Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

Has anyone ever installed these windows by yourself, with no help. I can't find anyone I to assist me or who has the patience to help. I don't want anyone beating on the glass from the outside or pushing in a way to break the glass.
I'm installing old existing glass using Ronnie's (bustoration) seals.

If so, how did you go about it. I have a pair of glass suction cups to assist too.

Thank you
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

Suction cup is a good idea, but if you break suction... hosed.
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

I'd say it could be done by yourself. Just go slow and take it easy.

I've done a rear window in a Single Cab truck by myself, which is probably more difficult than a side window. I used string around the seal and lots of oil based sex lube can also use the lube electricians use for pulling wire.
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

It can be done. I would remove the popout window next to it and working from the inside you can reach through to hold the window in place with one hand and pulling the cord with the other.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

you are using a rope in the seal correct ?

and lubing the seal with something?

freshly painted bus or other body work done ?

it can be done with one person, once its started the window doesn't wanna fall out. but helper will certainly help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

Willeye, thanks. I'll be using clear guide by ideal. Electrical lubricant for pulling wires.

69aircooled, pop out is all ready out, so that will help. thanks

IamDon, I'm using a braided/coated 16 gauge wire, lubing with Clear Guide. paint is not new but all in great shape. Yea I realize a helper would be nice. Maybe I can talk my wife into just standing on the outside with her hand on the glass (but her finding the time is a tough one)

Thanks again everyone.
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

I usually stay on the outside and push the glass with one hand onto the body. Using the other hand to pull the rope. Get a good water-based lube and it should work out. I have done all the window glass without help during the last 30+ years. Sometimes it just takes a second time to get it right. You have to be on the outside just in case the glass is not going in and slips.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
I usually stay on the outside and push the glass with one hand onto the body. Using the other hand to pull the rope. Get a good water-based lube and it should work out. I have done all the window glass without help during the last 30+ years. Sometimes it just takes a second time to get it right. You have to be on the outside just in case the glass is not going in and slips.

Thanks, that sounds like a great approach worth trying.
Jeff
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

If the glass is tempered (sekurit) it is okay to pound on it.
If it says Sigla (laminated) it is easy to break if you look at it funny.

It helps to have a helper push the glass from the outside, with palms on the window and fingers spread out, using two hands to spread the push. If they are not tall, standing on a milk crate can help to put some weight into the push... but you can go back and forth if no helper is available.

After the string has pulled the lip of the seal over the lip of the metal, stand on the milk crate and push the glass in firmly... evenly.. to seat the glass into the bus.

Glycerin is a good lube for window install, and good for your hands.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

Clara,

Excellent and detailed explanation. I appreciate it. Might have to give it a try this weekend.

Thanks so much
Jeff
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

I've used a thick piece of styrofoam cut to about the size of the glass, then using 1 or 2 ratchet straps over the glass and foam and draw them tight into the hole - evenly. this puts good even pressure on the glass and sucks it down to the metal lip real nice. u may have to use longer straps or double them up to reach a securing spot for the hooks. also have to play with the ratcheting mech location for best even pressure depending on securing locations you choose. you can double or triple stack the foam if you need a better angle as well.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

FritzCP

Hey thanks alot. That's thinking outside of the box. Great idea!

Thanks again
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing fixed side windows on a deluxe 13 window bus Reply with quote

Fritz

The suggestion to use cargo straps was the key for me to install the windows solo. Had to be a bit creative to locate anchor points on each end of the strap but it worked out great. The use of a couple pieces of 3/4" insulation board/styrofoam helped secure to glass and helped disperse the force when pounding the windows into place.

Now on to my two pop outs, which is all ready proved to be another challenge.

thanks again
Jeff
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: