Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our project 66, tetanus shot not included.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Snapping spring plate bolts?? Next time I need the Hulk i'm callin' you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Next time buy the CSP seal/gasket kit. Fits fantastic.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Snapping spring plate bolts?? Next time I need the Hulk i'm callin' you!

Haha it was purely from ignorance, I didn’t think and started horsing them up. They are rusty and crappy and snapped under minor load. They were on my shopping list eventually but I wanted them in and snug to continue my progress but roarrrrrrrrrrr…. snap!!! Hahaha

Here’s the new ones, lovely!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Hi guys and hope you are all doing well. It's been a hard week working 14 hr days but today I left early and made some progress.

Firstly, I replaced the snapped clutch return spring...a quick and simple job that I was warned about being a real pain...I guess I was lucky. Took all of five minutes.

Then added some new shocks

Tomorrow, I will finish up the rear drivers side brake lines and the drivers front. Pics to follow!

Cheers!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

It's been a busy week or so. I've not done much but I did take stock...

and I built a dolly...

That's about it for now fella's.
mhodge00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Hello Dolly...

Chassis looks sweet. Great job!
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Pilch-
Dolly looks sweet- wish I needed one now.
Find a body yet? Did you see this one?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2548214
Itʻs even in Utah.
Not that you need any help, though.
Keep plugginʻ.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Pilch-
Dolly looks sweet- wish I needed one now.
Find a body yet? Did you see this one?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2548214
Itʻs even in Utah.
Not that you need any help, though.
Keep plugginʻ.

Hi Tim - yeah I saw that one for sale, unfortunately it needs the same as mine does so it would be pointless of me to sink 2k into it - but hey I appreciate the link brother!

More pics to come today.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Here's the rear end pretty much finished. New bushings, new bolts, new shocks, new brakes, painted, cleaned, wire brushed and ready for action.

I'm still working another job for extra money and parts, both of which I've run out of today, so I decided to tear down this 1300 motor and see what's what...

The carb is completely frozen and stinks of varnish. My favorite smell.

As I thought, the rings are toast, on all four pistons.

A couple of the cylinders had broken fins, and also one of them was fastened to the main case bolts with wire wtf???

So in its component parts, the motor seems to be ok. I wiggled on the con rods and the rod bearings seem good, but I ran out of weekend, so next time I'll pull the case apart and see how it's all doing in there. Very interesting to me is all this motor stuff....but I am a total engine noob, any further than simple maintenance and tune-up, so this will be a great learning adventure.

Thanks for watching along fella's!!

G
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Mate, after working so many 14 hour shifts you need to come home and have a rest. Can't keep working on your car all the time.You'll put all the rest of us slack-asses to shame.

Seriously. Keep up the good work. Very Happy
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Looks to be a factory rebuilt engine with the X stamped after the engine number.
Is there a P stamped by the case seam? That means the case halves were planed and line bored to standard size. I have a few sets of 1300 pistons and cylinders, 1300 intake and exhaust valves if you need anything for your engine rebuild, (assuming it is still has the 77mm pistons and the 113 101 373b heads).

Casey
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Mate, after working so many 14 hour shifts you need to come home and have a rest. Can't keep working on your car all the time.You'll put all the rest of us slack-asses to shame.

Seriously. Keep up the good work. Very Happy

Cheers mate!! I've actually been replacing heater channels on a 70 bug for a local classic VW shop that my friend owns, after my normal job....which I'm almost done with, and I can apply what I learned to the body of this here 66....but it's been a tough few weeks for sure!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
Looks to be a factory rebuilt engine with the X stamped after the engine number.
Is there a P stamped by the case seam? That means the case halves were planed and line bored to standard size. I have a few sets of 1300 pistons and cylinders, 1300 intake and exhaust valves if you need anything for your engine rebuild, (assuming it is still has the 77mm pistons and the 113 101 373b heads).

Casey

That's super interesting Casey - I would have never known that. Thanks for sharing that info with me. So I'm assuming then, a customer with a sick engine would have that replaced under warranty and the sick engine sent to be rebuilt at VW? Or would they then throw the original (and now rebuilt) engine back in the original car once it arrived back from rebuild? I always wonder the process.

As for the P stamped on the case seam...this case is in bad shape as it sat in a bog for so long, I can't make out any stamping by the seam yet but I'll sure look long and hard. And thank you for the offer of engine parts, I'm very grateful - I'll hit you up should I fall short on anything, cheers brother!!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Oh, and just for the sake of my "build thread" so I don't forget any stage on this car, I picked up heater cables and an accelerator cable today also.

Next is to finish the front brakes, I'll be grabbing wheel cylinders this week. Then have the old tires removed, so I can use my dope-ass new-to-me sandblaster on the rims then paint them, and add new tires. Put the car on the ground, install pedal assembly and do the brake bleed procedure.

I do, as viiking suggested, need a rest.

G'night for now.

G
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

After my Friday evening shift at VGM, I managed to get a great deal on some new wheel cylinders for the fronts.

...and the spring under the pedal assembly as well.
Rear wheel cylinders are a little harder to find around here, so I'll track some of those down soon.

Also, the guv'ner at VGM sent me a pic that showed up in his facebook feed today, of me being...well, me I guess. I smiled as I have not seen that pic in years!

More tomorrow!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Today, Mar 30, was a productive day as I had a little extra time from getting home early from work.

I'm pretty sure the running board is toast.

This bug has pop-outs. I know some people go crazy for these. Me personally, I don't care either way. I've talked to people who have them and they all quietly admit they leak when it rains. But if these are original then they will stay.

The window seals are all brittle. So brittle that I can just break bits off with pliers.

I removed the rear window.

There wasn't any rust around the opening, except for this tiny section which doesn't worry me...

Tearing down is fun. I love finding cool old stuff. This bug, however, doesn't have any cool old stuff. Instead, it has rust. Lots of rust. Here's some, which announced itself when I tried to unbolt the seat belts from their mountings

A little clean up made it easier to see the full extent. It also made it easier to see flashes of the original red interior. This red vinyl was so brittle it almost crumbled to dust.

Rolled the car back, swept up a bit

Removed the windshield, for once without breaking it...

and then last of all today, removed the steering wheel, which had the horn ring snapped off as most of them do...

I was expecting serious decay under the cover, but...

That'll do for today. In a few days I'll aim to have the door gaps adjusted before the body is braced, the body-to-pan bolts removed/broken off, and some kind of saw-horse extravaganza built to sit the body on. That's the plan. Thanks guys see ya later!

Hang on to that brake boot, it is definitely different from a 65 and below
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Bump
Any progress mate?
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
Bump
Any progress mate?

Last he posted he had some family things to work out. So if he still has this car I would believe it is on the backburner for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: