Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first? Reply with quote

Sprayed my car this weekend (first time painting). Learned that heavy application resulted in much smoother finish, but I was having issues with gun that resulted in orange peel. I think I have gun issues resolved, and have paint/car set up to lay a heavy final coat on the main body panel.

Do I need to sand that orange peel, or will a heavy second coat cover it pretty well?

Single stage enamel, plenty of CFM.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first? Reply with quote

Sand it smooth
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first? Reply with quote

How many coats of paint did you apply, or more specifically, how thick is the paint on the car? Orange peel is to be expected, even brand new cars have a certain degree of orange peel, even painted by robots.
The key is to lay down enough paint so you can cut and buff, and still have enough paint left. I think you could put the gun down and use a paint roller, or paint brush and as long as you put enough paint down, cut and buff and nobody would be able to tell. It would be a lot or work to clean up a messy paint brush job, but its possible.Previous post is correct if there is enough paint. If you burn through to primer, then you will need to spray more.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first? Reply with quote

I started sanding just to be safe, and kept going lower, and lower, and lower. Went all the way to 150 before I really felt like I was knocking things down/smooth. And there were some places where I got through to my sealer/primer. I don't think I needed to sand, a heavy coat would/did cover.

I foolishly thought the 600 ml of paint I had left would do it, nope. Also watched some youtube videos that basically said to put it on heavy for a wet/glossy finish, and don't worry about runs, because runs can be corrected easier than a dry-look/orange peel. So that's what I tried to do. Not bad, a few runs, but only got 1/3 of the car done. Waiting on another gallon of paint and will lay it on heavy again when I start back up, but try to keep it in the sweet spot so it doesn't run.

Also added a bit of slow reducer, as that was advised to get more of a wet look and flow, and painting in 80° Texas heat.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first? Reply with quote

Infidel wrote:
I started sanding just to be safe, and kept going lower, and lower, and lower. Went all the way to 150 before I really felt like I was knocking things down/smooth. And there were some places where I got through to my sealer/primer. I don't think I needed to sand, a heavy coat would/did cover.

I foolishly thought the 600 ml of paint I had left would do it, nope. Also watched some youtube videos that basically said to put it on heavy for a wet/glossy finish, and don't worry about runs, because runs can be corrected easier than a dry-look/orange peel. So that's what I tried to do. Not bad, a few runs, but only got 1/3 of the car done. Waiting on another gallon of paint and will lay it on heavy again when I start back up, but try to keep it in the sweet spot so it doesn't run.

Also added a bit of slow reducer, as that was advised to get more of a wet look and flow, and painting in 80° Texas heat.

Runs will often leave a shadow after sanding I believe from air bubbles that form and get trapped as the paint dries. I try to avoid any runs in my first two coats so if one forms after I can sand the shadows out.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can I put second coat to address the orange peel from first? Reply with quote

Ideally you would sand down what's on there now, at least to knock down the major high spots. The orange peel will make the topcoat film thickness vary quite a bit which would be an issue when/if you do any sanding on that coat.. you'll start to see the orange peel crowns as you sand.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: