Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Wait... I have an idea.

What if.... I placed a torqued case butt end to the table on the mill. center the main bores under quil, and then used a dial indicator to measure run out?

Would this be the most accurate method? Or is using a dial bore gauge and averaging numbers better?

Thanks

Short answer no
long answer....still MOSTLY no, but working to determine the diameter of half a hole could be a learning experience. it is possible, just. very difficult, and why it's difficult well is maybe something you just have to try to see for yourself.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Cam looks good, you can use that.
New set of web, or engle, or CB lightyweight lifters IF putting that cam in a different case......
If you HAD the case that cam and lifters came out of, then just put it right back in, looks great. Those are scat/web lifters

Don't idle and don't rev too high, keep the rpms IN THE MIDDLE of the rev range for the first 15 minutes. Not too fast, not too slow. Not too cold, not too hot. That's about it.
And use some good quality lube and oil.
calcium sulfonate complex assembly grease,
and engine oil that is recommended for flat tappet cams.

Awesome! thanks for the help. Yeah, i dont plan on using the old lifters, but I figured Id take them just in case.

Im thinking about polishing the cam lobes and removing the Phosphate coating. And for sure, im going to chamfer the edges. Even if it doesnt do anything, it makes me feel better Laughing

Im guessing "calcium sulfonate complex assembly grease" is or is like cam shield?

modok wrote:
Short answer no
long answer....still MOSTLY no, but working to determine the diameter of half a hole could be a learning experience. it is possible, just. very difficult, and why it's difficult well is maybe something you just have to try to see for yourself.

Maybe i will try it just for the experience Smile I guess if I really wanted to I would use the bore gauge and try to find consistent, matching results using the mill method.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

Your 86a will have 108 LSA, on anything other than 108 web would have stamped whatever the number is on the flange. Your cam is old before web went to their part# system where the part# would tell you what it is, but you have to call or email them for the info.

Dan
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Your 86a will have 108 LSA, on anything other than 108 web would have stamped whatever the number is on the flange. Your cam is old before web went to their part# system where the part# would tell you what it is, but you have to call or email them for the info.

Dan

Awesome thanks! 108 is exactly the number I was hoping for.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

I was finally allowed to open the package lol. Looks great. I'll be polishing the lobes tho jpaul style. Makes me feel better.
Thanks Mathew!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although... what should I do with the lifters? I will be running TP followers. Are these potentially useful in another build or trash?

P.S Mathew, do you have dogs? The cam smells like dog.

Edit- oh and yeah. 96 grams Shocked sounds like scat Laughing

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

Make a pen holder out of them…
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

Send to SLR I think he can resurface and coat them
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

A while back I saw a yt vid showing at roller tip rocker at high rpm. Can't find it now. Anyway, what surprised me was how fast the roller tip would rotate when the valve closed. Basically the valve stem is throwing the tip at high velocity and when the roller leaves the tip it has an induced high rpm. Then when the opening ramp arrives on the scene this rpm skids to a stop on the valve tip.

I DID find this interesting vid showing beehive springs in action.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/u5pRxGoh7nE
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

I find it interesting that one school of thought says you can’t re-use the matched and marked cam and lifters in a different case. The Bergs used to have a partial engine just for the purpose of breaking in your cam and lifters for you. I believe it was turned by an electric motor. They may still offer the service…
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: I present to you - A 2180cc build - shooting for the stars Reply with quote

I always remove the phosphate coatings from the lobes. I consider them abrasives - Laughing

I am old school micro-polishing fanatic. I use micro-finishing tapes used in the aircraft industry. I sent some tapes to a guy in Germany when I sold a lineborer. He loves them!

Micro-finishing tapes are not the same as regular sandpaper. YOu cannot rip them apart. It is like a tough belt make of some silk.

I use these tapes on the lobes and lifter bodies and heads.

I like the idea of running those VFR 800 TBIs. It is a real nice alternative to expensive WEBERS or DElls. Maybe even run the motorcyle coils and things. Lots of machining fabs - if you go that route. I am sure it is well worth it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: