak the opening a tiny amount more. Shaped the front hem, to get it to lay down in a straight line.

Laid a straight edge along the front door hem.

I need a piece of sheet metal for the front door hem. It has a small spot of steel missing. So, I need a small piece of steel. Look what I have here!

Cleaned a spot of steel.

Cut out a tiny piece.

Then I placed it onto the door.

Yep, it fits. Now to put a bend on the very edge.

Put it on the door and tacked it onto the door.

Then welded it into place, ground it down and move on without taking pictures. You can barely see the weld seam.

Then put the door back onto the car.

And went after the top door skin fold from before I knew the car. Guess someone found away to bend the door beyond its limit stop. Here it is.

So, needed to shed some light on the subject and then shoved my prybar up into the dark space.

I bent, twisted, hammered and pushed the pry bar, in an effort to move the steel back into shape.

And check out what I did!

I then flipped the door over and welded in the bottom hem. Ground it down all pretty like!

I then clamped the door into place.

It looks pretty damn good!

The bottom is close. It will require some cutting and pasting!

And that was it. Oh wait. The door is hanging on the car again. It is rock solid. It opens and shuts easily! The gap has gotten better. Check it out!

It felt good to work on the Bug again. Post up again, soon I hope!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat May 21, 2022 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice work. This process has gotten me ready to start on my rear passenger side quarter panel skin...following along here I see it can be done with satisfactory results. Patience seems to be of the essence. Thanks Jimbo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Thank you!

Patience is the key word! Walk away from the piece, would be my best advise. Because if you are still near it, it calls to you to, “Hey impatient guy, I think you can do another series of tacks right now.” And you will ALWAYS cave in! It’s like a drug. I just need a quick fix!

So, patience and lots of cooling down with air. Although Clatter swears by a wet rag. I tried it on some practice pieces and had a horrible reaction. The center of the sheets I welded buckled badly. Maybe it was me, maybe it was me being impatient, maybe it was me thinking it was fool proof. We will never know. But I am aware of the common denominator it that last set of sentences was, ME! I will own it! And I will use air and time! And a hammer!! Not perfect, but it is predictable. And that is a great thing to know.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Wow! Another 4 hours! I take whatever life let’s me have.

Back at the gap along the B pillar on the left side of the Bug. I need to get that gap at 5-6mm the entire length of the joint! It never has been this difficult! I swear, that slump the car took had a farther reaching effect than I had originally estimated. Damn it!

Anyways, here goes todays events.

Bug at rest.

Here are the gaps, going around the door. Starting at the lower A pillar and going up and back down the B pillar

Using my Allen wrenches as measuring tools, I get a loose 6mm at the top that tapers down to a 4.5mm at the bottom. That changed from a 3mm distance after I hammer and dollied on it for an hour. But the panel stopped moving, so let’s bring in the cutter and welder!

First, I wanted to see how off that lower quarter panel is. How can I check it’s curve. ……. Ah ha! I have that remnant B pillar from the 59 rear clip I purchased. Took me a solid 30 minutes to find it, but find it I did! I then took some magnets and stuck it on the car.

Not too bad! So, I hammered on it some more. Got another half a millimeter out of the panel! Gap is looking way better, but the quarter panel is starting to look too high at the lowest edge.

See that lowest edge? It is too high. Here let me stick a straight edge under it.

I went ahead and started hitting the edge, with a little more authority in my swing. And I got it!

But that bottom edge is killing me! So, let’s get that straightened out! Made a cut across the front bottom edge and up and over the front of the pillar, than down under the panel. Whew that was a mouth full! I know. Pictures!

I then used my little cutting tool to get the pillar cut without cutting the channel.

I then spread the cut open to align it to the bottom of the door.

I then welded up the cut and ground it down.

Just tacked in the front side. Still need to weld the under side cut, too!

I then took a step back to see if I actually made any progress. I could not tell, for sure. So, I highlighted the seams with primer.

Looks good to me!

Oh, if anyone is interested in these. Up for grabs. You pay the shipper and shipping!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I'm still following along.
Great work getting the gaps fixed on the drivers door.
Keep at it. Every little bit you can do, is one less thing you'll have to do later!

I got my pile back on the road with a temp trip permit and insurance. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I'm still following along.
Great work getting the gaps fixed on the drivers door.
Keep at it. Every little bit you can do, is one less thing you'll have to do later!

I got my pile back on the road with a temp trip permit and insurance. Very Happy

I know! I have been following along. So happy that you got it back! Welcome to the 2 Bug club!

Been too damn busy this week. Driving to an old friends house for a full house remodel. They are 60 miles away. Take almost 1 1/2 hours to get there. Damn traffic! Was supposed to be a quick 8 day job. But when we’re removing the drywall, termite crap was pouring out. Got the sheeting off the wall and most of the framing was hollow summer wood boards! It always amazes me how they can still be standing, while holding up ceiling joists and the roof load!

People get your homes inspected for termites and wood destroying fungi and mold!!!!! This above was the result of a 10 year old shower install that was improperly flashed. Water got out and crawled up into the tiny spaces in the wood framing (capillary action). The insects followed the moist trail and then ate the soft wood for 10 years!

Love the encouragement! It helps. Especially right now. I can see the end of the metal work, but I am still finding new spots (I will highlight a few in a few weeks), so the excitement to send it to the blaster keeps getting pushed. Thanks for the pep!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Not sure how supported the body is now but back in the 90s a friend in the club had the same issues. It was a euro sunroof 56 that wasnt supported before heater channels and twisted similar to yours. Once they got it all sorted they put it on the pan and bolted it up and NOTHING lined up again. The more they tightened the pan bolts you could actually see the doors bending outwards. After giving up and deciding to sell he tried to put the windshield in but every time after sitting for a day the glass would crack. I would hate to see all your work dashed at the last minute.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Not sure how supported the body is now but back in the 90s a friend in the club had the same issues. It was a euro sunroof 56 that wasnt supported before heater channels and twisted similar to yours. Once they got it all sorted they put it on the pan and bolted it up and NOTHING lined up again. The more they tightened the pan bolts you could actually see the doors bending outwards. After giving up and deciding to sell he tried to put the windshield in but every time after sitting for a day the glass would crack. I would hate to see all your work dashed at the last minute.

Your awesome! Thank you for the knowledge. Never would have even thought that would be an issue. I will get the shitty windshield that I received in asap. Let’s see if anything happens!

I have the body fully bolted down to the pan currently. Every bolt is in and torqued to spec. I even installed the front beam, so those 2 body mount bolts could pull the body forwards.

Once I can get by this hurdle, I can get it back up on the rotisserie and finish off the rear apron seal channel.

Thanks for chiming in!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Just popping in to say i'm following along and digging your effort.

Using a wet rag to cool welds does indeed cause movement.
Usually it's some shrinkage.
Depending upon what you are trying to do at the time that can be good or bad.
Cooling welds with air is indeed a better way to control movement.
If you're patient enough! Very Happy

Something to think about with doors is that they will get really heavy once loaded up with glass and regulators and handles and all.
Paint and primer (and especially Bondo! Razz ) can weigh a lot as well.
Be sure to put some weight on when contemplating gaps.
Simply adjusting using the door striker can be no bueno for keeping a saggy door aligned.
It makes for a rather dissatisfying open/shut experience.
Every time.. Mad

With pinholes, it seems to me that once some tiny tit of contaminant gets in there it will pop and spit another pinhole forevermore!
Blasting should theoretically help with this and make some pinholes chase-out-able.

Main thing i do with pinholes is haiku.
Even if it doesn't really help anything.

Pinholes can happen
Just like they say "shit happens"
So do the pinholes

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Oh you little shit
How you pop sizzle and spit
Haiku doesn't rhyme

What’s That Noise?!?
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

That quarter panel right there gives me hope...I can replicate that weld. Now if I can just get the fitment and fabrications skills in line with what you're doing Jimbo I might get the 'ol 55 on the road again someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Oh you little shit
How you pop sizzle and spit
Haiku doesn't rhyme

But it is funny!
Well 12 syllables of it!
Haikus are funny!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
That quarter panel right there gives me hope...I can replicate that weld. Now if I can just get the fitment and fabrications skills in line with what you're doing Jimbo I might get the 'ol 55 on the road again someday.

You will! It is a mindset. One step at a time. Just keep going, and EVENTUALLY it is done!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

It is so helpful and motivating to see the work others (you) are doing to have some baseline as to how things need to look as progress is happening.
Starting from scratch in the metal/welding/bodywork world has been a challenge but a great one and I can see the progress in my own skillset when I have something to hold it up against. Thanks to TheSamba and the folks on this forum I believe I'll being running the 'ol 55 down the road again.
Thanks for the encouragement.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
It is so helpful and motivating to see the work others (you) are doing to have some baseline as to how things need to look as progress is happening.
Starting from scratch in the metal/welding/bodywork world has been a challenge but a great one and I can see the progress in my own skillset when I have something to hold it up against. Thanks to TheSamba and the folks on this forum I believe I'll being running the 'ol 55 down the road again.
Thanks for the encouragement.

That right there is why I even post to this forum! I strongly believe the best way to a good life is to have something to keep your mind active and ready. Once complacency sets in, the beginning of the end has started. I am hoping working on these projects will keep me going for years to come! Next one up is the FIL’s 57 Bel Air! So this is my last build thread on here for several years. Thought I would complete one that needed everything! Give everyone a guide to the process!

Remember to not give up. There is always someone with the knowledge you seek. You just need to ask people! There is always a different approach to use or method to utilize. Never pigeon hole your mind. Be open to constructive criticism, it by far is the best teacher. Be humble, except when dealing with assholes, then show them fangs!

You can do it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 84

Jump to: