Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Does anyone know what the extra 3 holes around the receiver are for?

Some types of sheetmetal parts will have tooling holes which are used to fix the part on locating pins during fabrication. This is especially true if more than one stamping operation is needed on a single part. Sometimes these holes are filled for cosmetic reasons, but if that's not an issue, they're just left as is.

My '67 has them too, so I'd assume they were part of the original design.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

The blue brake hoses are the original ones. I have them on 1971 as well.
If they are in good shape keep them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
By the way, Does anyone know what the extra 3 holes around the receiver are for?

The same panel is used for LHD and RHD cars. The release wire is held by a screw that faces upwards and is tightened by inserting an appropriately sized phillips head screwdriver in the hole. One hole for LHD where the release wire approaches from the left and one hole for RHD where the approach is from the right.
The photo below shows both but the screw is missing from the LHD part
The third hole is for this version of the plate, where yours uses another version (news to me) and access is via that second hole.

I get a cigar for that?
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

By the way, Does anyone know what the extra 3 holes around the receiver are for?

The same panel is used for LHD and RHD cars. The release wire is held by a screw that faces upwards and is tightened by inserting an appropriately sized phillips head screwdriver in the hole. One hole for LHD where the release wire approaches from the left and one hole for RHD where the approach is from the right.
The photo below shows both but the screw is missing from the LHD part
The third hole is for this version of the plate, where yours uses another version (news to me) and access is via that second hole.

I get a cigar for that?
Nicholas

Also, re the 2 release mechanisms, not just LHD or RHD. 68 was first year for the release handle in the glovebox so it is pulled from passenger side. The other is 67 and earlier , those the release was a pull under the steering wheel on driver side. I say half a cigar. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I get a cigar for that?

c21darrel wrote:
I say half a cigar. Wink

A cigar to both of you good gentlemen! The LHD/RHD thing makes much more sense than my 'tooling hole' theory anyway...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
I get a cigar for that?

c21darrel wrote:
I say half a cigar. Wink

A cigar to both of you good gentlemen! The LHD/RHD thing makes much more sense than my 'tooling hole' theory anyway...

Again, I'm amazed at all the small, unnoticeable changes to the Karmann Ghia year after year. Thank you for all these facts. I like knowing all these details.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
That thick heavy “wire” is actually the conduit for the passenger side air duct control.

Shocked thanks, you're the man! Laughing I had to go out and take another look. I obviously didn't look very hard.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

And yes the VW factory often used the blue brake hose and yes you should replace it as it gets brittle over time and 'weeps' which leads to the damaged paint. Make sure you replace it with proper brake hose
here's the stuff from Heritage
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/n0203501-br...OYQAvD_BwE
I'm sure you will find other sources
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
That thick heavy “wire” is actually the conduit for the passenger side air duct control.

Shocked thanks, you're the man! Laughing I had to go out and take another look. I obviously didn't look very hard.

Pretty scary when I’m the man in things Karmann Ghia.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
...i would be more concerned about running unleaded fuel without a lead substitute. Unless the heads were reworked or replaced it likely the valve seats aren't hardened to handle unleaded gas.

VW always installed hardened steel valve seats in their air-cooled cylinder heads. As long as you're using fuel with the correct octane rating for the motor's compression ratio, you'll have no problems running unleaded gas.

From Rob & Dave's Aircooled Volkswagen Pages:
"...but fortunately for VW owners, the VW engine has hardened steel valve seats in the aluminium heads so valve seat recession is not a problem. The VW engine does NOT need lead or lead substitutes in fuel."

Their entire discussion on fuel additives can be found here: http://www.vw-resource.com/additives.html#lead

That's great news!
Thanks for that Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
...i would be more concerned about running unleaded fuel without a lead substitute. Unless the heads were reworked or replaced it likely the valve seats aren't hardened to handle unleaded gas.

VW always installed hardened steel valve seats in their air-cooled cylinder heads. As long as you're using fuel with the correct octane rating for the motor's compression ratio, you'll have no problems running unleaded gas.

From Rob & Dave's Aircooled Volkswagen Pages:
"...but fortunately for VW owners, the VW engine has hardened steel valve seats in the aluminium heads so valve seat recession is not a problem. The VW engine does NOT need lead or lead substitutes in fuel."

Their entire discussion on fuel additives can be found here: http://www.vw-resource.com/additives.html#lead

Great link. Thank you. You are a VW expert. Smile

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Regarding the board in your front trunk, I believe it would have been there originally. You can see in these pics from before restoration. Also, blue brake hoses which probably caused the blistered paint. I relocated the brake fluid reservoir to above the master cylinder but kept the original empty with new, blue braided hose. I’ll find a pic.

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Moving to the trunk area...
Under the original trunk liner, which is awaiting repair, the trunk is fairly untouched. There is a sheet of tar/ hardboard which is loosely glued in place, not sure if that was its original position though?

The paint is peeling away, with some surface rust. The seals have been leaking for at least the last year.

The spare tyre well is dry and solid though!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Here you go. Love your thread by the way!!

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Just between you and me, I'm going to do a little trick.
I've relocated the brake fluid reservoir to directly above the master cylinder, but I've reconnected up the old reservoir, blue hose and metal tubes. I've linked the bottom end of the tubes together and it has just occurred to me that I could fill the reservoir with brake fluid, so no-one would be any the wiser.
But I won't.

I also wriggled the fuel tank back into position but, in getting the main hoses connected, managed to scrape off some paint. You can't see it, so it will just have to be another battle scar.

I just need the cable sheath for the bonnet release to arrive, and then we'll be driving again. Yay Laughing !

Much better than before I started all of this!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I'm just a lurker who grew up with VWs, and eventually grew too big to drive them. Looking at this, takes me back to the days of my youth. One was a mostly original lotus white 1968 KG convertible with a bad metallic light blue respray. My dad bought it from one of his air force buddies in the late seventies for a few hundred dollars. It needed some minor repairs and a new top. This was the only car we ever kept in our garage. In 1980, I got my drivers license and would be allowed to drive it. After I left home for the air force, my dad parked it planning on a restoration. This never happened of course. My folks split up in the early nineties and my mom offered it to me. I was a married with a newborn, living in military housing and couldn't afford to store or take it. I regret that now. He also left her with a mostly original sea sand '66 Beetle with a poorly repaired dent behind the drivers door I could have had.
If anyone from The Tidewater area of Virginia reads this, and knows the history of these cars from my youth, PM me.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Regarding the board in your front trunk, I believe it would have been there originally. You can see in these pics from before restoration. Also, blue brake hoses which probably caused the blistered paint. I relocated the brake fluid reservoir to above the master cylinder but kept the original empty with new, blue braided hose. I’ll find a pic.

Thank you for your post Phil.
I was pretty sure the pressed board was original since it was still glued in place but it was the first time I'd seen a picture of these so nice to see your picture of the same thing. Nice job with your brake flued reservoir by the way. I have been keeping up with your thread as well and glad to see new activity.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

trh351 wrote:
I'm just a lurker who grew up with VWs, and eventually grew too big to drive them. Looking at this, takes me back to the days of my youth. One was a mostly original lotus white 1968 KG convertible with a bad metallic light blue respray. My dad bought it from one of his air force buddies in the late seventies for a few hundred dollars. It needed some minor repairs and a new top. This was the only car we ever kept in our garage. In 1980, I got my drivers license and would be allowed to drive it. After I left home for the air force, my dad parked it planning on a restoration. This never happened of course. My folks split up in the early nineties and my mom offered it to me. I was a married with a newborn, living in military housing and couldn't afford to store or take it. I regret that now. He also left her with a mostly original sea sand '66 Beetle with a poorly repaired dent behind the drivers door I could have had.
If anyone from The Tidewater area of Virginia reads this, and knows the history of these cars from my youth, PM me.

Small world. I was in the Navy and living in Virginia Beach near the south gate of Norfolk Naval Base from 1982 -1986. Too bad you weren't able to hang onto those cars. How cool would it be to still have them today.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I had a visit from a VW expert today and he checked out Regatta. He worked for a local VW repair business back in the early 80s and he's a human VW encyclopedia. I learned that I was wrong about the spare tire being original. The tire is certainly old, maybe mid 70s. As a lot of you must know, he informed me that VW's back then came with Continental tires. What is on the spare is a Shell Comfort Ride 5.60-15.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I had a visit from a VW expert today and he checked out Regatta. He worked for a local VW repair business back in the early 80s and he's a human VW encyclopedia. I learned that I was wrong about the spare tire being original. The tire is certainly old, maybe mid 70s. As a lot of you must know, he informed me that VW's back then came with Continental tires. What is on the spare is a Shell Comfort Ride 5.60-15.

Sure looks great to me!😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

Sure looks great to me!😎

Thanks,
She looks pretty dirty to me! Embarassed I've got many months of work to do to clean this car up. The fun is just beginning.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Regatta's original Sapphire IX AM radio didn't work and even if it did, only AM stations isn't going to cut it.
Excuse her less than glamourous appearance. She needs detailing in the worst way. I'll get to everything in time but for now, I'm trying to enjoy driving her and getting one project done at a time.

In my stash of parts, I had a Sapphire XII AM/FM radio that was included in a parts lot I purchased 2 years ago. I didn't have any use for it until now, but I really didn't think it would be functional. I tested it today and the AM doesn't work but the FM works great. The face place is metal on the AM radio, but plastic on the AM/FM and both shaft holes was cracked and damaged. The metal AM face plate would have fit but it's not exactly the same. I tried some super glue it and it seems to have done the job.

The Sapphire XII has two black wires one with a fuse and the other marked "Must Be Grounded". The Sapphire IX however had no ground wire. I read that the case provides the ground but the dash opening is completely covered with the wood laminate and the stud for supporting the back of the radio was not being used. Out of curiosity, I ran a wire from the stud to a body screw and it came to life. The original dead AM radio works great. It's now in a box of original Regatta parts to be preserved.

The Sapphire XII went in easily other than having to be double jointed to reach all the wires and nuts.

Getting the nuts on the radio knob shafts was quite a challenge for one person. There's hardly no spare threads for the nuts to screw onto and without someone to push the radio against the dash, I wasn't having any luck. I ended up cutting a stick to just the right length and with one end against the spare tire and the other against the back of the radio, I finally was able to get the nuts on.

I now have decent tunes in the car and it's still original parts.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 26

Jump to: