Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

I planned on wrenching on my ride today, but then I changed my mind. I think I will screwdriver and pliers on it instead.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

My latest encounter was with some guy, he said his Dad had a 64 just like yours, mines a 67. Confused Then he starts to tell me "you know those old bugs never had serial numbers" Shocked . Yeah Ok its too hot out here in the sunny parking lot to get into a discussion with him about that. So I go inside to see if they have what I came for and he actually worked there and was the checkout clerk. He starts digging in his pocket and shows me the key from his Dads 64, that he keeps on his key chain I thought thats pretty cool, then he said it would probably start my car because they all used the same key...I really wanted to play Slug Bug with him at that point but thought I should just leave.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

That’s when you get in “ the ones with the Porch ( sic) motors have different keys”
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Apparently every VW with a castle horn button air or water cooled is a rare Wolfsburg edition in Idaho. Similarly...

It's not just one o them convertible rabbits, it's a rare Cabriolet edition.

It's one of the rare Karmann ghia edition Sciroccos.

In Idaho, Sunbugs are available in every color for virtually every year as long as they have a sunroof- but usually only if they're a super beetle.

Any camper is a Westphalia (sic). Every Thing is ex-military.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Apparently every VW with a castle horn button air or water cooled is a rare Wolfsburg edition in Idaho. Similarly...

It's not just one o them convertible rabbits, it's a rare Cabriolet edition.

It's one of the rare Karmann ghia edition Sciroccos.

In Idaho, Sunbugs are available in every color for virtually every year as long as they have a sunroof- but usually only if they're a super beetle.

Any camper is a Westphalia (sic). Every Thing is ex-military.

Could be more to do with Idaho than anything VW related. I've heard stories about 'those people up there.' Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Forgot, people who mistake a torque wrench for a breaker bar.

“I used a torque wrench to remove my 46 mm Bus nuts”
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Why were there no pet peeves between 2007 and 2020?

I’m peeved by that.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

My pet peeve. When reaching over to push open the passenger side vent window, it makes contact with the passenger side view mirror throwing it out of adjustment. On my 70 convertible beetle.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Or when you flip the front seat forward and then close the door with the vent windows open it hits or the seat hits the arm rest
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I planned on wrenching on my ride today, but then I changed my mind. I think I will screwdriver and pliers on it instead.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

I run a very small repair shop. I only work on aircooled VWs (with the exception of my neighbor's Corvair), so my parking lot is usually full of cool cars.

I'm generally very positive, but the amount of experts who stop in because they're bored is getting a bit tiring. I'm always friendly, but I'm also trying to work to feed my family.

"Are these all yours? What are you doing with them?!"
No, they belong to customers. I'm fixing them.
"Well, how much for that one?"
I don't know, it's not mine and I don't see a for sale sign on it!
"Well everything has a price!"
Yep, and it's here for a disc brake conversion, I bet the owner would be a bit ticked off if I sold it on him!

"I used to buy these things for $100. I'd be pretty happy with a decent one for around a grand. Think you can find me one?"
Yes, because if I find a decent Beetle for a grand, I'm totally going to pass it on to some guy I've met once.

The absolute worst are the old retired guys who just stop in to tell me how much they know about these cars, and then start quizzing me while I'm working. Did you know a Porsche motor bolts right in? Did you know if you put a Karmann Ghia engine in that Bug, it'll beat a Challenger? Ever put a cam and heads from a Super Beetle in one of these?!

Do I walk into your woodworking shop and start quizzing you about bandsaws, dado bits and tell you how to construct the perfect bird house?

Oh, and I had a guy stop in last week with a totally dismantled '68 that needed floors. He's willing to trade it for a driveable one.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Was shooting the breeze with an older, hell my age, guy at the CTVA show in Harwington, talking VW, he's looking at the bus talking about how he wants one for a project. During the conversation he asks what I paid and later on, when did i buy it. We chatted about Type 4 rebuilding challenges and cost. It was clear he knew something about late bus stuff.
A few minutes later he says he'd give me 1k more than what I paid for it 12 years ago. I grinned at him, thanked him for the offer, and suggested he'd need a way bigger bag of cash.
After a stunned "Are you kidding me?" I just nodded, wished him luck....
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Yeah, old retired guys......they're the worst!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
I run a very small repair shop. I only work on aircooled VWs (with the exception of my neighbor's Corvair), so my parking lot is usually full of cool cars.

I'm generally very positive, but the amount of experts who stop in because they're bored is getting a bit tiring. I'm always friendly, but I'm also trying to work to feed my family.

"Are these all yours? What are you doing with them?!"
No, they belong to customers. I'm fixing them.
"Well, how much for that one?"
I don't know, it's not mine and I don't see a for sale sign on it!
"Well everything has a price!"
Yep, and it's here for a disc brake conversion, I bet the owner would be a bit ticked off if I sold it on him!

"I used to buy these things for $100. I'd be pretty happy with a decent one for around a grand. Think you can find me one?"
Yes, because if I find a decent Beetle for a grand, I'm totally going to pass it on to some guy I've met once.

The absolute worst are the old retired guys who just stop in to tell me how much they know about these cars, and then start quizzing me while I'm working. Did you know a Porsche motor bolts right in? Did you know if you put a Karmann Ghia engine in that Bug, it'll beat a Challenger? Ever put a cam and heads from a Super Beetle in one of these?!

Do I walk into your woodworking shop and start quizzing you about bandsaws, dado bits and tell you how to construct the perfect bird house?

Oh, and I had a guy stop in last week with a totally dismantled '68 that needed floors. He's willing to trade it for a driveable one.

Just give us a bottle of water and a minute later, lock us in the bathroom.

And, yeah, give me a $1000 and I’ll find one for you.
StripedRedBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

One of the only things I don't like about my beetle is the back seat is really hard to lift when you need to access the battery, it damages the headliner that's on the side.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

StripedRedBug wrote:
One of the only things I don't like about my beetle is the back seat is really hard to lift when you need to access the battery, it damages the headliner that's on the side.

Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Yup. I have the scares and tears as well. 🤦‍♂️

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

My VW pet peeve is when someone states how the Corvair's were "revolutionary for their time," but the creator of the Corvair took most of his inspiration from VW's of the time and so what's so revolutionary about the Corvair exactly?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

hobthebob wrote:
My VW pet peeve is when someone states how the Corvair's were "revolutionary for their time," but the creator of the Corvair took most of his inspiration from VW's of the time and so what's so revolutionary about the Corvair exactly?

Dum dums.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

"You know, if you put a generator on the wheel you wouldn't have to stop to recharge your batteries?"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[thinking to myself while trying to run away]
"You know, if you put a brain in that skull you wouldn't make such asinine statements."
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

I heard a great one last week. It seems that damned Biden crew is giving us a check to convert our cars over to electric. VW's are the easiest to do because the motors bolt right up! He's going to get back to me with the contact information. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: