Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare parts
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
the seals were never installed on most campers afaik. for sure after 75 there were not installed.

Agreed. My 79 is super original, and it doesn't have them. All the ones I've heard of were on pre 71 models.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have one for ya. In my first bus (69) I had those and they had overspray on them and they looked like crap so I threw them away even though the overspray sort of scraped off. I figured I would just get an aftermarket replacement. Now that I know.... They would have cleaned right up with a magic eraser and everyone else would want them. Rolling Eyes

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Just wanted to show you guys what I grabbed out of my '69 Westy before I traded it for a '69 Square....I've owned, sold, and parted out a lot of Buses. This is the first set I have ever seen. They will be going into my '79 Westy when it gets reassembled after paint. For now, they lay stashed away waiting to be put on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have one of those rubber trim-seals, in my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental, obtained for me by an e-mail pen-pal in California.

regards.

Nigel A. skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Louvered window gasket Reply with quote

I have a set of these. I pulled them out of an early bay with louvered windows in a junkyard about 15 years ago. I remember seeing them and being surprised at not being familiar with them as I had been a bus-head for 10 years at that time, now 25 years. Always was looking for a US spec trip speedo, but haven't seen one yet.

I'm finally getting a converted Eurospec trip speedo. Eur 100- shipped from Spain to me, plus $190- to N. Hollywood Speedometer for the odometer Km to Mile conversion and reset to 244K and change. I'll post pics once I have the finished product. Not a true US Spec trip speedo, but the only difference in the end result should be the part # on back. Very Happy Wink

Maybe $300- plus into it, but cheap compared to a timer/clock I guess.
rlr147e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Seals Reply with quote

Sure, as far as I know they were only on very early vans, as the guy said, if al vans had them there would be more around, I think it was maybe 68-69 and maybe 70.
I have them on my van and think I have a spare or maybe even a couple, will check out what I have.

Ron

England
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '69 Westy had them - sure wish I had saved them now!!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited, parts sold.

Last edited by hazetguy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 am; edited 4 times in total
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get my hands on these, I might just have to scrape together the cash and pick them up. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these just popped up in the classifieds for a good price, shipping is even included. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=751011
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
these just popped up in the classifieds for a good price, shipping is even included. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=751011

hmmm, those would look good in my pile of random rare baywindow parts that I don't really need but buy anyway. Hell, it wouldn't be the first thing Nick has contributed to that pile either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

Aside from the nice grey seals, what is the alternative border/frame/seal to eliminate this look?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

There are repros available...I forget which vendor but I tried a set years ago, and sadly they just would not stay on the window frame and so I fully removed them. A shame because they really cleaned up the look on the inside.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

I was actually going to look for some sort of foam weatherstripping that might fit in there - seems there should be something out there that would work.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I was actually going to look for some sort of foam weatherstripping that might fit in there - seems there should be something out there that would work.

I was thinking about FRP molding strips, but they would not likely have the width.

I also considered would molding with a rubbered edging applied… or maybe something found in the fabric section of Hobby Lobby.

Any way about it will require creativity.

There is this offering which might be what DougB refers to:

https://www.busdepot.com/231069412
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

This fellow Sambanista has repro's for sale.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2006793

The "originals" (if installed) may have been gray....these are black

I (second owner) purchased my 71 Tintop Westphalia in 1977 and it did not have these seals
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

you might contact Werksberg to see if he could cut some out of ABS.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=werksberg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38954
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

I like that rubber seal, and was thinking about relieving the stress on them around the corners of the aluminum frame by changing the mitered frame to radius.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

My family bought a used ‘70 Westy from the Dealer in ‘74, and it didn’t have them. I bought a ‘70 Westy in ‘79 and it didn’t have them. My ‘71 doesn’t have them either (though I have since found one).

My theory is that they came off accidentally and people just tossed them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

static wrote:
My family bought a used ‘70 Westy from the Dealer in ‘74, and it didn’t have them. I bought a ‘70 Westy in ‘79 and it didn’t have them. My ‘71 doesn’t have them either (though I have since found one).

My theory is that they came off accidentally and people just tossed them.

giant rubber band game the kids played and destroyed them...
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare parts Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
There are repros available...I forget which vendor but I tried a set years ago, and sadly they just would not stay on the window frame and so I fully removed them. A shame because they really cleaned up the look on the inside.

Even the OG ones fall off along the bottom. Some clear low duty adhesive applied to the edge of the louvered window all the way around would help tremendously

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: