Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are there any good condensers?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

I've bought 3 Bosch condensers lately and none of them will work. The last two were supposedly NOS, so I hoped they'd work. The grommet is loose in the distributor body for one thing, but now I find the wire is too short so the grommet won't fit in the bracket that secures it. Has anyone else had this problem? These are the "made in turkey" ones. I've heard Napa has good ones,but I can't get to a Napa for a few days. Guess I actually have to ct the old wires off and solder them to the new condenser. This is ridiculous.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bkeith85 on Sun May 22, 2022 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

I've sold thousands and only had a handful reported as going bad in a short time.

Try SMP (Standard Motor Products)

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

You've sold the Napa ones, or Bosch?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

Sorry... bosch.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

Had to add an inch of wire for it to reach the fork in the bracket.

No one will notice. Looks factory, right?

Now I can at least tell if the condenser was the problem. If it is, I'll go get one from Napa.
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

New Bosch products are crap. Get BERU brand
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

Do you have a part number for the Beru ones? I'll try to look for them locally.
I have checked NAPA, but the only one that looks correct is Echlin EP259. On that one the long wire to the coil looks to be too short. I haven't seen it in person, but the pic on the website doesn't look quite right.

The SMP GB122 looks pretty good, but I don't know if I can get one locally. I'd have to order it.

I'll look for Beru parts and see what I can find.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

metoooo wrote:
New Bosch products are crap. Get BERU brand

The Bosch and Beru are made in the same factory in Turkey.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

Those are not NOS condensers. Those are currently produced in the Turkey factory for Bosch. I sell a lot of them without any issues. There are no problems. Bosch generally guarantees it's parts for 2 years. Different sellers warranty for different periods.

If you buy from me I will make sure they work for you without issue.

For that one that you have you can push up on the grommet and stretch the wire a little bit until the grommet foes into the fork. Those grommets do not fit the hole in the side of the distributor tightly. They kind of just lay in there. What holds them in place is the screw that goes in the side.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

I dunno, I just had one from a local auto parts shop go bad in my 914 after just a couple drives. Can't remember the brand but looked just like that one. Wires were kinda short too. Tossed it in the trash and put the original back on and running good again.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

I stumbled on a fix that involves a printed circuit board capacitor. The specs are the same as a condenser, 22 microfrands, or some such. I mounted it in a piece of J track and then to one of the coil bolts, and wired it as the condenser would be wired. It works perfectly for what it does.

bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Those are not NOS condensers. Those are currently produced in the Turkey factory for Bosch. I sell a lot of them without any issues. There are no problems. Bosch generally guarantees it's parts for 2 years. Different sellers warranty for different periods.

If you buy from me I will make sure they work for you without issue.

For that one that you have you can push up on the grommet and stretch the wire a little bit until the grommet foes into the fork. Those grommets do not fit the hole in the side of the distributor tightly. They kind of just lay in there. What holds them in place is the screw that goes in the side.

Actually, I did order them from you a couple weeks ago. I just don't like that I have to pull the wire so tight that it almost breaks. I have an old Bosch one on there now and it has about 10mm more wire so you don't have to stretch it. I was able to extend the wire on one of the new ones I got from you to determine that the problem is not the condenser. I will just continue to use the old one I have. It's a shame that they can't make them properly. I'd gladly pay more to get a longer wire. How much could 10mm more wire cost?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2241678

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

Well, I ordered the Standard Motor Products (SMP) version of this part and it came today. It's identical to the Bosch part except for the laser etched part number. It is also made in Turkey. Same short wire. So there is another one I can't use. I may try one from Napa just to see if it is a viable option. But at that point, I will have spent about $100 trying to get one good condenser, which is supposed to be the cheapest ignition part you can buy. Except for a single spark plug, I guess.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

bkeith85 wrote:

Actually, I did order them from you a couple weeks ago. I just don't like that I have to pull the wire so tight that it almost breaks.

It won't break. If it does I'll send you a replacement. Once you pop that plastic piece over the fork the wire loosens up. Try it out and let me know how it goes. I just did this to one and it resulted in plenty of loose wire afterwards.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2241678

Certainly neater than what I did, but that's it.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any good condensers? Reply with quote

bkeith85 wrote:
Well, I ordered the Standard Motor Products (SMP) version of this part and it came today. It's identical to the Bosch part except for the laser etched part number. It is also made in Turkey. Same short wire. So there is another one I can't use. I may try one from Napa just to see if it is a viable option. But at that point, I will have spent about $100 trying to get one good condenser, which is supposed to be the cheapest ignition part you can buy. Except for a single spark plug, I guess.

Probably not a whole lot of factories in the world making condensors these days so it doesn't totally surprise me that they're all coming from the same factory in Turkey Very Happy

I've had my eye on that Samba ad above for a while...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: