Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch pedal grease recommendations
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanderbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

Noticed some slop in my clutch pedal. Got it out and the clevis is fine but the bushings in the pedal seem to be worn. I've got new bushings in now, but wondering if anyone has grease recommendations.

I've read that moly isn't good for brass/bronze bushings. Would white lithium be okay for this. I'm guessing any non moly grease would be fine but just curious what others have used.

Thanks.
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

Wow, you've done the hard part in getting access and removing the assembly ! I know it is tight getting in there to remove the pin and inspect.

I stopped the squeaking by pushing some (lithium based) marine grease into the clevis which I'm sure is fine. The important part being to keep it lubricated.

It's on my list to disassemble it all and inspect replace worn parts too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanderbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just use some white lithium and get it done.

Getting the pedal out wasn't too bad. I'm a little concerned putting it back in will be a little tougher.
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

Right, I was just thinking the same, re-assembly is gonna be tough. I can barely get my hands in there must less actually do anything.

I'm wondering IF one can inspect the clevis pin and hole that wears, maybe with a mirror or small camera, so as to know IF removal IS necessary ?

I was just happy to be able to lubricate it and stop the squeaking !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

I have not heard of worn pedal bushings.
Thats a new one on me!!

———————-

But WRT the clevis, the pedal leverage ratio is 6:1.
Pull up/down on the pedal and measure the slop.
Divide that measurement by 6 and that’s the amount of slop at the clevis.

So if you measure 30mm of slop at the pedal, there’s 5mm of slop at the clevis.

I think ~25 mm at the pedal is enough slop to “fix now”.
But if its dry, then at least “grease now” & stop the wear.

I’m curious if there was “some year” that VW started greasing the clevis at the factory.
Where prior to that, vans were leaving the factory with a dry clevis.
My 1990 still had OEM grease and zero slop.

I don’t think “grease type” is important here.
“Dry since MFR date” was the problem.
Any kind of grease and you’re good for 30 years.
Put it on your calendar to regrease in y2052👍🏽👍🏽

Regular grease is good. Moly is good. I suppose white lithium is good but if I had regular grease like wheel bearing grease, that’s what I’d use.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vanderbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

@Sodo

Thanks for that. Wish I would've seen or found that info earlier.

So in hindsight I think my "issues" were probably just me not knowing what to look for. After having everything apart and now (thankfully) back together, I believe the "slop" I thought was there wasn't really an issue. It seems about the same as before but at least everything is greased now and I understand the system/components better.

The grease thing still makes me wonder if white lithium was the best choice. These components seem to be under a lot of pressure/stress so a "tougher" grease might have been better but it is what it is and I'm sure it will be fine for quite some time. I'll probably have to replace my clutch master well before anything else.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal grease recommendations Reply with quote

cross-link to revised PSA for clutch pedal wear inspection:
CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: