Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Assembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Engine Assembly Reply with quote

Hey guys, quick one here. I'm putting the crank/cam two halves together.

Is there a good trick to getting the dowels in? I was sure I had all three seated fully and the one that comes in half. So all 4. Took quite awhile aswell I had the flywheel on still. No pressure plate or clutch to save some weight. I dont have a large enough wrench/socket for the flywheel itself.

I got the two halves of the case together, they seamed by eye perfect with just my body weight pressing them together. I could still rotate the crank with ease. I than put on just the 6 larger nuts at 20lbs as the manual stated. Now the crank spins still, but seemingly tight. I was under the presumption it would be very easy to spin. I did not replace or change any bearings so they are a fit.

Should once you add some nuts to the two halves it be super easy to turn or somewhat stiff? It doesnt bind at any point just overall stiffer than I would think.

PS I did located the cam and crank dimples as the manual helped me understand.

Thanks!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Assembly Reply with quote

It should not be stiff. You need to take it apart and see what's up. Look for witness marks, or remeasure your holes.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Assembly Reply with quote

HurpMcDurp wrote:
Hey guys, quick one here. I'm putting the crank/cam two halves together.

Is there a good trick to getting the dowels in? I was sure I had all three seated fully and the one that comes in half. So all 4.

There's 4 on the left side, so 5 total.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Assembly Reply with quote

Why did you split the case if you put the old bearings back in? A 36MM socket isn't very expensive, maybe you smashed the flywheel crank seal.
HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Assembly Reply with quote

..Ya'll are right and it should be alot louder. I bought the 36mm socket, best 20 dollars of my life.

TAKE OFF THE FLYWHEEL. IT WILL HINDER YOU GREATLY...

I dont have or ever done these things but Im young and growing.

I GOT THE ENGINE HALVES TOGETHER, TORQUED AND IT SPINS! I am on cloud 9. This all means alot more than just an engine rebuild to me, I am alive and growing. Those that know understand, its pulling me away from life in a good way.

( edit for what fixed, I am sure one of the dowels on the flywheel side was off, without the weight I could precisely tell. It should told to those not sure its a Must. ) The case was even closing flush before with this error, but the bottom right of 6 larger nuts was the only nut making it bind so I said, lets just take this damn flywheel off. Wasnt hard with an impact and a 36mm. )))))))))))))))))))))) Happy Memorial day weekend folks..
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Assembly Reply with quote

Next time you rebuild an engine, even if reusing bearings.
Place the circular bearings in the saddles with the dowel pins in place, mark the bearings with a micro fine sharpie along the case split.

That way you can visually verify that the bearings are seated in the saddles correctly. Before, attempting to close the case.

Also, It is a recommended practice, to mock the engine completely.
Before sealing anything on a lower end.
That includes, verifying the rocker arm geometry.
After all the mock up work is complete.
Tear the engine back down, lube the lifters and bearings.
Seal the case.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: