Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway…
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

And I got the dreaded red oil light. One minute I was cruising in my bus with the family with oil pressure nicely better than 10psi per 1k rpm. Oil temp around 180*. I was feeling good about life. Then I felt a weird hiccup, and a few seconds later the light came on. Luckily, I was right near an exit ramp and I pulled into the the zebra striping. Light was on for all of 5 seconds if that. Oil all over the bus and the highway.

What hose? The blue Continental stuff.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Blue-Oil-Hose-1-2-ID-Push-Lock-Compatible-p/super-stock-oil-hose.htm

What connectors? Parker Push Lok.

The hose popped off one of the Push Lok fittings on my Mocal sandwich plate adapter which I installed about 30 miles of driving ago. Or maybe something hit the line. Either way, I lost all the oil out of my motor. Actually, after waiting on the side of the highway for 2 hrs for a tow truck that towed us less than 100 yards off the highway and told us we were on our own, there was a little bit on the end of the dipstick. Just a little bit.

And now for the question maybe no one can definitively answer: how fucked am I?

I mean I know no one’s going to say “good job, man. What a great way to speed up an oil change.” On the other hand, I didn’t overheat, I just drove a few seconds at highway speed with little to no oil. Embarassed In the end, I got 4.5 quarts of oil (1.5 sump plus filter), a filter, and filled the motor back up and drove my sorry self back home. Wife and 2 year old got picked up by a friend, thankfully. No weird noises from the engine or the family. No issues, no nothing in the short 3 mile drive home.

What do I do now? Keep driving until I hear funny noises?

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Drive it.....figure out why that hose popped off.
I've been using Push-Loc hose for 10 years and never had an issue. I replaced with new hose after 7 years because I was heading on a long trip and ...well....because I could and didn't want to have an issue. That hose is still on and working great.

I'm not sure why your hose popped off but that stuff is pretty reliable from what I have seen and experienced. Examine the hose carefully and see if you can spot anything.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

It’ll probably be fine. Pull the sump plate and look for bits of metal. That shouldn’t happen if all of the hoses & fittings are compatible. Was the hose damaged?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Sounds like you might have caught it in time, as already mentioned fix the leak and drive, any new noises?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
Light was on for all of 5 seconds if that.

You're fine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Thanks for all the positive feedback. We’re headed on a trip in July so a baked engine is the last thing we want. There are no new noises, thankfully. The only lingering effect is the annoyance that I didn’t have enough spare oil in the bus to fully refill and that we had to wait so long for the tow.

And that two Vanagons passed us by. One was a Syncro that parks right in our neighborhood.

On the plus side, NYPD came and babysat us on the median. One of them was a Porsche guy. We talked air-cooled stuff until he realized he should put a flare in the road.

I’ll replace that length of hose from the sandwich plate adapter to the oil cooler and see what happens. There was no obvious damage to it. Even if it wasn’t on all the way I could see a leak but not popping off. I’m also considering clamps, even if they’re not strictly necessary.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Sounds like you caught it in time, "BUT" replace the lines with AN and never worry again!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Clamps actually reduce the pressure rating…
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Okay. No clamps but I will get new hose.

Also, my wife just noted that I reacted so quickly in turning the engine off that she thought we had just lost power somehow. Then she registered me saying “oh shit, oil light.”

Last edited by D/A/N on Sun May 22, 2022 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

I've witnessed three pushlok related failures. Each one caused enough damage to warrant the "extra" cost of having real crimped ends installed.
Lots of people swear by it as a permanent installation, but I view it as a good temp fix.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

I think it's no big deal. Relax
Don't know why that would fail either, but, in any case fix at least that one hose different this time just to be sure it doesn't do the same thing again.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

spend the $$ for piece of mind, AN fittings are 10 to 20 each and the line is 10$ per foot for -8 teflon steel braided with a cover on it, have the hose company crimp them or build your own.. Worth every penny even at 2x the cost.

Anything can fail, but using lines that airplanes use is safer than using pushlock or barb fittings and clamps.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Is this that new stroker engine you put in the Rivi???
E
You need to hook up with Glen on LI. I enjoy giving his road biking ass shit, but he knows his stuff and is way closer to you then Skills in Connecticut.

On a side note, I run all Parker hoses and fittings on my engines for eva with no issues. Probably just a fluke.

Best of luck,
Rich P
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Stop playing around. This is about all i will use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen a few weeks back, push lok hose blew off the oil pump outlet. Caught it within seconds and shut it down. I've replaced the lines and fittings with AN type to make sure it never happens again. Doesn't appear to have damaged the engine thankfully.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Clamps increase the pressure rating. 👍 Particularly, the instantaneous pressure spike tolerance, which is useful when employed on our systems.

All of the documentation for every push-on medium-pressure system I am aware of will tell you clamps are bad, but they just don't want the risk of it being executed incorrectly.

I made about 20-25 hoses and cyclically hydrostatic-tested them at work, since we made process piping and had a 10,000 PSI capable hydrostat test pump. The clamped hoses always beat out the unclamped ones by several hundred PSI on average, except once. A clamped hose split in the middle and tied with an unclamped one that blew an end out. Sort of an oddity but I got my answer. I tried both Fragola's aluminum system and the Parker system.

To me that says that the push-lok system is actually pretty balanced, in that the hose end blow-out pressure is pretty close to the hose explosion pressure.

A key is to use a very thin clamp as far towards the seating indication ring at the base of the push-lok barb as possible.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Good information and testing. Most would just put a normal hose clamp on

The manufacturer states the pressure reduction, which is why I mentioned it
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Is this that new stroker engine you put in the Rivi???
E
You need to hook up with Glen on LI. I enjoy giving his road biking ass shit, but he knows his stuff and is way closer to you then Skills in Connecticut.

On a side note, I run all Parker hoses and fittings on my engines for eva with no issues. Probably just a fluke.

Best of luck,
Rich P

I know Dan and Jessica but had not seen them in years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: So, one of my full flow lines popped off on the highway… Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

I would never use that type... the band cuts into the hose.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: