Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between 2 camshafts
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Hi,

I have 2 cams that I would like to know how they would behave in the same engine.
Let's say a 78x94, panchito heads, 1.5 rockers.
What would be best suited to be use in a bus, and which carbs?

I'm not an expert, so be kind if it is a bit of a stupid question

L&G R285
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Webcam 86A

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jfdestree on Tue May 24, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Both sensible cams for drivers not dreamers
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Web still makes that camshaft.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_vehicles/automobile/volkswagen/670.html

.502 sounds like a lot of lift....to much lift for the street. It is billed as an off-road or racing camshaft. This is about 13mm of lift.

The other, it has less duration, and the lift....25.4mm to the inch. I'm not sure if I did my cyphering correct (Jethro Bodine there(sorry, I see that you are from Belguim, Jethro was on "The Beverly Hillbies" TV show and graduated from the 6th grad and was somewhat of an idiot hillbilly, he used the term cyphering to describe basic math)). But, 8.83mm divided by 25.4=.347" If you do it the other way around. (25.4 divided by 8.83=2.87" ) it doesn't come out right. That amount of lift (.347) is more sensible. Your valve will open and close a whole lot slower. Plugged in to the webcams chart...that is somewhat close to cam 86. This cam has 5 degrees less duration than 86a. The cam closest to it, on the web chart is cam86. 86 is described as "Good all around power for mild track or off-road. Can be used with higher lift rockers." Did you notice....All Around Power.

All Around Power and a Van....guess which cam I'd use.

AS far as carbs go, I have no idea. But, you said carbs, so you must be set on 2 of em. I'd be running a single barrel carb. Keep as simple as possible...I assume that this is somewhat of a Daily Driver.

If you go back a page from this, you get more options.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/43-7412.html

You did not say what year bus.

20 some years ago, my boss had a 2180 in a rail. It had Kadrons on it and it ran good.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

jfdestree wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 cams that I would like to know how they would behave in the same engine.

Did Löic recommend that cam or do you just happen to have it?
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
jfdestree wrote:
Hi,

Did Löic recommend that cam or do you just happen to have it?

I have it from a previous engine, but a totally different one. And that was what Loïc advice me.
It was from a 1600 that ran quite well, but I had to dissasemble after over revving it and lost oil pressure.
I never put it back together and was wondering if it could work into this 78x94.
I could have ask Loïc about his opinion. Very cool guy and extremely knowledgeable.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Yes, ask him. Everybody else´s opinion on that cam is worthless, mine included.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

I'll do that.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 2 camshafts Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

Just to let you know Loïc answer,

He adviced me the R285 cam, mostly because it has less duration. Lift on Panchito does not need to be huge and 12.5mm is generaly enough. With a set of drla and 34 vents I should have a nice engine.

He also told me that AA500 casting could have been a bit better as they have smaller ports that panchito. A bit less top end power, but more in the usable range. Panchito still are excellent heads
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: