Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Sportster - Four Seater
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking to home-build a Sportster and have found the plans for the two seater but can't find any for the four seater... any leads or help would be greatly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks,

Ollie[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

Four seaters were sold as turn key and semi-finished kits.

The only differences would be an unshortened vw chassis and 12" longer lower body side rails.

Also most 4 seater windshields didn't hinge. The original ad photo was retouched to remove the hinge. They also had top corner extensions to support the surrey top

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

I can see that fabrication of the body in the rear seat area is not the same as working from the original plans. But not all too complicated either.

The back seat used appears to be stock Bug back seat supported by a 1" x 1/8" angle iron frame.

The body around the seat is simple. But it would be cool if someone took some detail pictures of the body structure in the back.

The surrey top structure could be made of 1.25" x .065 wall tube. That's pretty much the same as 1" EMT conduit and you could probably use a conduit hickey to bend the tubing.

Personally, If I would build one it would be with a real roll cage because people on the roads these days are wacko.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

I have always liked the Sportster. If I ever build another vw based (or any) it would be a Sportster, and I would love it to be a 4 seater. I agree with Richard about a cage.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

I think the prototype 4 seater in the first picture might be a better design than the production version. The prototype re-used the front seat side rail, moved to the rear seat. The prototype also had the rolled rear "pick-up" bed edge which supported the side rail. I think the prototype might make it be a bit harder for the rear seat occupants to enter/exit, but would probably provide a bit more feeling of security for them than the cut back flat rail EMPI used in production.

Also the vertical tubes besides the occupants heads on the white one are just unacceptable.

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

This EMPI Sportster 4 seater body was included in a yard sale in Apple Valley this week. Word is it was bought by a VW mechanic

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Sportster - Four Seater Reply with quote

I like the color orange, interesting how the rear fenders are narrow, I kinda like it. Hopefully the new owner will jump on The Samba and give us details.

Tony
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: