Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandrail keeps melting points
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

Hey guys I have a question about a customers sandrail, I had it running and driving and he drove for a little bit then said it started missing really bad so I came to check out his ignition system and the sheathing on the wire from the points to condenser was melted but still there so I swapped both out and it started then stalled and same thing, any ideas?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

What coil is it using? A stock Bosch has approximately 3 ohm resistant between primary and secondary which drops the the voltage the points see.
If coil does not have the built in resistor, they you are going to need to add a ballast resistor or change out the coil that has resistor in it.
Voltage to points should be around 9 volts from negative side of coil.
There also the possibility that coil is 6volt one, it will cause similar problem.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

Is it a...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

No it's not a Bosch blue it's a black coil under a cover but he was running with it for the longest time, then he bought a brand new 009 and it runs like crazy doesn't idle right and doesn't respond to throttle
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

If it used to run ok and now it's burning points, running bad, idles bad and it's doing all of those at the same time after he installed a new distributor, he probably needs somebody to help him re-install the distributor! It may be something as simple as points gap and timing but somethings wrong!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

Brand new 009, what country is it from?
Install old distributor and see if it solve problem.
If it a Chinese made distributor, there are many threads on here with people having problems with them.
The original German 009 is the best even though it has it own advance curve problem.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

I installed new points in his original distributor and adjusted the points and it ran for a minute then died and I saw smoke coming from under the cap, so I put on his Chinese 009 electronic ignition and it idles real bad and I can't adjust the timing so I'm going back today he ordered new points and condenser which I already replaced bit I'm going to dig more into it
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

vw_bud wrote:
No it's not a Bosch blue it's a black coil under a cover but he was running with it for the longest time, then he bought a brand new 009 and it runs like crazy doesn't idle right and doesn't respond to throttle

They do go bad you know....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail keeps melting points Reply with quote

Fixed it put an original distributor with new points and condenser set timing and bam!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: