Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp beetle to bus muffler conversion??
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: 36hp beetle to bus muffler conversion?? Reply with quote

It seems that finding an 36hp bus muffler in nos or good shape is drastically harder and more expensive than finding a beetle one. Is it as simple as just welding up the one exhaust output on a beetle muffler and welding the tab for the bus tailpipe?

Is the right tailpipe even in the same spot on a beetle muffler as a bus muffler?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp beetle to bus muffler conversion?? Reply with quote

From a search for "36 HP muffler" with "Search Titles Only" box checked marked:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92470&highlight=36+hp+muffler
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp beetle to bus muffler conversion?? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
From a search for "36 HP muffler" with "Search Titles Only" box checked marked:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92470&highlight=36+hp+muffler

I know Everett said they're different inside, but has anyone got photographic proof of that?

This cutaway beetle engine has a muffler that seems fundamentally the same as a 1600 bus one that I cut up a couple of years ago.

36hp beetle...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1600 bus...

And this youtube video of a rusted out late-model beetle exhaust seems pretty much the same as the bus one..

Link

Basically, the exhaust ports enter at either end in to small chambers. Perforated baffles separate those chambers at each end from the centre section.

A perforated balancing tube (there were two in the 1600 that I dissected) links the two end sections together.

Gases appear to flow equally from the baffled end sections as well as from the balancing tube(s) in to the open centre section.

The tail pipe(s) exit from the open centre section. They're not connected directly in to any of the pipes inside the open centre chamber and there doesn't appear to be anything directing the exhaust gases once they're in the centre section.

I can't see a reason to think that the inside of a single tailpipe 36hp system would be different to a twin-tailpipe one (?).

Although the pictures above are of exhausts from different capacity engines, their layout seems to suggest that bus and beetle systems are essentially the same inside.

So long as the cross sectional area of the twin tailpipes on a beetle system is roughly the same as the single tail pipe of a bus system, they'd flow just the same with the same internals.

But are there any like-for-like cutaway images to proove either way?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp beetle to bus muffler conversion?? Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the info. I think I might give a shot at plugging one up.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp beetle to bus muffler conversion?? Reply with quote

The pipe on a bus muffle comes out lower than the pipes on a bug muffler. So you need to plug both bug outlets, and put a new lower outlet for the bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: