Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lack of compression??? Not Sure.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

i like one with a stiff but flexible hose to help thread it into the spark plug hole. it must be a screw in type vs just push it against the hole. while you're at the parts store, pickup a remote starter switch. so handy when checking compression.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i like one with a stiff but flexible hose to help thread it into the spark plug hole. it must be a screw in type vs just push it against the hole. while you're at the parts store, pickup a remote starter switch. so handy when checking compression.

Is a remote starter switch required or can I just disconnect the fuel injectors and spark plugs, then just go up and turn the key to turn the engine over??
Cheers,
Rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:
Is a remote starter switch required or can I just disconnect the fuel injectors and spark plugs, then just go up and turn the key to turn the engine over??
Cheers,
Rob

sure, you can do that. but for the $17 it saves running back and forth plus you get to watch the behavior of the gauge. and gauges are notorious for leaking down, bleeding off psi as soon as the cranking stops.

if you just pull the 3 wire plug out of the distributor, it won't trigger the ignition coil nor injectors. if you use the starter switch, you can just do it with the key off.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
robcurtis2 wrote:
Cheers,
Rob

sure, you can do that. but for the $17 it saves running back and forth plus you get to watch the behavior of the gauge. and gauges are notorious for leaking down, bleeding off psi as soon as the cranking stops.

if you just pull the 3 wire plug out of the distributor, it won't trigger the ignition coil nor injectors. if you use the starter switch, you can just do it with the key off.

So one like this??
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3630-Remote-Starter-...amp;sr=8-1
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:
DanHoug wrote:
robcurtis2 wrote:
Cheers,
Rob

So one like this??
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3630-Remote-Starter-...amp;sr=8-1

Anyone have suggestions or is this one ok?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

Am I right that you have one valve held in by a single keeper because the other one popped loose? I wouldn't risk running it or even cranking it over like that for a compression check. If that keeper comes loose, the valve could fall into the cylinder and make for an even worse day (e.g. non-rebuildable boat anchor).

That remote start switch looks just like the one I have. Should work fine.
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

Okay so im assuming I need to order a valve keeper or two, figure out some way to remove the ond one that is stuck on there, then figure out how to install the new keepers on the valve end with the head still installed, then do a compression check? Ideas??
Cheers,
Rob
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

I'd probably skip the compression check and instead, pull the engine, pull the heads, inspect the pistons, pull the valves/keepers, etc... I didn't take the time to read the whole thread, though, so maybe I missed some things.

If you really want to pull valve keepers with the heads installed, it is possible but somewhat of a PITA. I have not personally done so, but I have heard of feeding rope through the spark plug hole, then moving the piston to TDC to push the rope into the valves (to keep them from moving into the cylinder). Then compress the springs to pull/replace the keepers.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

I have removed valve springs in place by firmly blocking the engine at TDC and using a compression gauge hose to apply compressed air to the combustion. If the piston is at BDC, it can be done, but if you screw up, the valve can slip into the cylinder.

If the keeper sticks in the retainer, get courageous and give the retainer a sharp whack. Not too much that you make the valve kiss the piston, if they interfere.
Roland
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

it will take an hour to pull the engine. then another 10 minutes to have the head off.

why the hesitation to do what needs to be done?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

I still think that engine has to come out and the head removed because keepers don't fall out unless there is a problem causing that to occur and the valve stem is likely bent.

But while we are on the topic of valve work with the cylinder head in place, I want to make a comment. I have successfully used the nylon rope trick on a number of occasions to replace valve stem seals on a number of different engines. It works surprisingly well. Make sure that the piston in the cylinder in question is on the compression stroke, half way or more up the bore, then feed 1/4" or 3/16" nylon rope through the spark plug hole until you can't push any more in, then rotate the engine to put light pressure on the valves to keep them closed.

Now you can use a "one sided" valve spring compressor to compress the spring, remove the keepers and remove the retainer and spring. I used to use compressed air through the spark plug hole, but this one time, (at band camp?) I accidentally tapped a valve stem which released all the compressed air and the valve dropped into the cylinder. Embarassed Rope is better, plus there is no air hose to futz with or squirm around.
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

I know I know I probably will need to drop the engine, remove the head and inspect. If it was only that some how I lucked out and only part of the keeper fell out and the other part stuck the valve in place still, then I was hoping that I could just compress the spring and replace the keeper and on the road again (As Willie Nelson would sing). I just replaced the heads this last winter and really didnt want to drain the coolant, oil, and remove the engine and heads again. Ugh!
Cheers
Rob
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

If only half of the keeper pair came out I'd be inclined to try just replacing that keeper pair for a quick test.
Then a compression test, all cylinders.

Of course a close inspection of the valve stem is called for once the spring and keeper bits are out of the way.

Mark

robcurtis2 wrote:
I know I know I probably will need to drop the engine, remove the head and inspect. If it was only that some how I lucked out and only part of the keeper fell out and the other part stuck the valve in place still, then I was hoping that I could just compress the spring and replace the keeper and on the road again (As Willie Nelson would sing). I just replaced the heads this last winter and really didnt want to drain the coolant, oil, and remove the engine and heads again. Ugh!
Cheers
Rob
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
If only half of the keeper pair came out I'd be inclined to try just replacing that keeper pair for a quick test.
Then a compression test, all cylinders.

Of course a close inspection of the valve stem is called for once the spring and keeper bits are out of the way.

Mark

robcurtis2 wrote:
Cheers
Rob

That was along the lines of my thinking but there are some that disagree.
Cheers,
Rob
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

I think that course of action is also reasonable.

Basically, just make a choice between the following:

1. Rope in spark plug hole, pinch valve, replace keeper, do compression check, etc...

OR

2. Pull engine, pull head, etc...

Either is reasonable. I'd recommend, just make a choice and get on with it.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

I don't know guys, but this looks like more that one keeper fell out....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

Where are the promised photos? Did I miss them?

Mark

robcurtis2 wrote:
Howesight wrote:

So, give us pics of the affected valve(s), do a compression test, and give us the results. Then we can stop guessing and start diagnosing.

I will get pics and compression this weekend. More to come
Cheers,
Rob
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Where are the promised photos? Did I miss them?

Mark

robcurtis2 wrote:
Howesight wrote:

So, give us pics of the affected valve(s), do a compression test, and give us the results. Then we can stop guessing and start diagnosing.

I will get pics and compression this weekend. More to come
Cheers,
Rob

I didnt get to it. Darn it! Gonna try soon.
Cheerio,
Rob
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

Ok Volks,
I removed the engine with the intent to remove cylinder 3/4 head BUT looksy what I found out. So removing the valve cover, and with closer inspection, I found that cylinder 4 outer spring (so what the intake valve or the one furthest to the rear), the valve spring seat broke. The good news is that the valve was not sucked in to the cylinder. I think I can just replace the spring and keepers and be back on the road correct. Tell me if this is a correct process.

1. Replace the broke valve spring and keepers.
2. Check compression

If compression checks ok, then reassemble and back on the road?? Any suggestions on how to do this without removing the head and taking to a machine shop? lol Let me know when you can.
Cheers,
RC

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of compression??? Not Sure. Reply with quote

post a side view picture of the top of the valve where the keeper rides. with that broken keeper and seeing it's an AMC head, i'm suspecting the valve stem wore in the area of the keeper.

AMC's keepers are loose on the valve stem and they should clasp the valve stem with a small gap between the two keepers. one can grind a bit off on the side of a grinding wheel to tighten them up.

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: