Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Surging when in lower gears
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

I have a stock 1970 beetle. 1600, pict34 carb, SVDA points distributor. Car runs and idles great, except there is a surging when I am driving in 1st or second gear. I assume it is just because of the low gearing I can feel the surging then. Was wondering if this is normal, or should I be looking for something. Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Check transaxle mounts are not broken or loose. If shifter moves around like it is possessed when surging or suddenly accelerating or decelerating, that is a good sign of bad or loose mounts.
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Mounts are new and tight. There is no movement of the shifter when the surging is going on. Thanks for suggestion.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

What kind of mounts? If you used urethane mounts, they probably failed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Check the clutch bowden tube. It needs a specific amount of bend in the tube to prevent changes in the clutch as the engine/transmission flex in their mounts. It seems like a small thing but can produce a noticeable issue.

Found this in the gallery:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other thing I would also check is a clogged fuel filter or fuel line. Does the surging get worse at higher rpms in the same gear?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
geekpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Hello. I have a very similar issue. At low RPM in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, the car surges to the point of shuddering. The bowden tube seems fine. I recently had the engine out to fix a leak in the oil cooler. Before taking the engine out, it never surged. After putting the engine back in, on its first drive, it surged as described above.

I read that it could be poor ignition. I had noticed some jitteriness in the timing using a timing gun - the marks on the pulley would jerk around a little under the timing gun. I replaced the coil and distributor with a Flamethrower coil and a Pertronix distributor. The jerkiness of the marks on the pulley are no more.

But the car still surges as above.

I did notice that I can put the car in second, put a foot on the brake, take my foot off the clutch and add a little power and the car doesn't immediately die. In fact it will chug along for about 20 seconds before stopping. So there seems to be something wrong in the clutch area.

But it seems strange that it worked fine before taking the engine out. And now, after putting the engine back in it has developed this problem.

Any thoughts to what the issue might be?

I should mention - here it comes - that while this is a 1600 VW Beetle engine setup almost identically to an early 1970s beetle, the engine is inside of a 1983 VW Gol (Brazilian car similar to a Fox or Dasher). But the drivetrain (though reversed because it's in the front of the car) is very similar.

Also, I recently rebuilt the engine from the block up and it ran perfectly for several months before I fixed the oil leak from the leaking oil cooler (the reason for pulling the engine).

Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

If it is not the afore mentioned transaxle mounts, then either electrical or fuel. Do you have the factory style terminals or the cheap junk replacement ones that are crimped onto the wire with nothing more than a pair of pliers?
geekpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is not the afore mentioned transaxle mounts, then either electrical or fuel. Do you have the factory style terminals or the cheap junk replacement ones that are crimped onto the wire with nothing more than a pair of pliers?

Were you responding to me? If so, I'm sorry, I don't know what you're referring to about the factory style terminals? On the coil?

And the transaxle mounts are in very good condition and I have a brand new fuel pump that was installed during the engine rebuild. I suppose it's possible that the fuel pump has gone bad, but it seems odd that this would coincide with having the engine out.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Your clutch is slipping. There should be no way to put it in gear and not stall the engine while stationary. Adjust the clutch. You have too much preload. Loosen the adjuster.
geekpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Thank you Pruneman99. I'll take a look at how to adjust the clutch and see if that makes any difference. Is it normal to have to adjust the clutch after taking the engine out and then in again?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

geekpower wrote:
Thank you Pruneman99. I'll take a look at how to adjust the clutch and see if that makes any difference. Is it normal to have to adjust the clutch after taking the engine out and then in again?

Maybe. Since it was a rebuild, the distances from the flywheel to clutch could have changed? Make sure the cable isn't routed incorrectly or fouled by something. But it really sounds like the clutch isn't getting full clamping. Hopefully it's not oil fouled. I'd try backing off the wing nut some if it looks the same as the picture above. I'm not familiar with how the Gul is set up, but I'd assume it's similar.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

geekpower wrote:

Were you responding to me? If so, I'm sorry, I don't know what you're referring to about the factory style terminals? On the coil?

And the transaxle mounts are in very good condition and I have a brand new fuel pump that was installed during the engine rebuild. I suppose it's possible that the fuel pump has gone bad, but it seems odd that this would coincide with having the engine out.

Yes, anywhere in the wiring to the ignition. Met a fellow out at a VW meet who was having the engine cut out at times. Looked at the coil with the junk replacement terminals, tugged lightly on the positive wire from the ignition. Wire fell out of the junk terminal, fellow VW owner was mouth open agast....
geekpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, anywhere in the wiring to the ignition. Met a fellow out at a VW meet who was having the engine cut out at times. Looked at the coil with the junk replacement terminals, tugged lightly on the positive wire from the ignition. Wire fell out of the junk terminal, fellow VW owner was mouth open agast....

Ahhh, I see. I don't think that's my issue here. The problem existed prior to changing out the coil and distributor for quality versions of both. The terminals are excellent and all the wiring is new. Prior to making this change I would see a lot of jitter using a timing light when looking at the markings on my pulley while adjusting the distributor's position. After the change the markings are rock-solid and the engine runs quite well at all RPM.

But it lurches and bucks like a crazy thing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears at constant speed (not during acceleration at all).
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

When did you last change the fuel filter?

Take a look at the fuel line for kinking.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
geekpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Quote:
When did you last change the fuel filter?

The VW has a new fuel filter and it's clean. The engine seems to be getting plenty of fuel.

This morning I discovered that the clutch arm on the transmission was hitting the top of the engine cover (fan shroud) when it is "resting" (clutch closed). So it seems that the clutch arm can't go all the way down to its original resting position. This makes sense now. I replaced the gaskets on the oil cooler which made the oil cooler sit just a little higher than normal. The oil cooler now presses against the engine cover pushing it up a little. This small change doesn't allow the clutch arm to return to its fully down position. So the clutch is always slightly open resulting in it slipping while driving.

Now the bad part. In attempting to fix this, I loosened the clutch arm to raise it up just enough to no longer rest on the engine shroud. I raised it about 1/8" and then took up this slack in the clutch pedal.

However, now when I press the clutch pedal, there is almost no pressure. And, I can now lift the clutch arm with my fingers 1-2 inches before it won't move any more. Previously I could not lift the clutch arm at all.

So by loosening the bolt that tightens the clutch arm around the shaft that goes into the transmission, did I break something?

Thank you to all who have been helping in this crazy saga.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Something sounds wrong with the indexing of the arm. They are one position only installs, but they will go on backwards.

Is the arm on backwards? Seen it one time.

Picture?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
geekpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Surging when in lower gears Reply with quote

Quote:
Something sounds wrong with the indexing of the arm. They are one position only installs, but they will go on backwards.

Thank you for your help. I think it could be something wrong with the indexing of the arm. However, the arm is not on backwards (see images). I did not remove the arm, simple loosened it, adjusted it upwards and retightened it.

The clutch worked prior to me making this adjustment, though it was hitting the top of the engine shroud and not allowing the clutch to fully engage.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: