Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm happy to be able to contribute and I apologize if we're getting too off topic...

The 4th window is very subtle and done well. I only noticed it when the '52 came back from stripping and I was touching up some bodywork before primer. There were some inconsistencies in the beltline below the window, then I noticed the same on the other side and then looking closer, I could make it out. I never had the inner liner out so not sure what it looks like on the inside. Honestly, with a coat of primer, you wouldn't see it but I feel it adds to the general unrefined look of that panel. Especially the long side... Like I mentioned earlier, the beltline isn't straight, the upper part of that panel and driprail has a slight bow down the whole side, and the seems are inconsistent like it was pulled and stretched to be spot welded to the surrounding panels. That whole panel is really wavy just below the driprail, and a later bus just isn't like that.

I believe my '51 Standard (14119) is still one of the earliest known sunroofs.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
Does your standard have full dash or a regular small dash pod?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
DSweinhagen wrote:
Does your standard have full dash or a regular small dash pod?

I believe it originally had a full dash. Unfortunately, it didn't get replaced after an early front end collision and repair. Below, you can see the original Silver grey coming through the dash and heater tube. You can see the darker grey on the replaced A-pillars, nose, inner kick, etc. The holes in the dash match Donny's Mahag '51 with full dash (15554).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Good 51/2 skylight pictures here, from p3 of David’s 52 Deluxe thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8448568&highlight=#8448568

You’d have to build those areas off the bus, wouldn’t you
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Really interesting to revisit these photos; and personally, I agree with you Chris.
Florian Kalff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Quote:
You’d have to build those areas off the bus, wouldn’t you

Yes, I agree!

Now it does make sense to me why they stamped the VIN in the sunroof´s front bow of 15448! They obviously created the roof separated from the body and by marking the front bow they knew on which bus the roof had to be mounted. Mark has to check if on the roof itself there is also the VIN stamped in, it would make sense and it wouldn´t suprise me at all, cause they also stamped "448" in the dash for the same reason obviously. They didn´t want to mess up this handmade process.
Florian Kalff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Without this Beetle, I wouldn´t have started the Samba-project Reply with quote

This one is not about the ´51 Samba in the strictest sense, but without this little Beetle wouldn´t have started the whole Samba project:

Link

There are English subtitles, so if you are interested about my aircooled career.... At least this car taught me shifting a crash gear box and it was a good lesson about how to save patina and history.

There will an update in Samba blog soon, Mark was busy and promised me to send some pictures in the next days. Can´t wait!
I promise to write about it during the coming Christmas days!

Florian
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

that was a fun video. i enjoyed that a lot. thanks for sharing!
Lincolndanny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm checking every day for the next update!
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

But what there’s more, videos here.

https://youtube.com/c/VEWIB

Should be interesting restoreration of 1951 Samba. Rough!

Danke
wbbbbbbb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

And best video of how it looks now.

Link

Florian Kalff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Good morning everyone,

the new post is online finally.
Hope you enjoy it.

Happy New Year!

Florian

http://www.samba.vewib.de
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Great update Florian and great work as ever by Mr Spicer!

Your link doesn’t work immediately; you need to remove the /[url] after .de

Keep the updates coming please.

Cheers. Dave

PS. It would be great to also see a post about the parts you recovered from the Wolfsburg swamp samba too please 😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Sunroof header bow Reply with quote

Nice detail

One correction…for the section that states ‘in 1952 the production turned more professional’:

The header bow’s main upper and lower panels were both spliced/made using 3 sections until at least Jan 56…and probably until the end of Wolfsburg production in mid-56. The dual weld lines remind me of the pressed bumpers.

Both the upper and lower panels from this Jan 56 header bow are stamped with the Assembly Number (170).
The sunroof mechanism is stamped with the production date (1.56).

By at least Jan 54, the Assembly Number was just a stand alone reference number. It did not tie to the VIN or Body Number.

Upper panel, underside:

Shows underside of both panels:

Shows topside of upper panel & underside of lower panel:

Assembly Number (170) stamped on both upper & lower panels:

Mechanism date stamp (1.56) on one of the arms:

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Very interesting info , Chris !
Why would they make this a 3 piece part, when the added center part is the most flat and easiest to make?

In my mind the only logical answer to that is that they widened an existing stamped one piece header bow with adding the center piece, possibly the 3 fold bug header bow panel ?

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
slammed shady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

In case you have missed the last update, you should have a look! Smile

https://blog.entfallteiledienst.de/
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Top job 👏
Florian Kalff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Sorry for being quiet in my blog, but I am super busy completing the Samba for Hessisch-Oldenburg. I am working every evening until midnight to get the Bus ready for road, so there is no time to write literary essays for the blog currently.
But my new hired social media skilled IT-kids in the VEWIB-company are creating videos for the VEWIB-Youtube channel. I really do like their work, for an 100% analog guy as me this video creating looks like very scientific stuff, but the kids taught me: “That´s an easy job! So much easier than any video we have done for other companies. We don´t need authors, we don´t even need a script, we just put the camera on you crazy old story telling machine and it just works.” (There are also English subtitles in the videos)
Funny result of this new Youtube stuff is that people call me: “Hey, I know where is another old Bus in the forest!” So, last weekend I collected the remains of a ´52 Bus just 60km away from my workshop and on Sunday I will go for a 1954 sitting in the woods of my neighborhood for decades. None of these is worth restoring, but there were some last missing parts for the Samba.
Hope to see you in Hessisch-Oldendorf!

Florian

Link

myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Still amazing to see what you started with! I enjoyed the video. Cool
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Great video (although sub titles in this one would have been useful for me as a non German speaker).

I’m interesting to see and learn more about your new 52 and 54 finds Florian

Many thanks

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: