Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie rust repair
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptLou87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

Hi. I apologize for asking but I’m in a bit over my head having never done any body repair before. I had a rusty panel on my Vanagon along the side bumper cap that I attacked using a wire wheel angle grinder. Cutting out the metal was not an option.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also attacked it from the other side of the seem as well after removing the undercoating. Applied Ospho, sanded and thought I was ready for the next step.
I have Por15 but seems like more people suggest expoxy primer instead.
Picked up a rattle can from napa of one of those 2 chamber DTM epoxy primers
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MS_7300
but I have a lot of questions.

Should I use jb weld or some other filler next?
Should I use the por15 or napa expoxy primer first and then jb weld? Or return it and use some other primer?
If expoxy goes first, let it cure completely and then apply filler? Would then need to scuff/sand to apply base coat paint color and clear coat?

I would love some help with the next steps on the easiest way to handle this.

Thanks much.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

You'll get different answers on this.

In the past people would apply filler direct to metal then paint. But today the go-to method is to epoxy prime the area (to prevent further rusting) then fill.

By protecting the metal first, you don't get the potential of rusting underneath.

On my car I did epoxy first. Then scuffed it up with the recommended grit sandpaper and filled it. Then paint.

Of course you don't have to fill straight away. It can sit for a long time as the epoxy will protect it.

Now wait for the counter views.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

Agree with Viking. Just be 100% certain that ALL the rust is neutralized, before spraying the epoxy primer onto the metal.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

search "all metal" filler.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
You'll get different answers on this.

In the past people would apply filler direct to metal then paint. But today the go-to method is to epoxy prime the area (to prevent further rusting) then fill.

By protecting the metal first, you don't get the potential of rusting underneath.

On my car I did epoxy first. Then scuffed it up with the recommended grit sandpaper and filled it. Then paint.

Of course you don't have to fill straight away. It can sit for a long time as the epoxy will protect it.
Now wait for the counter views.

Agreed
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

I don't use 2 part pink filler any more. Its porous, and it isn't very strong. I have started using 3M panel adhesive (epoxy) to fill in pits and imperfections. Metal needs to be bare. 24 hour cure, then sand.
Just an option, these epoxies did not exist back when bondo was invented. JB weld may also stick well.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie rust repair Reply with quote

I’d use short kitty hair filler.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: