Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative fuel guage?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

Well, my sender failed in my fuel tank. Right now, I do not want to cut a hole or pull the engine. Does anyone have a tricky way of measuring the fuel level? I usually keep track of mileage, but I'm looking for a better way. I though of using a dip stick, that might work pretty good. I figured I would wait till I need a clutch or some other work that would require pulling the engine.
Thanks, Deron.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

I have used a wooden dowel on old tractors.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

Not sure a dowel would make the turns in a bay.

I just count miles. Only messed up three times in six years. Helps to have AAA road-side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Not sure a dowel would make the turns in a bay.

I just count miles. Only messed up three times in six years. Helps to have AAA road-side.
Forgot it wasn't a straight shot. Weighted string? How about you fill it up run it out carrying a gas can and check the mileage.

Last edited by bsairhead on Sun May 08, 2022 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

Depends on the year, how about you put the year and model of your bus in your signature line?, my crystal ball's on the fritz.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

try not to go below half tank. Put a sticky pad on the dash and write the mileage down TO BUY GAS. If you get 18 mpg buy gas every 125 - 175 miles. That would be 1/2 - 1/3 full tank roughly. But it depends on the year because tank sizes and mileage vary slightly. Fill it up each time you buy gas. If you can't afford to then if you put in say 10 gallons buy gas 150 miles later to be safe. (10 x 15 mpg)

1971 is 15 gallons x 18 mpg = 270 miles. Much more you will be walking.

Carry a steel 5 gallon NATO gerry can full of gas with you too. That is what I used to do when the gauge was acting up.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun May 08, 2022 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

As Steve was saying you use the “known quantity “ method. So, either drain your tank and fill it with the required full quantity or just top it off and watch your mileage. 14 gallons/15 miles per gallon= time to get more gas.

What year is your bus and why not fix it?

Edit: I see no reason why you’d have a problem cutting an access hole? From looking at your gallery, you have a very non-original bus. A 4 1/2 inch hole saw located in the correct place will get that sender right out of there. Then you use some donor metal and make a cover. Easy.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
later
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(me) - "Im sorry Officer, its impossible to drive a straight line in a VW camper in a strong wind."

(Officer) - "Are you telling me sir that you are driving an unsafe vehicle?"...........(This no longer applys since installation of new Koni's.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

later wrote:
[img]pics[/img]

Now that's thinking, I approve! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

I do keep track of mileage. I also put a piece of hose in the Bus and can use that to put in the tank and then blow air through it to see if there is gas left.

I just though of a method. Would require a "T" in the gas line coming from the tank to the pump. Put a "T" in that line and run a clear hose up above the level of the filler. That way you could see the level of the gas.
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

It's a 1970. And I plan on fixing the sender as soon as the engine needs to be pulled for some other reason.

I do not want to cut a hole, because of the amount of time involved.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
It's a 1970. And I plan on fixing the sender as soon as the engine needs to be pulled for some other reason.

I do not want to cut a hole, because of the amount of time involved.

You are in San Diego. Coordinate with Gary and Telford, and you can probably pull the engine, firewall, sender, fix it and be done in a couple hours.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

I believe these vintage mileage counters could be used for that purpose. I heard that someone in England is reproducing these.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

You can get a stick down in to a 70's tank, make sure it's a clean one, and don't lose it in there.

But the mileage record works too, if you are coming up on 200 it's time for gas.

Слава Україні!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative fuel guage? Reply with quote

On boats you can use a low pressure range pressure sensor below the tank in a fuel line or at the lowest point of the tank to measure the pressure due to the height of fuel above it.
If you know the profile of the tank, you can get a fairly accurate measurement of the amount of fuel in the tank.

I used a commercial NMEA2000 sensor on a boat a couple of years back - you programmed it with the tank profile then it reported liters/gallons of fuel.

The same manufacturer also made a sonar version that pinged the distance to the top of the fuel in the tank, but the vibration from a single cylinder diesel generator made it misread unless you unscrewed the sensor from the top of the tank and held it.
https://www.maretron.com/products/tlm150.php
It uses NMEA2000 which is CAN bus .. so you would need to hunt around the internet for software libraries for an Arduino.

These days with all the Arduino hardware around, you should be able to measure the pressure using e.g. an analog 0..5 psi to 0.5 to 4.5volt pressure transducer, map it to a "stock" fuel sender curve, and then pulse width modulate the current into a 10 ohm resistor in series with the stock gauge. ..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: