Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

I have a 90 Vanagon Westy that I'm getting ready for the season..

Clutch job done, I'm focusing on lines.

I purchased two of the Clutch slave/master flexible lines and have a oem new hardline.

Fitting these together by hand, shows 1 thread of actual engagement, before snug hand tight.

I've had alot of time on VW/Audi cars among many others.. I've never seen 1 thread before engagement.

I am familiar with a bubble flare fittings and the 8-9 threads until hand tight with the LONG barrel fittings.

Am I going crazy? Would you put a wheel on with 1 thread of lug thread engagement?

Looking further into this, it is the same product found at Vancafe, GW, Busdepot and Burley.

I thought, ok, since this is all new, I put a little wrench/wrist energy into it, and the thread gave out at 2 threads deep. I am quite certain the fitting was NOT cross threaded.

Now I have a damaged $75 new OEM hardline. UGH!

Ideas + Suggestions Welcome!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

Did you buy it from Burley?
He supplies the Topran brand slave cylinder, it is not tapped deep enough to use the factory Syncro banjo bolt, you gotta shorten the bolt.

Or maybe your banjo is too thin too....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

Does the original line thread fully in?

If yes, your new line isn't correct.
If No, your new cylinder isn't correct.

You could also try your new line in the old cylinder.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

Thanks,

It seems I need to add more data,

The materials, Two parts:

1. CLUTCH HARDLINE - Sourced from Vancafe VW OEM hardline w bubble flare fittings on each end M12x1.0 nuts (intended to thread into the Clutch hoses)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. FLEXIBLE STAINLESS LINE (fits BOTH Clutch Slave and Master Cylinder and is an "upgrade for all years") - sourced from Busdepot https://www.busdepot.com/251721461a - Also sold at GW, Vancafe, and Burley (for example)

The SS flexible lines boast a Banjo (which goes into the master, and slave, respectively) and the other end (which is in question) is the SHORT barrel fitting.
THIS:

Action Plan:
Accept delivery, unbox, join parts together.

Hand thread the SS fittings onto the hardline mating them together, only 1 single thread of fitment is had.

There was no cross-threading.

Moderate "wrist/wrench" tight gets maybe 2 full threads of engagement.

The summary feelings:

The New aftermarket SS hose seems like it was incorrectly created with a Short barrel fitting, and does not properly fit the OEM clutch hardline, Factory new part, which boasts a M12x female, very shallow.

Would you allow 1-2 (out of 10 possible) threads of thread engagement on your: Steering wheel, Manifold bolts, Turbo manifold bolts, Lug bolts.. or any high pressure requirement?

Would you crank down on any bolt/nut when there is only 1 SINGLE thread of engagement available?

Final thought,

When looking at the OEM factory fittings for either hose, and you can see LONG barrel fittings on the ends of the hoses.

All VW/Audi brand barrel type fittings I've ever seen with braking/hydraulic fittings is a Long barrel on the end.

So, rechecking all sites and available products...possibly thinking I bought the wrong product.... (market research) I did find German Rubber lines boast the deep connection and many others do too.

So, not trying to DOUBT, I took a deep breath.. and I did crank down, gently, slowly hoping the seating of the bubble fitting would occur.. Just as you would crank down slowly on a compression fitting, there is a sweet spot.

But.. nope. the thread on the Hardline gave out. it literally rolled, and malformed.

I feel sick now.

I think this is where my practically unused tube of Prussian Blue may be useful.

Last edited by dubbified on Sat May 28, 2022 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

I mean if the threads don't go more than 1 turn by hand, they're wrong, I wouldn't have forced them. They're prolly some imperial BS that got mixed in a bin at the manufacturer's work bench.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

Thanks Alika.. You get 1, full thread. That's it. To me, that's not ideal.

Yea, I went wrist tight, and that was enough to damage the threads on the $75 hardline.. which totally ticks me off.

I've got a line into Busdepot to see what we can do.

What is odd, looking at the market, is that most of the Van-specific providers opted to carry this line, which makes me think other people are also going to be in the same situation..

So, either I am missing an adapter, or it was created incorrectly.

Has anyone here used these *updated* clutch master/Slave lines and have any feedback?

This is what the OEM looks like, and you can see the end, it is clearly a LONG barrel design.

Compared to another vanagon soft line,
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if it's long or short barrel, the fitting must be wrong on the end of the flex line since the hard line male part is stock size, which you can double check just to be sure, with the older female piece if you still have it.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

Oh,

This was a 90 multivan, I pulled the auto last spring, sold it to a local gent..

I had the 4 speed built by Rancho, and am working on the final connections/controls.

So, no more auto.. went manual!

I dont have, old parts to reference. I bought it all new.

If you are going to twist my arm, I previously went ALH, bored it to a 2.0 strapping it with a hybrid turbo 1749vb, air/h20 cooler, I welded the cradle/mount arms, and rigging on automatic for a couple tanks of gas, figured I got about 38mpg. I then decided to go manual for greater control, with a locker, this is the final connection to solve.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch master/slave braided hoses - incorrectly made? Reply with quote

I should update this thread with the best solution I could find, short of not using the SS hoses (bought from Busdepot) with an OEM VW brand hardline (which I bought from Vancafe).

I went and picked up coated 3/16" American grease PVF hardline stock in a box, a couple some bubble flare fittings, M12x1.0, and created bubble flares with a cheap harborfreight flare die. I didnt heat anything, I hand bent the lines into place and put ends on them. No cracking of the PVF was evident.. even under the die to install the ends. That PVF is pretty baked on.

The happy path.. I was able to get 3-4 full turns on the connection reliably, and complete this task of completing the Clutch master to slave hydraulic connection, and get on to the next part of my transmission swap. No more auto!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: