Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 590, 591, 592 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the Radius Bushing kit from Chris/T3. These are the first Urethane Bushings I’ve ever had in a personal vehicle.
Funny that it took this many years to go with Urethane Bushings in a swap out over stock rubber ones.
Crisp steering, good with bumps and uneven roads so far.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sugar Mountain snagged more VW's today. Seems to have a gravitational field that pulls 'em up there!. Now there's 7 VW's on that mountain Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For some reason The Notch we moved today didn't get pix. I'll have to correct that error.

Anyway, the crew here moved 6 VW's and an Allis Chalmers tractor today. All went well.

-bobby
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did those motor mounts get replaced yet… Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Prepped and ready to hoist tomorrow. Was gonna install tonight but ran out of steam.

Looking a bit better than a few months ago!

Freshly rebuilt transmission by SyncroShop with new 5.43 R$P and goodies.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Redid the wood kicker plate with satin poly. Layed down new carpet from Costco (15$ outdoor rug), and painted/regripped the kicker plate.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I modified and then installed a new heater valve (#74828 which contradicts the numbers in this thread)

Found and repaired what I hope is the source of an intermittent loss of power.

Added a rubber grommet to help protect the O2 sensor wire

The foam for the rear seat/bed finally came in so I test fit that (the covers are getting sown up this weekend)

Used an old bike brake lever to whip up an inside hatch release (I promise I'll do a much better job of finishing this when I get new interior panels Wink )

And since I had the hatch panel off, I "glued" the support structure back to the skin with some exterior silicone stuff I picked up at Home Depot.

Not too bad for one day's wrenching I'd say. Very Happy

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:

I modified and then installed a new heater valve (#74828 which contradicts the numbers in this thread) Very Happy

There are two different numbered valves of each design that look identical but have different part numbers in this thread you link.

The reason is that you need to know your coolant flow direction in your mounting location.
These valves will NOT shut off the flow 100% if the flow is reversed through the valve.

It is absolutely identical to the 74827 except for flow direction.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

There are two different numbered valves of each design that look identical but have different part numbers in this thread you link.

The reason is that you need to know your coolant flow direction in your mounting location.
These valves will NOT shut off the flow 100% if the flow is reversed through the valve.

It is absolutely identical to the 74827 except for flow direction.

Dave

Oh, I know! I actually have both versions. I couldn't find any locally, so when I ordered one, Amazon sent the valve with the cable attachment on the input side in a box labeled 74827. When I couldn't get that one installed, I tried ordering 74828 and received the one you see in my pics above. Moral of the story, hold the thing in your hand and look at it if at all possible to confirm its the correct thing and in the right box. YMMV

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to making an interior panel for the sliding door. Making it from scratch was ...tedious. Anyway, its not perfect but a lot nicer than not having one at all.

I also finished the toolbox/jack storage/shelf in the back-back.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pretty. So you went with the 5.43. I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

MsTaboo wrote:
Prepped and ready to hoist tomorrow. Was gonna install tonight but ran out of steam.
[img]
Freshly rebuilt transmission by SyncroShop with new 5.43 R$P and goodies.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
Finally got around to making an interior panel for the sliding door. Making it from scratch was ...tedious. Anyway, its not perfect but a lot nicer than not having one at all.

Looks great! I love the bare wood look. I wanted it for my interior but I know my greasy hands would make it look terrible in short order.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
TomInAlaska wrote:

Looks great! I love the bare wood look. I wanted it for my interior but I know my greasy hands would make it look terrible in short order.

It's retro, it harkens back to the early Westy's...........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Recently: Completed repairs on the Syncro including dash blower, power mirror switch, rewired aux lights, and some cosmetic work.
Sent transaxle out for rebuild. Replaced shift bushings etc.
Expect trans shortly and will reinstall w/ clutch assy/TO bearing and hi torque starter.
TBD: The 12-year-old battery has been a superstar but may not survive this latest period of inactivity. I will recharge on the repair cycle, but I fear the worst.

More recently: Acquired an evap. housing to replace the one currently disintegrating in my Van. A/C repairs will commence after trans install is complete.

Ongoing side project: Frankenbug progress should accelerate when Syncro is healthy again.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bus Depot land rover mirrors installed
fit perfectly
5min job
Rear discs
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed GW gas piston stove bracket. Only thing I would add to instructions is to take off the seat belt bracket so you have more room to tilt the stove top further back - this allows room to connect the ball-socket joint - it's hard to compress that piston by hand when connecting.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
Installed GW gas piston stove bracket. Only thing I would add to instructions is to take off the seat belt bracket so you have more room to tilt the stove top further back - this allows room to connect the ball-socket joint - it's hard to compress that piston by hand when connecting.

Any feedback on it yet? Did it help with rattle?

See you already kindly are offering the original in the karma thread. Thank you for doing that and send like you are confident in this hydraulic.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oh yea - it's a lot more solid than that original bracket and reduces the rattle. Seems pretty dang solid
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Building a new rear table from butcher-block. Couldn't find a used matching dark brown rear table at anything like a good price, but luckily I have the mounting plate and leg so thought I would make a useable substitute top till I find the real deal. Super fun little project, just beeswaxed it and now have to oil it daily for a week or so.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Mounted the new Eurovan seats! Little Bluey fired up first touch of the key after sitting all winter - that's the sort of attitude I like to see in a machine, yet one so rarely does.

Horrible colour clash between VW's ancient dark brown and the newer greys - but I'm in love with the seats regardless! If I was a billionaire I would buy new grey door panels and a new grey carpet.

But I dream.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^ Those are nice! Much better than the beat ones I got, but I'm not complaining. The comfort makes up for it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 590, 591, 592 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 591 of 631

Jump to: