Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with down and dirty paint fix
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HopperGrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Help with down and dirty paint fix Reply with quote

Several weeks ago some heavy wind blew over a basketball goal that landed on my bug's roof (lesson learned...). It put several pretty nasty scratches on it and actually popped off a big chip of paint.

I'm planning on eventually doing a full restoration one day, but I'm not quite ready yet. So I don't want to commit to a full paint job and I don't know enough to do a decent patch job myself.

I was wondering if there are any recommendation of something I could apply with a rattlecan just to look ok from a distance and prevent rust until the day comes when I'm ready to do the full job.

I don't expect it to look great, but I'd like it to at least be able to "pass" from 50 feet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with down and dirty paint fix Reply with quote

Auto Paint Shops can scan & custom mix matching paint in spray cans.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with down and dirty paint fix Reply with quote

The second photo shows a fair thickness of filler has been removed down to the metal. If this is not treated, water will get underneath and start rusting. It will creep rust over a much bigger area and giving you a much bigger problem later on. The fact that the bondo has come off means that the area is going to be a "bath" exacerbating the problem.

I know you may not have the experience to patch it yourself, but if you are willing to have a go at it, would it matter from 50 feet anyway?

I'd go down to the auto store and get some paint matched and ask the operator to give you some suitable primer that will go with it. If you want to take the opportunity to have a go, I'd fill the scratches with some bondo, sand it reasonably smooth (it doesn't have to be perfect from 50'), prime and paint. $50-75??

Given that it's been several weeks I'm sure the metal has already started rusting. You will need to treat before filling or painting. The auto store guys will be able to advise if you should use a rust treatment first or use say an etch primer (which contains an acid to help treat the rust).

Whatever you do, don't start the repair and not finish. Primer tends not to be waterproof and will allow rusting to occur under the primer. Treat, prime and paint before taking the car out in the elements.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with down and dirty paint fix Reply with quote

Easiest and best fix is to get some two part glazing putty at a FLAPS. Sand out the area affected so there is not more chipped paint and you get a feathered edge. Use 180 grit to do it.
Next step is to mix and swipe the area with the filler, let it harden then use some 220 to sand it and the immediate surrounding area until the surface is level. Then use some 320 to eliminate any deep scratches.
Next step would be to shoot some epoxy primer over the sanded area then spray paint.
If you just try to spray paint over that the repair will look like crap and won’t seal anything. You have to get rid of any loose material and hard edges.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help with down and dirty paint fix Reply with quote

HopperGrass wrote:
Several weeks ago some heavy wind blew over a basketball goal that landed on my bug's roof (lesson learned...). It put several pretty nasty scratches on it and actually popped off a big chip of paint.

So....
How did the repair go?
Pictures?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: