Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

horn ground on steering column
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clutch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: horn ground on steering column Reply with quote

Finally crawled under the front of the car and located bottom of steering column but cannot locate the insulated disc where the ground tab where the ground wire is to be attached. Do I need to remove the gas tank to get at this? I've seen photos of this but not how to get there.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: horn ground on steering column Reply with quote

What car? 72 Super?

The horn wiring uses the center rod as the supply, and gounds up at the steering wheel. There is no insulating disc as the column has the collapsible section and a couple U-joints in it.

I forget exactly where the horn attaches to the column.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: horn ground on steering column Reply with quote

On my standard, with the tank out I can access it easy. I need a new one though, as mine is corroded and falling apart.
Clutch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: horn ground on steering column Reply with quote

It is 1972 Super Beetle
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: horn ground on steering column Reply with quote

As Lingwendil noted above, there is no insulated / flexible disk at the bottom of steering column on Super Beetles -- the bottom of the column attaches directly to the steering box on those models.

For the horn system on all 1971 and later models, both Standard and Super Beetles, the steering column shaft acts as the ground in the horn circuit. Note the the metal central portion of the steering wheel hub is in direct contact with the top of the steering column shaft, and thus is grounded as well.

At the other end of the horn circuit, the brown ground wire coming up from the horn (normally "hot" when the ignition is on) connects to brass or copper contact tab(s) mounted on the turn signal switch. These tabs press against a contact ring on the back / base of the steering wheel, and this contact ring is connected via a short wire to the horn button / ring. When you press the ("hot") horn button / ring, it contacts the metal central hub of the steering wheel, thus grounding (and completing) the horn circuit, causing the horn to honk.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: