Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus Inspectors for Hire?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeshua63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

I going to shop for a 1968 to 1971 Bus.
If I find one in Southern California, do you know of any person I can pay with great VW mechanic experience, that will go check it out with me to see if it's a good buy -before- choose to I buy it?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

Gary in San Diego. I don't know if Robbie still does that stuff.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

I second the suggestion for Gary, whose Samba handle is Aeromech and he is based in San Diego.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

If this guy contacts me I would point him towards a bus that’s for sale in Gilbert Arizona. I know the owner and he is very honest.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2548010
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yeshua63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

This is all great information, thank you fellas. Robbie was the guy I had in mind that I couldn’t figure out what his name was or his link, but I found it.
Who is Gary, he seems well liked and what’s his site or link if you know it? And thank you for the offer of the bus in Arizona, it looks beautiful and if it’s still around when I’m ready to pull the trigger I’ll get back with you!👍🏽
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

Yeshua63 wrote:
This is all great information, thank you fellas. Robbie was the guy I had in mind that I couldn’t figure out what his name was or his link, but I found it.
Who is Gary, he seems well liked and what’s his site or link if you know it? And thank you for the offer of the bus in Arizona, it looks beautiful and if it’s still around when I’m ready to pull the trigger I’ll get back with you!👍🏽

I don't know how much of that Robbie still does. Someone told me he was working on Porsche EV swaps. It used to be more likely you'd see Robbie hanging around Gary's place. Robbie is a great resource and knows Bays inside and out. Gary is an AP by profession and took up buses as a hobby many years ago. Has helped lots of folks with their buses. He goes by "Aeromech". Telford hangs around there sometimes too. And, Telford is a genius in electronics and electrical. He helped me figure out an ignition system vibrator for a 1916 Pierce Arrow a friend was restoring for Pebble Beach. Robbie goes by "Airschooled"
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Inspectors for Hire? Reply with quote

I think that’s a good strategy. I also highly recommend the Haynes restoration manual. In particular, it gives great examples of the places where buses typically rust and what is involved in repairing it. They deal with at least really crusty example. Metal work is probably the most extensive part of any restoration. Compared to the repair of mechanicals, it can be a longer, windier path with many detours. Freshly painted buses are the most suspect. A bus can be made beautiful with enough filler and paint for a few months.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: