Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

The transmission Guru that is guiding me is of 24/7 nurse duty while his sweetie recovers from big time surgery. So... while waiting, I dealt with a minor issue/annoyance.
The steering wheel, over the course of 40ish years lost one of the wooden grips. Since I am trying to stay OG where I can, I asked my fatherinlaw to make new grips and he did a couple weeks back. Today, the wood got stained. I could replace the entire thing for 30 bucks with a new one, but... I like that this is still THE steering wheel that was on it.
If nothing else, I can say I made some progress! Once we finish the transaxle, then things will really start to roll. I can do wiring, add motorplate, figure out how to mount a wheelie bar and everything else that requires the rear end to be installed. The end of May is coming FAST!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

We are finally back on the transmission! Perhaps, by this weekend, it will be mounted to the chassis. Then... crazy mad dash to finish it for the May race in 2 weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

What race are you going to in two weeks?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Riddle, Oregon OORA race
geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Man thats a long way to go for a race. Did you know that there is a track in Missouri? thundervalleysanddrags.com
geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I just tried the link to Thunder Valley that I posted in the post before this and it didn't work. They do have a Facebook page, search Thunder Valley Sanddrags
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

A long ways? It is 30 min away
geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I thought that you were in Arkansas. Looking back through your thread I see that I made a mistake.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

It's all good!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Woot, I will be working on the transmission today! Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully I will be to a point that it is functional.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Finally assembled and working! Lots of customizing the custom parts!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this post. Thank you for sharing the progress on your project...I LOVE it! A few years ago I acquired a very similar drag rail from the same era that I'm slowing bringing back to life. It's super helpfull to see how other builders build these live axles as it seems to be a lost art that only few run these days. I've paused progress on it this year to work on another project since my local track has shut down (temporarily I hope) so it isn't number 1 on the to do list at the moment. I've also since then added more to the head & leg areas of the cage/frame and lengthened it some more....really it doesn't look like the same rail at this point. Below is a pic of how it was when I got it and after I put a little bit of temporary black spray bomb paint on there to freshen it up. Maybe this next year, I can get back to work on it....I get lots of enjoyment working on that little thing.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Nice!!!
Originally I was going to try and run without the teans extension, but my axle is too narrow to allow the engine to fit between the tires, so... extension. This kicks the wheelbase from 124 to 139 inches.

Last edited by vwfye on Sun May 15, 2022 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Piddly, but necessary things today. The Magnesium casing for the transmission extension and the hubs and disc brake hubs all needed paint. So what color do you use with orange? Black. Now I just have to wait for paint to dry.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

The original design of this buggy used the t1 trans mounts. With the extension comes the bus bell housing and no provision for mounting. I added upright tabs to locate the lower bell housing bolts, there will be an engine plate holding the pulley end of the engine and some 5/8" .120 wall round tube with ends holding the top of the extension bell housing to the back of the roll bar for the driver. I hope this is enough to keep everything in place, in check and the driver (me) safe.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

If this is the foundation of your Blower engine build? I see a little tiny issue with the #2 cylinder spigot. Very Happy

I'd really like to attend one of your sand drag races, sometime in the future.

Keep up the great work.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

So, I will be completely redoing the engine plate and the engine to trans mounts. The mounts were t1 for engine and trans, not t4 bus.

Ah the joy of custom things.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Made my template to build the new t4 engine plate. Next is cutting it from the .250 aluminum plate.

With transmission extender, the wheelbase is now 139 inches.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Design evolution and execution

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

The intermediate mount is designed. Tomorrow I will cut and drill. If that all goes well, i will have a roller by Monday!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: