Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Super Beetle Won't Start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelRecycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

I have a ’74 Super Beetle which runs great but has a quirk— sometimes it doesn’t start. I put in the key, turn it, and the oil lights turn on and the seatbelt buzzer buzzes. Nothing else. No other sounds. It seems completely random. Lasts for a few days, then all is normal for weeks until it happens again.

It reliably starts with a push-start when this happens. I thought it had to do with humidity and the old wiring, but that theory’s been disproven. It’s not the battery or the starter or the ignition switch— here are some things I’ve verified or checked:

- New Starter
- New ignition switch
- New battery
- Solenoid is good
- Seatbelt warning system has been disconnected.

Voltage looks good everywhere on the meter. Through trial and error I’m convinced there’s a loose connection somewhere. But where?

I’m a newbie, and this is my first Beetle. I’m learning as I go, but this one has me stumped. I’m hoping someone here has some advice. Here are some photos of my underseat compartment— what am I missing? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

Voltage regulator looks OK visually, its not your starting problem anyway.
- Those red larger gauge wires jammed together - they need insulated, and I can't really tell how they are mated. That should be the wire going from your ignition switch, to your starter solenoid.
- That wire with the short section of brown wire should go somewhere, unless its for your seatbelt warning.
You might be a good candidate for a hard start relay.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Last month my local VW mechanic fixed it by putting in a hard-start relay kit. Just type that in Goggle and many sources such as Appletree, J bugs. I think mechanic said also at local parts house. Totally fixed the issue. Located the relay under the back seat.
MichaelRecycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

Thanks, all.

A hot start relay was put in last fall, but the issue persists. I'm stumped. The unplugged wires in the photo are for the back defogger, which is disconnected. I've now cleaned and insulated all my terminals, but of course the issue stopped before I did it!

I guess only time will tell...
cricketseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

I had the same problem for years with my '74 Super thirty-something years ago in high school. I wish I could tell you how I eventually fixed it, but the sad truth is that I never did. (No internet back in those days, mind you, and neither my stepfather, my stepbrother, nor the local VW shop could figure it out.) I did get pretty handy at crawling up under it to short out the starter with a screwdriver. That worked every time, but it didn't exactly make me or my car any more attractive to the opposite sex. Now that I think of it, that car had a laundry list of problems that likely could have been fixed in a weekend if YouTube had been a thing back then. Good luck.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

Sounds like a cracked ignition switch. Common issue. And the bitch is that the aftermarket switches are horrible!

Good luck!

Oh, there are 2 parts to the ignition switch. There is the lock cylinder where the key enters and resides in, beyond that, on the front side of the assembly. (Front of the car, you are looking at the rear of the switch when sitting in the car) The electrical portion sits in the front spot. It all has to be disassembled to gain access, no short cuts!

Back side of the electrical section.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

Don’t want to get you to chase your tail, but if the problem is intermittent, and all of your connections in the circuit are clean and fit snuggly, take another look at the ignition switch, both electrically and mechanically.

Good Luck
olorin67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

My 74 love bug has similar issue, about one start in 25. I’ve tried jiggling ignition switch but that doesn’t have any affect. Several times I’ve gone in the house to get my wiring diagrams to have it start right up when I get back to the car. I’m thinking sticking relay maybe. Or maybe whatever was done to bypass the 74 seatbelt interlock isn’t making good contact. I’m going to put in a remote start button to help troubleshoot. And apply deoxit to every connection. Doesn’t seem to be sticking starter. And when it happens I don t get any relay clicks. For now I’m just careful where I park in case I need to push start it.

Last edited by olorin67 on Wed May 25, 2022 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
olorin67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

It looks like your electrical connections are fairly oxidized, might want to clean those up. Deoxit works well.
runscx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

I'm not saying this will solve your problem but I noticed if I limp wrist it when I turn the key it might not turn the crank for the engine to start and it will just make a hissy click sound.

If I turn it like I stole it that bad boy starts every time Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

Working the same issue right now on my 74 SB. I'm only getting 6ish volts to the starter when attempting to crank. Traced the red w/black tracer wire back under the dash through a connector then goes to behind the fuse block to a relay. When I turn the key still get 6v under the dash and I know the wire from the dash to under rear seat is good. Removed the relay from behind the fuse block, saw signs of rust on a few pins. Opened relay and found components appear ok but the circuit board they are all attached to is heavly corroded. I'm assuming this is my issue at this point and the ignition switch seems to test ok. Will attempt to clean up the board and test. Anyone have a source for replacement if needed?

'74 Superbeetle (Family owned since new)
'73 181 Thing (sold)
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

That looks like the Seat Belt Interlock Key Buzzer Relay. eBay has several for sale.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That looks like the Seat Belt Interlock Key Buzzer Relay. eBay has several for sale.

Correct. Can I just leave it out with out effecting anything else? My buzzer long stopped back in the 90s. I will just need to jump the two wires that go here correct?

'73 181 Thing (sold)
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

Installed a relay from Advance Auto as pictured in the hard start relay wiring diagram and the fixed my no start issue. Bypassed/eliminated the seatbelt starter buzzer/relay under the dash. Thanks for the input.

'73 181 Thing (sold)
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Won't Start Reply with quote

In '74 and some early '75 model year Beetles the Seat Belt Interlock relay interrupts the #50 starter solenoid circuit until all occupied seat belts are fastened. When the relay fails the circuit between the ignition switch and started solenoid can be left open so the starter no longer functions.

Remove the solenoid and test the "C" terminal on the relay bridge (not on the relay) for 12v while the key is in the START position. Test it 10x and make sure there is 12v each time. If this works fine, add a jumper wire between the C and 50 jacks on the relay bridge. This bypasses the Interlock relay and directly powers the starter solenoid (or hard start relay) from the ignition switch.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: