Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
@DigiMatrix -- Are you taking orders for next batch?

No new orders, but please check PM - I have a some left over from the last run.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
This tool is super useful. It helped me verify that I had a faulty AFM.

Now I want to see if I can use the emulator along with the great knowledge on this site to not only diagnose, but also repair parts!

Now that I have a junk AFM, I want to try to repair it to make a spare.

If I understand how this emulator works, I believe I can use this repair method on it:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356377

Rather than using a multimeter on the O2 ground, I think I can just use the emulator and the data sent from ALDLdroid. I still would need to disconnect that 02 ground in order to put the van in open loop. However, I wonder if would be better to look at the Long Term Fuel Correction rather than the O2 voltage. Working to get that to as close to zero at all the various RPM ranges should indicate a properly adjusted AFM, right?

After I took my AFM apart I found the wiperboard to appear worn out. I decided to buy one of the Chinese replacement boards. I used the emulator to adjust the AFM. I found that when I installed the new wiperboard into the AFM and the AFM into the van that the Long Term Fuel Correction read -55. I then started to go for drives and adjusted the AFM. It took a few turns of the screw but now my Long Term Fuel Correction usually reads between -1 and 10. My van's gas mileage also improved slightly. I need to go get a smog shop to sniff it, but the Emulator seems to be helpful with AFM adjustments.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Aryana wrote:
Here's a video of 96 mph in a Vanagon with the new ALDL adx file showing the correct IDC %.

Marco's injectors, GoWesty large throttle body, 91 octane fuel and 40 degrees of timing per tencent's method are the mods to this very happy 230k mile WBX.

Link

Aren’t you way into the redline at 96mph?

The stock ECU rev limiter is at 5900 rpm. Although a redline is marked on the tach at 5200 rpm, I've found the stock tachometer to be inaccurate by about 150-250 rpm depending on the total RPM.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

This is all so exciting. Especially the fact that my motor is now leaking coolant from the water jacket seals and is due to be replaced by something a lot more modern!

Is there a cat in a bag somewhere? What do you mean by 'more modern' ??? Like, this Emulator IS, right? Or do you intend to go with a FAS GenV or something?!?!?!?

The emulator is great. I just won't use it for too long. By the end of this year I intend to put a Subaru motor in there.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Diagnostics capability now in Taiwan - Jimi is going to help other Vanagon owners if they have problems. He says they have about 3xx Vanagons there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ltheden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

interested in a board if you have any left
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

If you want to contact me, please click on my user name and use the email link. Please include your email so I can get back to you.

Thanks
Dennis Ku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Hi DigiMatrix,
I am interested on it. See if you have one left for me.

thanks
Dennis

DigiMatrix wrote:
Diagnostics capability now in Taiwan - Jimi is going to help other Vanagon owners if they have problems. He says they have about 3xx Vanagons there.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Dennis_Ku,

I am sure it is the same answer as given just above in the thread, and quoted here for your convenience:

DigiMatrix wrote:
If you want to contact me, please click on my user name and use the email link. Please include your email so I can get back to you.

Thanks

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

So, I am working on the long awaited Tuning XDF and was going through the code today. Thought I would share a little tutorial regarding OXS closed loop and Decel fuel cut.

On start, if the Engine IAT (intake air temperature) is <= 15.1°C or 59.2°F, then OXS closed loop will not occur until the Engine ECT (engine coolant temperature) has reached 62.4°C or 144.2°F. Likewise with decel fuel cut - not allowed until Engine ECT has reached 62.4°C or 144.2°F.

However, if on start, if the engine IAT > than 15.1°C or 59.2°F, then OXS closed loop will occur when the Engine ECT has reached 26.9°C or 80.4°F. Decel fuel cut can then occur when the Engine ECT has reached 17.6°C or 63.7°F.

Hopefully this will explain why sometimes the engine goes closed loop quickly while other times it doesn't - watch your IAT
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
So, I am working on the long awaited Tuning XDF and was going through the code today. Thought I would share a little tutorial regarding OXS closed loop and Decel fuel cut.

On start, if the Engine IAT (intake air temperature) is <= 15.1°C or 59.2°F, then OXS closed loop will not occur until the Engine ECT (engine coolant temperature) has reached 62.4°C or 144.2°F. Likewise with decel fuel cut - not allowed until Engine ECT has reached 62.4°C or 144.2°F.

However, if on start, if the engine IAT > than 15.1°C or 59.2°F, then OXS closed loop will occur when the Engine ECT has reached 26.9°C or 80.4°F. Decel fuel cut can then occur when the Engine ECT has reached 17.6°C or 63.7°F.

Hopefully this will explain why sometimes the engine goes closed loop quickly while other times it doesn't - watch your IAT

I was wondering about that. This thing is amazing.
Dennis Ku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Dennis_Ku,

I am sure it is the same answer as given just above in the thread, and quoted here for your convenience:

DigiMatrix wrote:

Thanks

Thanks for remindor
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

How have I not heard about this?!

Subscribing for the next round!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
How have I not heard about this?!

Subscribing for the next round!

You should PM him ASAP... he might have a couple left.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I came across this youtube video today regarding the Vanagon 2.1L engine and the Digifant system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HqVhD2OA0w&t=347s

It is worth watching for troubleshooting information that can be used with the emulator.

I found that with youtube, you can turn on closed captions, then go to settings and click on subtitles/CC ==> autotranslate and choose english. This will automatically translate the German closed caption to english.

Also please note that the bit about WOT enrichment only when over 4000 RPM is incorrect in the "D" version ECU. Might have been valid in different ECU's - I don't know.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

For folks who have the stock injectors, what are y'all finding your OXS INT values as typically reading? What would you say your usual range is and what is your usual average?

I find that I tend to get -4 to 10 for the range and on average I find it usually hangs out around 4 to 5.

I'm at sea level.

Last edited by montanasurfer on Tue May 31, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
For folks who have the stock injectors, what are y'all finding your OXS INT values as typically reading? What would you say your usual range is and what is your usual average?

I find that I tend to get -4 to 10 for the range and on average I find it usually hangs out around 4 to 5.

I am not stock, but thought I should add that I am noticing the integral gain does change with altitude. That said, it would be good if people added their altitude along with the integral gain values they are seeing.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I've got a bone stock bus to try it on. I'll get back with that info when I get on it. Might take a couple days.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

My 100 miles today gave poor results. Bouncing from -18 to +22 , so I need to narrow it down a bit more to get better figures for you monstasurfer.

I'm at from 1050 to 1300 ft above sea level. Also to mention, this stocker is probably on its original exhaust, most likely also the original CAT, even though that's after the sensor, its still something to mention.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
My 100 miles today gave poor results. Bouncing from -18 to +22 , so I need to narrow it down a bit more to get better figures for you monstasurfer.

I'm at from 1050 to 1300 ft above sea level. Also to mention, this stocker is probably on its original exhaust, most likely also the original CAT, even though that's after the sensor, its still something to mention.

That is quite a swing! I got a 2.3 with stock exhaust and a very old Canadian Cat.

How many hills were you charging up? Did you use gas going down hill?

I'm finding a helpful aspect of this emulator is to watch the fuel decel cut off and let that inform my throttle usage..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 31

Jump to: