Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you hear a vacuum leak?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I prefer Continental myself. In 30+ years of Volkswagening, I've never had an issue with one. Also, it’s a great idea to keep a spare in the Bus.
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/13519782-10X905?utm_...6YQAvD_BwE

The lower priced line of Continental belts aren't worth squat.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
creative native wrote:
I prefer Continental myself. In 30+ years of Volkswagening, I've never had an issue with one. Also, it’s a great idea to keep a spare in the Bus.

I've used these ContiTech for years without a problem. What are you using?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
creative native wrote:

I've used these ContiTech for years without a problem. What are you using?

I didn't know that there were two different grades of Conti belts and bought what my local supplier had in stock. It stretched like a rubber band and was impossible to keep tight. This was at least 5 years ago, so maybe by now things have change?
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

UPDATE: Ok, as per usual it was something really simple. I found the Idle Jet on the right side of the carb. Took it out and it had a tiny bit of crap in there. Blew it out and hey presto I have idle again.

My main concern now is that after taking it out for a 5-minute spin, the engine bay was way hotter than I have ever experienced. Could hardly touch the tin.

SGKent alluded to my fan belt causing issues with the cooling if it is failing and could also be part of the rubbing noise coming from the pulleys. Could this be confirmation?

Next up, new belt and sharpish before any trips.

Thanks as always for the feedback.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-35638.png]Click to view image[/URL]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

use another car to go buy the new belt so you don't cook the engine, which it sounds like you are doing.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Evening all. So I got the new belt on and I decided to get a new pulley too. First time I have done this and I have a few concerns.

The hissing/rubbing sound is still there, though it does seem quieter. The old belt definitely needed replacing. Here is a video of the new one running a lot better than before:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QNY5coSa3nk

Am I worrying about nothing with that rubbing/hissing sound?

Another thing, the pulley has oil splattered on it after running it for a few minutes as you can see here. Is this normal? I wouldn't have noticed on the old one since it was old black and grimy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lastly, I drove it down the street and I could hear a vibration noise when I took my foot off the gas. Have I got it on there well enbough? I used 3 new shims when putting the new pulley on, since there were 3 on the old one. I saw that in a video.

Any ideas what the vibration noise is? I don't have a video but could get one tomorrow maybe.

Thanks.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

The shims adjust the belt tension, so you need to back and set that right.

Too loose, cooked engine

Too tight, cooked generator
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

did you reach around with the ENGINE OFF and check to see if anything is in the fan or it feels loose in any way?
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

No, I didn't do this. Never been back there. What will I be feeling for? Will definitely get back in there.

tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The shims adjust the belt tension, so you need to back and set that right.

Too loose, cooked engine

Too tight, cooked generator

Once I got the belt on I checked the tension based on pinching it in no more than 1/2 inch and it wouldn't twist easily past 90 degrees.

tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

If the generator light comes on when I am driving it, does this mean the belt is too slack?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Were you pinching both sides of the belt in a half inch? (Total of one inch...) or were you just pushing it in a half inch on the left side of the belt? Second one is more correct.

I suppose a way too loose belt could cause the generator light to come on, but likely really only if you had a lot of electrical load (headlights on, etc) if the generator is spinning along with the engine.

The main "hissing" sound I hear sounds to me like intake noise from the carburetor.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

I think it needs to be tighter based on what you are saying here. It definitely feels slacker than when I first put it on last night. Think I will take out a shim or two.

Is intake noise something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Intake noise is a symptom of the crude chrome air filter. VW original works quieter.

If the light comes on at idle, you have a generator which may do that

While your fan belt is slapping around its also helping to destroy the pulley, the Woodruff key that locks it to the generator shaft, and the key slot in the generator shaft.

The black crud spinning out on your new pulley is dirty oil on your generator shaft.. maybe carbon from wearing of the brushes mixed in.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can you hear a vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback, good points thank you.

Update: Got it running and idling nicely. Reverted to the old generator pulley with a new belt and got it on there with the right tension.

Engine tin seems a lot cooler now too. Lots learned.

Onwards and thanks again!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: