Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome vs painted engine tins
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan_VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

I have looked through the forum and haven't found quite what I was looking for. I am going to replace/repair my tins on my '69 Pickup and was wondering if, other than appearance, is there an advantage/disadvantage of dressing up the interior with chrome plated tins? I heard that the motor runs hotter with them on but haven't found much info to support that.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

i'm no engineer, but i had mine powder coated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

Unless you clean/repair your own OG tin and have it plated avoid chrome tin, the repro stuff fits terrible and lacks the internal vanes to direct air flow.
There's also some degree of heat radiated from black tins, the chrome reflects it all back at the engine.

It's also a red flag if you ever sell, it screams cheap repro parts and a focus on looks over function to anyone who knows VW's, the only people it fools are the drunks at Barret Jackson.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

They will rust and look like crap quickly

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stan_VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Unless you clean/repair your own OG tin and have it plated avoid chrome tin, the repro stuff fits terrible and lacks the internal vanes to direct air flow.
There's also some degree of heat radiated from black tins, the chrome reflects it all back at the engine.

It's also a red flag if you ever sell, it screams cheap repro parts and a focus on looks over function to anyone who knows VW's, the only people it fools are the drunks at Barret Jackson.

Great! Appreciate the info, that clears up my concerns especially about the heat. I will definitely go with either replacing or cleaning/repainting mine or go with powder coating.

Tks
lonewolfone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

When I see chrome tins it reminds me of the smell of an overheating hot oil burning smell and greasy finger prints. They are awful.
65 sundial "trailer special"
75 riviera "red rocket "
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

The hotties liked the chrome in the 80s. The keepers like a full functional car. Choose wisely Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Xatie just wants shit to work as it should.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

Xatie just wants shit to work as it should.

She looks pretty happy so I’m just going to say “keep up” the good work
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome vs painted engine tins Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
the repro stuff fits terrible and lacks the internal vanes to direct air flow.

I will agree that the fit sucks and they are definitely not as good as the factory tins. However, we did install a Chinese 36hp dog house fan shroud on the 2109 in my ‘65 Beetle. I was not happy about it, but it does allow more room for the dual carbs in the small space. Anyway, it does have veins in it. It seems to cool just fine and it pushes good heat (quickly) in the winter. This shroud does not have the holes for factory T-Stat flaps, those had to be drilled and one of the veins had to be trimmed for them to fit properly.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: