Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Thanks hopkin.

Yes, figured there was no up/down control. Any way to make them lower?

Yes, I know the adjustment wheel. It is NOT turning. Neither is the forward flip lever. How do I free them up?

Thanks

You may have to pull the fabric off and lube or whatever, definitely out of my wheelhouse, I'll tear an engine apart, but seats, forget it. The mechanism is the same as the late '70s cars, so maybe see if there are some videos.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Does any of you have a original AM/FM radio, AM/FM cassette player, or AM/FM Cd player you like to sell. It would be for a early 2000 model year. Thanks! Just thought it was worth asking.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Does any of you have a original AM/FM radio, AM/FM cassette player, or AM/FM Cd player you like to sell. It would be for a early 2000 model year. Thanks! Just thought it was worth asking.

Have a look on eBay, you should be able to easily find one. I paid $40 for this one a few years ago (sorry not for sale). There was no guarantee on the cassette portion.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I have, I’ll keep trying!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I decided last night to do a serious search. Came up with the Retro Becker

Mexico BE4337 CD player. It has the look I wanted, with CD. They came a lot of Mercedes & Porsche’s. But with the word Mexico on the front it fits.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
I decided last night to do a serious search. Came up with the Retro Becker

Mexico BE4337 CD player. It has the look I wanted, with CD. They came a lot of Mercedes & Porsche’s. But with the word Mexico on the front it fits.

Looks good, it should fit, the Mexican Beetle opening is a DIN1 (standard) size, slightly larger than the older German Beetle opening, which wasn't standard, although most DIN1 stereos will fit (in the older cars).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Diagnostic help

My 1600i has been driving nicely. I only recently got it. It seems to get better as time goes by.
Was driving home yesterday when I noticed the engine had shut off at speed. No warnings, no gasps, no funny noises. It suddenly wasn’t running. Coasted to the side of the road.

Starter cranks, but no sign of car starting. Nothing visually amiss in the engine bay. Gauge says I have 1/2 tank of gas (which is what I expected).

I had to have it towed. Any ideas on what to look for?

Thx.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Diagnostic help

My 1600i has been driving nicely. I only recently got it. It seems to get better as time goes by. Was driving home yesterday when I noticed the engine had shut off at speed. No warnings, no gasps, no funny noises. It suddenly wasn’t running. Coasted to the side of the road.

Starter cranks, but no sign of car starting. Nothing visually amiss in the engine bay. Gauge says I have 1/2 tank of gas (which is what I expected).

I had to have it towed. Any ideas on what to look for?

Thx.
.... did you rock the car to see if it has gas ...??? as some new gauges need a resistor to make sure it runs right ....took mine off my 74 and it works great...weird part it looks home made
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I’d filled up recently and saw the gauge was creeping down to 1/2. My 60s Bug can get the gauge needle twitching with a hard stop as the gas sloshes around. My 1600i seems to have a damped needle. It moves but it doesn’t oscillate. So, not sure, but I think it has gas. Other ideas/suggestions/theories appreciated. Thx
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Im working on restoring a 2002 mexican beetle that i recently brought up from Mexico City and in an effort to undue 20 years of “south of the border voodoo” I was hoping someone could tell me how the O2 sensor wire is routed from the exhaust system up through the engine tin. My wire has been passed through the hole where there fresh air tubes go and as I will be reconnecting the heating system I’m wanting the route the wire as it would have been done from the factory.

My major concern is that the wire seems to get awfully close to some of the exhaust components and I’m concerned about heat.

The first photo shows a bit of the voodoo I was talking about as you see the wire popping up through the fresh air tube hole on the right. The photos after that show a shot of the area involved from the passenger side and that is where I’m hoping someone could describe or post a similar photo of the route the wire takes.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

This is my 2002 location, there was more wires below the tin. The extra wire above the tin now, as you can see. I’m not running catalytic converter, I run the Sport muffler. The Catalyst converter would bubble the paint on the rear apron.
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:

This is my 2002 location, there was more wires below the tin. The extra wire above the tin now, as you can see. I’m not running catalytic converter, I run the Sport muffler. The Catalyst converter would bubble the paint on the rear apron.

Thanks for the photo! I’ll need to remount the connector holding bracket like you have in the pic.

I’m hoping that someone could post a photo or description of the routing of the O2 sensor wire below the engine tin.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Jmott76, it’s hard to get a picture of this area.
Remember I have sport muffler, I though the original muffler & cat. away when we moved from west coast to the east coast.
The O2 sensor comes out the top of the inlet pipe to the muffler, stays up against the body, about 5” & up though the grommet.

Hope this helps!
PS the heat shield should be covering the wires.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude beat me to punch, but I thought I'd post anyways. As he says, it's a hard area to get a good photo. I have the older O2 sensor, but it hooks up the same way. The wire has a small loop under the tin, radstute has a heat shield on his, I should probably put one on the next time I have then engine out.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

As you can see on HOPKINS, picture. His comes out the side, then stays high straight to the hole & though the grommet.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I found a picture I took when I had my engine out a few years ago, it shows the wire pretty much the same way it goes through the tin:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The angle is very similar & location, that’s good to know!

Thank Antonio!
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I found out why my 1600i stopped (see previous post). The coil overheated and melted through some wires. SomNO SPARK.

Poking around on parts sites brings up a LOT of ignition coils at different ohms and voltages. (Obviously 12V wanted).

So, what are the correct specs for a 1600i ignition coil? Any models recommend?

Eager to get back on the road.

Much thanks 😊
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks Hopkin and Radstude for the photos. I know it’s a bit of an tricky area to photograph so I definitely appreciate the pics that were posted and hope no one twisted their backs taking them. They’re exactly what I needed.

Thanks again everyone!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
I found out why my 1600i stopped (see previous post). The coil overheated and melted through some wires. SomNO SPARK.

Poking around on parts sites brings up a LOT of ignition coils at different ohms and voltages. (Obviously 12V wanted).

So, what are the correct specs for a 1600i ignition coil? Any models recommend?

Eager to get back on the road.

Much thanks 😊

Don't buy a cheap one, mine failed shortly after I bought the car (10 years) ago and I simply bought a cheap one on Amazon, it lasted about 2 or 3 months. Afterwards I bought a Temic from Antonio and haven't had any problems since then.

6N0905104 is the PN stamped on my coil. I did a quick search, ouch, some suppliers are not cheap.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 163 of 192

Jump to: