Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I’m trying to replace the stock fuel pump with a alternator style pump. As I was removing the spacer that the shaft rides in the tube broke. Am I boned?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

You can make a little slide hammer to remove it, out of a bolt or screw. Get one that has a head diameter a little bigger that the hole. I'm just guessing, but around 6" long. Then grind or cut off part of the bolt's head so it only sticks out on one side. Then just put a heavy socket, flat washer and a nut on the bolt, and you have a little slide hammer, that will hook on the bottom of the broken piece and pull it up. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

This method might work ...

Link

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I found a video on the site (I searched after I posted…I know, I know…) & he showed how to thread a tap down the n there & then thread a bolt to get it out. Disaster averted…
BTW, for future reference, he said that if some pieces break off & fall into the case they’ll probably drain out with the next oil change or the engine will chew them up.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
I’m trying to replace the stock fuel pump with a alternator style pump.

Hammerhead69 wrote:
BTW, for future reference, he said that if some pieces break off & fall into the case they’ll probably drain out with the next oil change or the engine will chew them up.

BTW, one does not need to remove/replace the fuel pump plastic flange to change to an alternator-style slanted pump, just the steel pushrod.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Here's another interesting video about the fuel pump spacer. It's a different topic, but still relevant to what you're doing ...

Link

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
BTW, one does not need to remove/replace the fuel pump plastic flange to change to an alternator-style slanted pump, just the steel pushrod.

Yeah I kinda regret messing with it. I thought I could just take it out & replace the gasket under it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
I thought I could just take it out & replace the gasket under it.

That's what I thought on mine, like 2 decades ago, was trying to stop some oil seepage, but wasn't actually coming from there; thought it would be a 10 minute task....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: