Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with old vw clutch arm?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachbumdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

i have an old roughly 1964 vw trike, the clutch is way to hard to press in anymore due to bad knees.....its just a cable from the foot pedal to the spring arm on the trans, my question is, can i cut the return spring on the shaft to the arm (that coil spring)? and replace it with a lighter spring since it is just a return spring right? i mean its got nothing to do with the clutch or pressure plate? or just any ideas how to make easier cause its getting to the point for me and my knees to shift it, and if i cant im afraid i`ll have to get rid of it and i really dont want to....so any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated thnx bb
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

That spring, while stiff, should be only a tiny amount of the force needed to release the clutch. I think you may have better luck changing the leverage. Depending on what arm you currently have the the transaxle there may be a longer one you can switch too. Another option would be to change in leverage at the front, with the clutch cable attaching loser to the pivot point there.

It should be possible to do a quick test without that spring connected by popping it off the release arm with a large screwdriver, but some return spring is needed long term so the throwout bearing won't lightly ride the pressure plate and constantly spin. You could get a feel for how much or little the effect is with a short test without it.
beachbumdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

ok thnx for that info, i thought about the leverage thing and making that arm longer (and still might) but that would change the angle alot and the bracket that holds the cable to the tranny would have to be changed to so maybe just maybe if theres enough room under seat i can try that we`ll see. thnx thou so far for ur input. bb oh and p.s where would i see or get if there is a longer arm for that already?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

Not aware of a longer arm other than fab it yourself. How about hydraulic slave cylinder? Repurpose a front brake lever and resivoir.
beachbumdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

ok i may be having a brain fart, (which i often do ) but if i put like an old goldwing, clutch lever and hydraulic reservoir thats brake fluid,how would i connect a brake fluid line to the clutch cable, what goes in between the 2 to pull the cable when the clutch lever is pulled in??? im sorry just dont know ive never done anything like that before. thnx in advance bb
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

Here is some information about the different lengths. If you have that 20mm shaft size there are 2 arms available, and I think that is the late model type and I suspect your transaxle is also a late type (looking at the pictures but not being as knowledgeable on later VW.)

If you go hydraulic clutch you need a slave cylinder that replaces the clutch cable assembly. I have done that -- here is a picture of mine.

Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

Not sure if you did replace the clutch arm return spring or not. I have a picture in my gallery which shows the difference in springs I bought. Not sure how to post the picture here. Maybe somebody can do it. Two of the springs have way too much pre tension. I did buy NOS springs which were also a lot easier to install and do put less pressure on that bushing also.

No lube on the cable inside the metal tube or a worn flex tube or too much bend in that flex part makes a difference too.

If you still have the old style pressure plate with the 6 or 9 coil springs you could replace it with a diaphragm style which is easier to operate.

Cutting the return spring will most likely not make a big difference.
beachbumdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

appreciate and the great ideas, ive decided to go with a hyrualic setup like in the picture above, i figured with my knees might as well so i can keep it for awhile but thnx really thou, those were all good suggestions, i`ll post pix after i get it done. thnx bb
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

Maybe U could put a electric/vaccine engauger unit from a semi auto VW transmission in ..It was electronic and when u touched the shifter unit the clutch would disengage the clutch leave the cable and u could release it slowly to move ..It sucks to get Old..I'm 75 myself so the clutch is sometimes a challenge on my 5 stick shift Vw's. Good Luck Bill
beachbumdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

i ended up doing a wilwood pull slave cylinder and then going with a tilton foot master cylinder cause a handclutch was way to hard on ur hand, now im waiting for a 3/16 inside diameter line, then i`ll hook all up and let u know Smile
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the results. Hope this works well for you.

I should have guessed that a hand clutch handle with a VW Bug clutch might be a bit much no matter what you do. Many motorcycles have multi-plate clutches to multiply the grip force, instead of a single plate and stiff strings.
beachbumdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with old vw clutch arm? Reply with quote

ok appreciate, just got master yeterday and went over to sho freind so as ity cools down we r going to try and mount i`ll let u kno
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: