Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dellorto whistle fix?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

I just got my 36 Dells back from the rebuilder. Installed them and totally forgot about the evil whistle they make. I can't find those base gaskets with the little nub that fills the gap in the bottom of the carbs. A little light reading suggested a dab of silicone in each gap under the carb. I'm a little leery of a gob dropping out and into the engine so I'm turning to you all.

Any suggestions on what to do here? If silicone is safe then I'll go ahead and do it.

Thanks everyone. NAES
SBS #00
David Miskov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

I filled mine years ago with JB weld. I have had no problem with them.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

Small bit of gas tank repair epoxy, the type you knead into shape. Push the nib/formed cone firmly into the carb's formed hole, then use razor knife to cut off the epoxy that presses out beyond the surrounding carb surface. Cut off the excess before it hardens.

The whistle effect is similar to using a large acorn shell held between your hands in a certain way and blowing into it- very piercing and loud whistle. Neighbor kid showed that to me when I was a kid.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

OK great. Thank you much guys.

NAES
SBS #00
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

Anybody ever had this whistle or chirp with Weber IDFs?

I have a set of 40's that whistle or chirp during lean conditions, such as when stomping on it or during transition from idle circuit to mains (still tuning this out).

I think the new spanish IDF's (which I have) have the cold start circuit blocked. There are no plungers installed. I haven't heard of this being an issue for others so maybe my whistle is from something else?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

The fix is to shift. Seriously! If you shift right at the start of the whistle in each gear, you get great MPG!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

For the last few years I have been running 48 Dellortos and for whatever reason these just don't whistle like the smaller ones do. Maybe it is due to the position of the butterflies at light acceleration or the larger throttle bore leaves a smaller space for the gap where the cold start enrichment circuit could have existed.... I sort of miss it. Maybe I should put some 45s back on for next season.....
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

It is probably because the manifold matches the throttle bore.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

Brilliant! That makes a ton of sense.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:

Anybody?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

No, the layout of the idle circuit is different between the Dell and the Weber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
boxer74 wrote:

Anybody?

Yes, I did. The fix for me was to trim the gasket that is located between the carbs and manifolds to the hole size to match the top of the intake manifolds. Most of the idf manifolds have holes to fit 48 idfs.
So if you have smaller idfs and gaskets that match the carbs base that leaves material hanging out and acts like a whistles reed valve.
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
boxer74 wrote:

Anybody?

Yes, I did. The fix for me was to trim the gasket that is located between the carbs and manifolds to the hole size to match the top of the intake manifolds. Most of the idf manifolds have holes to fit 48 idfs.
So if you have smaller idfs and gaskets that match the carbs base that leaves material hanging out and acts like a whistles reed valve.

Thank you! I was hoping for an answer like this. I will have to try this.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dellorto-DRLA-Anti-W...gasket.htm

Here they are but out of stock.
There is someone here in the classifieds that sells them too.
I can’t remember who but I got mine from them in 2018.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
motomwo wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
boxer74 wrote:

Anybody?

I trimmed the gaskets to fit the holes in the manifolds and my chirp is gone. Thanks!
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

This months HotVWs has a tech article on the Dellorto carbs. They suggest an epoxy.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

A thicker more ridged gasket material would most likely fix it.

The thin stock gasket acts like the reed in a wind instrument.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:

I trimmed the gaskets to fit the holes in the manifolds and my chirp is gone. Thanks!

Excellent result!
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
motomwo wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
boxer74 wrote:

Anybody?

Cool! Glad I was able to be of help.
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto whistle fix? Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:
Cool! Glad I was able to be of help.

Yes, thanks again.

What's odd is that the CB 3125 hexbar kit comes with gaskets sized for 40 IDF's. So that means that everyone would need to trim them.

I ordered a few gaskets for 48s for future use that will hopefully not require any trimming.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: