Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 Eurovan Manual Transmission Issue Mystery
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stargazer137
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: 1993 Eurovan Manual Transmission Issue Mystery Reply with quote

1993 Eurovan, 2.5L, Manual transmission, ~180,000 miles

Not sure what is wrong with my transmission--any advice would be very, very appreciated.

While idling, not in gear and clutch out (not depressed) there is a slight clicking noise about 120 hertz (twice a second) coming from the engine compartment/ under the shiftier. Reviving the engine to 1000/1500 rmp increases the clicking rate.

While idling, not in gear and clutch depress (pedal pressed in fully) there is no clicking. This is the only case where everything seems normal with the van.

Moving slowly in first gear the clicking is much louder. When moving around 10mph in second the van shakes some and the clicking is even louder and maybe some grinding. Same clicking in reverse, I haven't used any higher gear. It is a ruff ride in 1st and more so in 2nd.

This problem started after this:
I was backing out of parking space and couldn't get the stick shiftier out of reverse with clutch depressed. I popped the clutch and the van jerked and stalled out and there was a loud "CLUNK" Sad . When I restarted the engine and continued moving in reverse I noticed the clicking and ruff ride.

additional context:
I bought my van 2 months earlier and no problems moving forward. I put about 200 side street miles and about 100 highway miles.

However, the van did come with an issue with reverse. While moving in reverse there is a loud clunk and violent jerk of the van with every clunk, the clunk and jerk only happen about every time the wheels rotate, the frequency is dependent on speed. The previous owner said this is how they caused the issue with reverse: "I had it parked and had the break on and it in reverse and I turned it on without stepping on the break and it lurched but didn’t go anywhere because the break was on" which doesn't sound quite true/ possible.

Also there has been a coolant leak. I bought it from a young driver who learned to drive manual with this van. So maybe they could have worn out down the clutch considerably.

I'm guessing the clutch, pressure plate or throw out baring broke. Could the issue be in the transmission?

One repair shop is asking about $150 to figure out the issue and another $2000 to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out baring, labor and parts.

Another repair shop is asking at least $300 to figure out what is wrong and $1800 to replace those three parts.

A third place next town over is asking $1300 to replace those three parts, but there is a language barrier and I couldn't ask if they could check to see what's wrong and I'm not 100% sure they said they would replace all 3 parts.

Any guess to the issue or advice would be greatly appreciated! I can perform a test if anyone has a suggestion.

Thank you very much.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Manual Transmission Issue Mystery Reply with quote

Unfortunately it sounds like the reverse gear in the transmission was damaged when it was started in gear. Likely the debris from the broken gear has gotten in other places and damaged bearings and/or gears.

You'll need to remove the transmission and have the innards inspected to determine the extent of the damage. While you're doing that, a new clutch and rear main seal would also be in order.

I think the likely outcome is the installation of a good used or rebuild transmission, it's very likely that the transmission is damaged beyond economical repair, gears are very expensive.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Manual Transmission Issue Mystery Reply with quote

Your description of how the problem began suggests you could have damaged the transmission internally (shift fork, damaged gear or bearing, etc); or, you could have damaged the clutch disc (broken spring(s) ). A definitive diagnosis is unlikely until you pull it apart.

Since you have a clicking/grinding sound related to the clutch being engaged -and rotation of the main-shaft- try the following to isolate main-shaft/gear rotation from the clutch:

Put the van in 1st gear, run it up to 10 mph, then push in the clutch and let it coast -still in 1st gear, don't put it in neutral. This disengages the clutch, but the main-shaft is still rotating because it's now being driven by the pinion shaft via movement of the van.

If it doesn't click/grind while coasting with the clutch pushed in (because you've stated that it does not do this when idling -presumably with the vehicle parked), then it may be related to the pressure-plate and/or flywheel (but doesn't necessarily rule out the clutch disc...it's still rotating with the main-shaft).

If it clicks/grinds while coasting in gear with the clutch pushed in, then it's likely a transmission issue (but doesn't necessarily rule out the clutch disc...it's still rotating with the main-shaft). If it clicks/grinds while coasting in neutral with the clutch pushed in, then it's most certainly a transmission issue (main-shaft and clutch disc should be 'relatively' idle -perhaps rotating a bit due to the friction of the bearings under each spinning gear).

The shaking is an odd symptom (which you've poorly described); if related to the balance of the clutch assembly or flywheel (say, if either became loose), then it would be a very high-frequency shake that you would expect to feel increasing in RPM whether the van was moving or not. The clunk/jerk in reverse, and only feeling the shaking when the van is moving (if it is a low-frequency shake related to the speed of the vehicle), suggests you might have CV joint issues (and/or a very out-of-round tire or wheel) on top of whatever else is going on. The clunking/jerking once per wheel rotation suggests a CV/wheel issue; if it were a damaged reverse gear/idler, there would be several clunks/jerks/grinds per wheel rotation.

Need more/better info...even video of the symptoms could be helpful in diagnosing what's going on. It's probably gonna be expensive one way or another.

I don't think electrickery works that way
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Manual Transmission Issue Mystery Reply with quote

U might have a bad cv joint but all that klunking sounds like tranny problems..are all your forward gears ok? If they are not including the clicking it's a internal tranny problem. Hey u can,and I have driven for months w no reverse..but planning is critical..Good Luck Bill in PR (93 Eurovan,stick w 4 speeds forward at the moment.and wl a adjustment I have 5 forward but no Reverse,linkage problems...
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Manual Transmission Issue Mystery Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
U might have a bad cv joint but all that klunking sounds like tranny problems..are all your forward gears ok? If they are not including the clicking it's a internal tranny problem. Hey u can,and I have driven for months w no reverse..but planning is critical..Good Luck Bill in PR (93 Eurovan,stick w 4 speeds forward at the moment.and wl a adjustment I have 5 forward but no Reverse,linkage problems...

I agree, the big clunks in reverse at wheel speed sound like CV joint.

For the engine speed dependent "clicking", possibly it's just a motor mount you broke when popping the clutch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: