Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pressure regulator
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Plug the lines you have running into the jugs to test pressure statically.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

what Jeff said.

You did make sure the bolts holding the regulator cleared the tank, right? The firewall is almost up against it. More than one person here has drilled thru the firewall into the tank without realizing it until the engine is back in and the tank filled.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun May 22, 2022 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

only fills one jug

any thoughts on my question?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
How can I test this without having the carbs hooked up?

Pinch both hoses so only a tiny trickle come out of one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
malcolm2 wrote:
How can I test this without having the carbs hooked up?

Pinch both hoses so only a tiny trickle come out of one.

when i start the pump... i get one side filling a jug. other side is trickling.

I pinch the running side, just for a couple seconds, and the other side starts, but the 1st running side goes to a trickle.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

post a PDF of the instructions or a link to them for the regulator.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
post a PDF of the instructions or a link to them for the regulator.

what is THEM? Instructions for what.... I got a note in the box, saying I had two days.... times up.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

My last name might be Kent but I do not have x-ray vision to see inside that regulator to see how the ports are plumbed. At least post the make and model of that regulator so we can try to find a set of instructions to answer your questions on why the flow is so uneven. For all we know one port could be regulated and the other unregulated or something like that. Smile
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sun May 22, 2022 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

https://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Fuel/793/30-804QFT/10002/-1

I tried contacting them, but they seem to be phone oriented, fax too. So I will call them in the AM...

You know what I know now. You would think they would note any crazy features on the item page.... Port size is important, but not much else given.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

thanks, I am off to bed, 71 year olds should not be up to midnight. We can read the manual in the morning. Took 3 or 4 minutes to find the manual.

https://documents.holley.com/99-30-803.pdf
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Good luck sorting that out.

Quote:

My last name might be Kent but I do not have x-ray vision to see inside that regulator to see how the ports are plumbed.

Ok , thst cost me my morning coffee

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I thought i read that the 803 came factory set at 2.75 psi.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon May 23, 2022 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Plug both lines. Check pressure. Stop pump release pressure, swap lines do it again.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I did get intouch with Jegs today.... While plugging the lines may give me a reading, it seems that the only way to test is to hook it up.

Oh well, guess I won't know til I am done if it works or not.

Thanks for commenting.

Clark
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I did get intouch with Jegs today.... While plugging the lines may give me a reading, it seems that the only way to test is to hook it up.

Thanks for commenting.

Clark

If you hooked a fuel rail and injectors at the end, you could test it. Obviously there is no pressure with no resistance at the end. The fact that one side is trickling and the other free flowing is because the trickle line has the slight resistance of the gauge and fluids flow to the path of least resistance. Once injectors are present the fuel pressure gauge won't affect anything.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

Thanks for commenting.

Clark
You can test it the way we have told you. The reason to set pressure on a carbed engine is so you don't push past the float needle when closed. Volume is a different story.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

if you want to test it, pinch each fuel line closed with something like one of these. I got mine at a Napa, but HF has similar. Then release one until a small trickle flows. The do the other so both are flowing. If it is set at the 6.5 psi the PDF and ads online say it is, you will need to adjust it down to maybe 3 1/2 psi or so. I think 6+ may overwhelm the needles. We used to set the race car to 3 - 5 max and those carbs were maintained in a pristine condition.

If you have not yet touched the adjustment screw, your pressure gauge should read 6.5 PSI. If not then the gauge may be suspect.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

If one carb isn't getting fuel the problem is more likely to be in the carb than to be in the regulator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: