Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thinking about selling my 67 Alabama Camper. If I decide to sell, is this site the best place to advertise?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
Thinking about selling my 67 Alabama Camper. If I decide to sell, is this site the best place to advertise?

Here and BAT (bringatrailer) are probably both good places to sell these days.

There's a BAT thread, a good place to see where things are selling:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752041

Good luck with the sale!
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Michaelfind wrote:

Here and BAT (bringatrailer) are probably both good places to sell these days.

There's a BAT thread, a good place to see where things are selling:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752041

Good luck with the sale!

Thank you
Grillaise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

I bought my camper back in 2006 off of the Samba. I always thought it was an EZ Camper. I stumbled upon this thread today and your interior is identical to mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Grillaise wrote:
I bought my camper back in 2006 off of the Samba. I always thought it was an EZ Camper. I stumbled upon this thread today and your interior is identical to mine.

That is so cool, your interior looks really clean! That original flooring is in great shape. Hopefully you have the icebox door? Do you happen to have the tent for it? Another Alabama Camper identified! Thanks for posting it here!!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Grillaise wrote:

Any more pics of it? Exterior pics ?
Grillaise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

The camper started out as a dove blue 1965 Kombi. Before the previous owner acquired it, it was repainted a blue color. Since the OG paint was long gone I got it repainted velvet green/ blue white. I don’t have the tent and I have an icebox door, but I’m not sure if it is correct. You can see in the one picture that the plywood actually has the date stamped on it. If you want to see any other specific pictures let me know! Thanks for helping me solve the mystery of what kin of camper I have!

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Grillaise wrote:
The camper started out as a dove blue 1965 Kombi. Before the previous owner acquired it, it was repainted a blue color. Since the OG paint was long gone I got it repainted velvet green/ blue white. I don’t have the tent and I have an icebox door, but I’m not sure if it is correct. You can see in the one picture that the plywood actually has the date stamped on it. If you want to see any other specific pictures let me know! Thanks for helping me solve the mystery of what kin of camper I have!

Your bus looks great!! I'm partial to that color combo, I have a 65' Westy Blu-White over Velvet Green. Glad you found this thread, thanks for posting!
Grillaise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Any idea what kind of icebox was originally in these campers? Also, do you have a source for replacement window hardware? Several of my cranks no longer work.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Grillaise wrote:
Any idea what kind of icebox was originally in these campers? Also, do you have a source for replacement window hardware? Several of my cranks no longer work.

I never could find any maker mark on the icebox, but if you look at the pictures below and compare them, they are different. There were some small changes on these campers throughout the years from what I have seen. Look at the back splash on the "sink" area, yours is much shorter because your icebox is taller, and the drawer on yours is shorter as well. Mine was torquoise inside too. Also different due to walkthru vs non-walkthru.

I had to repair a few of my windows also. I ended up buying these:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Window-Hardware-Window-Operators/Jalousie/N-5yc1vZc9byZ1z1b0jn

I had a buddy cut some new correct arms for the crank and cut/weld them to the new operators. There may be a better option out there now, not sure..

Last edited by oakman on Wed May 25, 2022 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Grillaise wrote:
Any idea what kind of icebox was originally in these campers?

Looking at the early brochure from 63', it looks like it may have the same icebox that yours has. Paint looks the same, and I think I see the handle in the right place..

Does the door fit? If so, then I would say it's the right one. I see the tag says Mobilaire.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

In your pictures, I see the door pin, I think, in a holder on a short chain near the "sink." That is probably for your ice box door. Mine is like Oakman's but still has the label on it as well. It is upside down. All that I've seen, in person or photos have the door upside down. I guess that's how it fit with the parts they had available?

The name on the label is Meynell, with "Erie Penna." beneath it.

I really like that your door pin is on a chain fastened to the cabinet. My father tied ours to handle with a short strip of leather so it would not get lost but I suspect yours is the original set up.

Very nice camper! thank you for posting pictures for us.

Below are some pictures of my ice box door:

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
In your pictures, I see the door pin, I think, in a holder on a short chain near the "sink." That is probably for your ice box door.

I really like that your door pin is on a chain fastened to the cabinet. My father tied ours to handle with a short strip of leather so it would not get lost but I suspect yours is the original set up.

My icebox had an empty rivet right behind where the pin goes, on the frame of the opening (not the door). I'm positive it had a chain with the pin attatched.

Is there a rivet with nothing attatched in that spot on yours?

Kind of looks like it beneath the leather string?
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Michaelfind wrote:
In your pictures, I see the door pin, I think, in a holder on a short chain near the "sink." That is probably for your ice box door.

My icebox had an empty rivet right behind where the pin goes, on the frame of the opening (not the door). I'm positive it had a chain with the pin attatched.

I will check. If there is, I'll move things out of the way and post another picture. That would make more sense to have it located there.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

[quote="Michaelfind"]
oakman wrote:
Michaelfind wrote:

Good eye! I believe you are correct. I finally got some pictures and there is a rivet with just enough space beneath the head for a retaining chain. It matches the rivets that hold the pin plate to the door frame. Now, I will try to figure out how to reproduce their original idea there. Thanks for pointing that out!

Pics below:

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:

Good eye! I believe you are correct. I finally got some pictures and there is a rivet with just enough space beneath the head for a retaining chain. It matches the rivets that hold the pin plate to the door frame. Now, I will try to figure out how to reproduce their original idea there. Thanks for pointing that out!

Right on!

I'm pretty sure they used a small flat-link metal chain to hold the pin for the icebox, but I obviously can't confirm this. There was a small piece in my bus that easily could have been the remnant of it.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Michaelfind wrote:

Right on!

I'm pretty sure they used a small flat-link metal chain to hold the pin for the icebox, but I obviously can't confirm this. There was a small piece in my bus that easily could have been the remnant of it.

If I can get back into my three year old mind, it almost seems like it was flat links folded one over the next to attach it. I'd forgotten that detail until you mentioned flat-link. If only my super 8 films were more crisp footage, I could probably zoom in and see it in a frame.
Grillaise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Well, I can’t believe it, but I think I actually have the tent material. No poles, but I’m pretty sure this is the tent. I’ve had it the whole time, but never realized what it was. It had curtains that I don’t think are original so I never really looked at the tent Rolling Eyes
camhead39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

I have all the seats for an Alabama camper in original cover material in black. Non walk thru. Does not enclude front or passenger seats
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Realizing now that one of the old VW vans I bought for parts then re-sold what was left back about 1992 was an Alabama Camper. The hinges, door knob and aluminum trim on the hanging clothes cabinet, and the plywood hinge system and aluminum legs of the folding bed was the dead give away. I kept the folding rear seat/bed system and the hanging clothes cabinet. Installed it in my 66 Microbus and enjoyed it for several years. Took it all out years ago, stored it away and someone temporarily removed the cabinet from storage and left it out to be rained on before putting it back in storage. So now, other than the hardware, what was left of the paneling was my pattern to re-create the cabinet. I've got most of the pieces cut out and partially assembled, sure would be nice to see how the closing panel at the rear of the cabinet fits and any details of the ceiling of the cabinet. Anyone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: