Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I have a few spare lever shocks if you need to replace the damaged one. Let me know.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I want to media blast the front beam and not clean out all the grease. 3D printed some plugs. They are slightly tapered so takes a couple hits to set them. They go in the bushings.

Uploaded files to Grabcad. https://grabcad.com/library/vw-front-beam-torsion-tube-plugs-1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Great caps.
Understanding completely what you do as I have literally restored and blasted dozens of early VW axles. and it certainly is a super dirty job, especially when the bearings are still tight and don't need replacing. You just want to clean out all the old goo.

But , from my experience, I strongly recommend removing as much as possible of the old grease. Especially when a vehicle has been sitting in the woods or scrapyard. The old grease after 7 decades more or less turns to soap or paraffine, and the lubrication might be on the edge. just saying.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

from my experience, I strongly recommend removing as much as possible of the old grease. Especially when a vehicle has been sitting in the woods or scrapyard. The old grease after 7 decades more or less turns to soap or paraffine, and the lubrication might be on the edge. just saying.

I plan to clean out the bushings and grease between them but whats in the center can stay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Decided to go with 55-63 brakes on the front. Also going to modify the spindles to work on the BD.

Pulled a 61 beam apart and was pleased to find excellent drums, backing plates and link pins, king pins. Well the king pins feel great anyway.

Plan to disassemble the spindles, cut the arm off and make a jig to hold arm in correct position for a BD. I will then have them professionally welded.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

King pins apart.

I didn't have a correct size rod so 3D printed a sleeve. Worked perfectly. Maxed out the 12t press on both and needed some heat to get them apart. Was not the most stable setup but worked.

Bushings are in great shape so will just need seals.

I will cut the arm off the spindles and have them welded back in correct position for a BD.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Removed the master cylinder. Was surprised to find the tank is in great shape but the cap has had some bad times. I have a rusted tank somewhere and think it has a good cover...

Screen has some holes in it. May just remove it when I install on a good master cylinder. Don't think the switch is savable as it is rusted quite bad

Managed to save some adjusters and 4 good springs. Also a good brake line to copy for the 55-63 brakes.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Removed the cables from petals. Was easier from top so removed cover. Cover has all the details so I can build a new one. Looks like the cover was originally black. I was thinking they were body color

Petals are all free. I may try to remove the rod but looks like a pain to remove the clip. I could just wait untill I start doing the metal work.

BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

If this helps any, I did this mod years back on my 53. It was crude at the time, but effective. Many miles put on this set up without an issue. If I did it again I would just do a cleaner job.
Using 55-63 drop spindles , I made a riser to relocate the tie rods to original locations. It was maybe 1/2 or maybe thicker steel plate, welded together. A bolt running through the tie rod hole on the arm and the riser then tacked to that arm once things added up location wise. Worked great.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
If this helps any, I did this mod years back on my 53. It was crude at the time, but effective. Many miles put on this set up without an issue.

I will be at stock height so needs a 6" rise. That would be a lot of torsional stress on the arm. Moving the arm to upper loop will be a lot stronger and look stockish. It was going to just do a temporary mod until I find correct spindles. Now that I will be using newer brakes it will probably be a good permanent solution.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Been getting lots of stuff blasted and ready to paint.

Front drums cleaned up and painted inside. I will get then turned this week. Hopefully the place I used 6 years ago is still doing them.

I also notices I need to clean some stuff out of my car. No idea why there is an old flywheel back there. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Assembled the shift rod. Mine was rusted through in a few spots.

Saved the ends and found some 7/8" tube. It is a little larger at 22.22 mm compared to 22mm original. Also has a slightly smaller ID. Used a stone in a drill to thin it enough for the ends to tap in.

Drilled into each end and plug welded.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Tried another run at the black oxide. This time I used old motor oil as a sealer. Found a few using old oil with good results. I did try some with WD40 but didn't feel they were as good.

After the black oxide treatment I rinsed in water and hand dried. Then placed in warm oven for a few minuets to fully dry before putting in oil. I think last time I didn't get them dry enough before placing in sealer.

Left the parts in the oil over night and after wiping them off they look great. Once the oil fully dries they will loose the shine and should look close to original and have ok rust resistance.

Going through my stash of old VW fasteners and have found most of what I need in good condition. May need to resort to the hardware store for some and source correct ones later.

frikendelicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I believe it is important to use old oil used in a Diesel engine for the best result.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

frikendelicious wrote:
I believe it is important to use old oil used in a Diesel engine for the best result.

Thanks. I haven't heard that. Did some searching and couldn't find much on using old oil and no mention of diesel. I wonder what the difference would be in the oil?

I will try to do some more research before doing the next batch. I can get some oil from a diesel anyway.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Finally got the beam blasted. Couldn't get a good job in the cabinet so had to make a mess. The big fans keep the dust down anyway.

Layed out some parts that need painting. Most just need a quick sand but some need a few layers of primer and sanding first.

Still need to find measurements of BD spindles so I can modify my newer ones. Also need to spin the rims to make sure they are perfect before painting. Just going to paint them black for now and will add color when the body gets painted.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

55-63 spindles cut and positioned for welding. Thanks to BeaterBarndoor for the measurements Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=767815

I switched arms between sides to get the offset in correct direction. It may be off a little but won't make any difference. I will need to ream the hole to allow the tierod to go in from top. I may also just put them in from the bottom for now.

Edit: I mistakenly thought the arms offset down on the barndoor... I will switch them back to the original sides and space them off the jig. That will eliminate the tierod issue. Smile

Seams to be a good quality cast steel. I will do some experimenting with the extra bits to see if I can get a strong weld. Should be ok with pre heat.

Last edited by sgellis on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
55-63 spindles cut and positioned for welding. Thanks to BeaterBarndoor for the measurements Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=767815

I switched arms between sides to get the offset in correct direction. It may be off a little but won't make any difference.

Seams to be a good quality cast steel. I will do some experimenting with the extra bits to see if I can get a strong weld. Should be ok with pre heat.

Eager to see how this pans out
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Spindles welded. Went better than expected.

Started by doing a 1/4" long weld on the scrap. welder set at full power with the line feed a little low. I use pure argon and quite high flow. Put test part in vice and and hammered on it. Finally broke in the weld. I wanted to make sure it wasn't crystallizing the original cast steel.

Then did a quick weld around the scrap with them tight together. Put in the press with the safety guard in place and maxed out the 12 ton press. I figure if the arm sees 12 ton then I have more importing things to worry about than a broken spindle.

Ground away some of the arms to get full weld penetration. Placed sockets in the bushings so they wouldn't get splatter in them.

Came out great and have no concerns at all about the strength. I do have to add a bit more weld on low power where I ate into the sealing surface a bit. At full power the welder likes to liquidize everything very quickly.

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Well done, it looks like it was a success
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: