Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia 1969 Taillights
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anasmedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

I'm looking for some help with my taillights. I just got a '69 Ghia with the 3 bulb array and the US all red lenses.

First, I'm looking to confirm that the top is for turn signal, center is for break/driving light and the bottom is a driving light.

Second what size bulbs should I use? I'm finding that 1156 for signal and 1157 for break/running is a common recommendation but I can't get the 1157 to turn in the slot. There is an old bulb that says 1157KALF on it but I can't find these anywhere.

The bottom running light seems to need a smaller bulb. There was an 1157 in there but it's melting the lens.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

anasmedic wrote:
I'm looking for some help with my taillights. I just got a '69 Ghia with the 3 bulb array and the US all red lenses.

First, I'm looking to confirm that the top is for turn signal, center is for break/driving light and the bottom is a driving light.

Second what size bulbs should I use? I'm finding that 1156 for signal and 1157 for break/running is a common recommendation but I can't get the 1157 to turn in the slot. There is an old bulb that says 1157KALF on it but I can't find these anywhere.

The bottom running light seems to need a smaller bulb. There was an 1157 in there but it's melting the lens.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Look at this wiring diagram and legend

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/ghia_67_USA.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/ghia_67_USA_key.jpg

Top=Turn
Middle=Brake
Bottom=Tail

Bulb types are marked on the diagram.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

If you go back into your taillight, would it be possible for you to snap a picture of the sheet metal behind the taillight reflector?

I've got a '69 and there is no bracing in my taillight opening, I would assume there is some sort of brace in there that the reflector mounts to.

Thanks.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:
If you go back into your taillight, would it be possible for you to snap a picture of the sheet metal behind the taillight reflector?

I've got a '69 and there is no bracing in my taillight opening, I would assume there is some sort of brace in there that the reflector mounts to.

Thanks.

Mike Gerson

Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

Well thanks, looks like I've got to track down a pair of those brackets too!
califas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

hello kingkarmann. Is that piece for sale?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

califas wrote:
hello kingkarmann. Is that piece for sale?

It is a random photo from the Samba photo gallery. Not mine.

Mike Gerson

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

Quote:
can't get the 1157 to turn in the slot

1157 have offset 'protrusions' on the base of the bulb. They only fit in one way and still turn. It keeps the running light and brighter brake light in the correct orientation.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 1969 Taillights Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
can't get the 1157 to turn in the slot

1157 have offset 'protrusions' on the base of the bulb. They only fit in one way and still turn. It keeps the running light and brighter brake light in the correct orientation.

1157s are dual filament bulbs (brake and turn). All the bulbs in your housing should be single filament bulbs with different wattages because each bulb has a single function. The "tits" are offset on 1157 bulbs. 1156 bulbs are single filament and the "tits" are directly opposed. You will never get a 1157 to lock into your housings.

https://airheadparts.com/vw-parts/vw-electrical-parts/bulbs/page/2/

Scroll down and you will see the differences in all the bulbs.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: